Talk me into a deer rifle

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only reason can be to stabilize heavy for caliber bullets. With the ballistic coefficients you can get into that would be one heck of a long range coyote rifle.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update on this: There’s no freakin way I’ll be threading the barrel on the Kimber, not with a .308 In fact, now that I’ve looked at a schematic, I’m amazed that the manufacturer is putting a 7/16” thread on .308 rifles. Basically, the tip of your barrel, where you could be repeatedly torquing a silencer off and on, will have a barrel wall thickness of around 1/20”. That’s a recipe for disaster. I could try 1/2” threads but wouldn’t have much of a shoulder and the barrel wall would still be pretty thin.

I’ve concluded that the best way to avoid problems with a .30 projectile is to stick to a heavier barrel or not worry about suppressing it. I’ll hang on to the Kimber but it won’t be quiet or easy-shooting.

- - - Updated - - -

Kimber’s factory threading doesn’t have the narrow collar that this manufacturer recommends, but you’d probably need it. Even if your silencer adapter didn’t require the collar, the depth of the threading is a diameter of .4129”
B8658209-D4AD-40A7-A92B-4420788071FC.jpg

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bed Wetter I am going to PM you with an idea and give you the number of a gun smith in Michigan that may be able to help you.

I have another concern about adding a suppressor to a thinner barrel: harmonics. Thinner barrels have a considerable amount of “whip” and I can’t wrap my head around how putting a 1lb can on the end of the barrel wouldn’t jack up the natural harmonics of the barrel. I don’t know what it would mean for accuracy and so far I haven’t been able to find much info on it. Everyone says that “POI will shift a little,” but that’s a broad statement.

The fact of the matter is, there’s not enough experience out there with silencers yet to definitively answer these questions and I’m too much of a novice to figure it out myself. If there were more knowledge about silencers, you wouldn’t see major manufacturers like Remington, S&W, Ruger, and Kimber putting threads on rifles that don’t allow a silencer to be mounted.

Oh yeah, that’s another thing: if a barrel is threaded and the manufacturer says it’s “suppressor ready” that’s probably BS. Pretty much every rifle I encounter with factory threads requires additional machine work in order for the suppressor or muzzle device to mount flush against the shoulder. Pre-threaded barrels are worthless and it’s mind-boggling that manufacturers don’t know it.

Edit: All of my ARs with adjustable gas blocks are designed from the ground up to host a silencer. Those rifles are threaded correctly. The typical “sportsman’s” guns thread barrels as an afterthought.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is your guys thoughts on a 280 remington model 700 ammo seems reasonable price

I wanted a 280 Rem in model 700 way back when I bought my 7 mm Rem Mag. I just couldn't afford the cost of the 280s I found, they were all in Remington Classic's lineup and people seemed to think they were made of gold.

Note. I just never thought I needed a magnum, and already having a 25-06, the 270 Win was just too close in offerings to it. So the 7 was the route I went.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 6