Tax Preparation

Snapper

I've been using a Tax Preparations place for the past 4 years and the price keeps going up every year. I'm retired and I just think maybe I can do this online and maybe not get bothered by the IRS. I'm not the smartest pencil in the box when it comes time to do taxes but I'm retired now and I think it should be fairly easy, I hope.
What is everyone else using for doing taxes online? I appreciate your input.

Don

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been doing my own since 69 but not online. There have been issues like just got a check for $210 to correct my math from last year. Irs has sent some other checks to me, and one was for $800. That was a nice surprise. Once they wanted $2500 from me but in the end, they gave up on that after many threats.

But it all worked out. You have copies of previous returns to go by, db

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you can work a computer you should be fine. But if your a geek like me it could be a mistake. Just flat ass tell your tax rep that you're on a fixed income and you will look somewhere else if need be. If you have been in their system for 4 years its easy peezy for them. There is room for negotiation if they are a private firm not like the big box tax preps where someone in a penthouse sets the price that they all have to charge. I got simple tax return and I pay under 100.00 and they do the e-mail for me. Cost less than dentist and less painful in the long run and if there is a audit they come with and do the talking plus the tax lady is kind of cute and where can you talk to pretty lady for an hour for a 100.00. And talking at 75 is about it. LB

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
db dont be surprised that they still may have some type of grip on you and you dont even know it.. IRS is so far behind still and no i doubt they are going to be able to hire 80k people.

Buy turbo tax or some program. I cant imagine preparing it old school.. Those paper returns god knows are far they are behind on those.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a pretty standard income wife and yourself, with not a lot of changes taxes are easy.

Snapper

Hey, I appreciate all the help. I'll probably call my Tax person and see if they can lower the cost. Like you all said it should be easy and they probably do it all online anyway. Should be easy peezy right. Thanks again

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Short:

I hope they get here before i die as i am old. Look forward to it and never did understand why in the middle of them trying to get more monies from me they just quit sending letters. db

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short:

I hope they get here before i die as i am old. Look forward to it and never did understand why in the middle of them trying to get more monies from me they just quit sending letters. db
Better watch out DB :unsure:, as some night the will probably come to your house with a SWAT team :eek:, you radical you. ;)

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No worry:

They sent me $210 just last week as they said i made a mistake on SS bill due on some self-employed work i did. Need to look that up on my return to see what i did wrong.
If they did that, the old problem cannot be an issue anymore on the books. You think.
They did spell our names wrong on that check but bank cash it for me
anyways. And i am sure it was due us. The wife, not so sure. Time will tell.
Have 3 checks for $1 each from the IRS on my desk over the last few years that i never cashed. db

Last edited:

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
If you itemize it’s definitely worth having a professional imo. Competent professional I might add

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you get a check back from the IRS you better keep it for awhile, the hind ends will most likely send you a bill plus interest for something

Snapper

Thanks for all the information. It's all helpful. Way back in the day I used to do my taxes, didn't seem too bad but I got bit a couple times and had to pay in and with interest, which burns my ...s. I'm going to do them myself again. I don't itemize so I think I can get by without an issue.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you itemize it’s definitely worth having a professional imo. Competent professional I might add
much higher chance of getting audited too, when you itemize

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been using Tax Act online for quite a few years now.
At times the data entry seems like it should be easier. ?
But I keep going back and use it each year. LOL

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think i am a rare one. but, i use taxslayer. probably since way back in 2006 or so. i liked the way it guided me through it early one when i started itemizing. now all my information is stored and pulls over from year to year. so, its just what i've stuck with. and it seems to work.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46