The Food Plot & Habitat Thread

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've read a lot of good info on here and thought it would be great to have a place where everyone could share their food plot & habitat work in one place. Sharing what worked for you/didn't sure is helpful to those of us starting out.

I'm just starting out on a couple different projects, the family farm (upland mainly) and the in-laws farm (deer mainly). Got into the trail cameras this year and it has been a blast. Obviously hunting is part of the fun but seeing what is living on the land is a blast and trying to make it better for them is the goal.

A few random questions-

Winter cover & food plots- Anyone have any luck with thick winter cover type food plots? We lack in some areas. Sorghum blends can be pretty hearty, I've walked a few of the hunting strips left at the end of the year and it can be fun to see the birds come out of them covered in snow. Some people even leave them for two years....thoughts?

Brushy cover- The PF and GF guys don't recommend tall trees for raptor reasons. We're looking at some thermal/winter cover plantings. Besides cedars, what types of short trees/bushes have you had good luck with in our neck of the woods? Drought tolerant, as if we need a reminder this year.

Deer plot sizing- What have you found to be too small or a waste of time? A lot of the plots we are looking at would be small, 1/8 an acre or smaller in some cases. But, there would be several throughout a mile long section of wooded creek.

Deer plot blends- What has worked or not worked for you? Heard lots of good things about different varieties of rape plants. Brassicas seem to be hit or miss, some like then some don't. Beans are a great one if you have enough. We're going to try beans as there aren't any in our area, pressure could be the big issue. What about chicory or kale? Simple stuff like winter rye seems easy too.

Hopefully we can put a lot of info out there for others to use!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
" there would be several throughout a mile long section of wooded creek"

Sounds like you have first base covered if there is water in the creek year around. Also , Several smaller plots are probably better than one big plot in my opinion, No such thing as too small because every little bit helps.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My garden doubled as a food plot this year, not that I meant it that way.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually plant corn, sunflowers, winter wheat (provides good green the following spring), sugar beets, and turnips. I'm going to try forage soybeans next year. As for a bush, caragana is an ugly bush, but is very tough and provides good raptor protection. Lilacs also work for this. Plus when I pick fresh lilacs for the Mrs., I usually get baked goods!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy and I are have been looking at doing a little and will hopefully start next year to help supplement especially for late season forage. We have a very mixed area to work with, some low river and swamp areas, hardwoods with lots of oaks, crop land that is usually rotated between beans and corn so there is always lots of that, pasture land and some hay land with some native grass and diminishing alfalfa.
A couple things that seem to be working against us is that the pasture land will have cattle grazing on it which means they will benefit but could wipe things out quickly and in some areas near the crops I worry more about overspray from the farmer. Any suggestions for later season stuff after the last roundup would be probably sprayed?

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too plan on planting some plots in the future. I basically have 5-6 acres to work with so right now I'm in the search for a couple implements. Have an H international with no 3 point so my options for equipment aren't numerous.

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
For bushes, caragana and false indigo are plants that will spread and provide cover and the deer don't seem to bother them at my place (don't need any protection).

Plums, elderberry, hazelnuts, willows, and dogwoods are my favorite, because they provide browse and mast - but these do need protection for the first couple years usually - tubes work in small plantings. Maybe if you did a several acres the deer wouldn't get em all? Never tried a large planting.

I've planted some Russian Olive also - think it's a good tree for deer/pheasants - it can spread on it's own a bit if left unchecked, but I don't think we have major problems in this state w/ trees getting out of hand unless you live along a river. Any that started to spread grow slow enough they would be easy to stay ahead of if needed. Some love them and some hate them - guess it's all your preference.

For food plots, don't forgot to consider planting some apple trees if you have a good spot - becomes an annual food plot w/ out the input once established. Other fruit/nut trees also - pears/oaks/etc.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
For cover i would say buck brush. For cover plus food I would go with buffalo berry and choke cherry shrubs. For crop or food plots go with corn and sorghum. If you have enough moisture I would put some willows in also. After that then put up a really good barb wire fence with a no trespass sign every 50 feet or so. Then trap, shoot or snare all predators and pray for mild winters.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
" there would be several throughout a mile long section of wooded creek"

Sounds like you have first base covered if there is water in the creek year around. Also , Several smaller plots are probably better than one big plot in my opinion, No such thing as too small because every little bit helps.

Yes, there are some good starting points down there. We just have no attracting power, there is good ag land all surround and lots of pheasant driven food plots. We are hoping something different out there will help attract deer to the area rather than just passing through. Plenty of cover to hold them there if they like it and little disturbance. I am planning right now about 12-15 mini plots throughout the creek as a first try. We are going to plan several different things and see what works.

Thanks for all the info on trees/shrubs! We'll be looking at maybe 1 1/2 acres of trees. One large plot with another 8 row strip. Probably all hand plants, my back is sore already! Our first batch of trees had fabric but the contract did not allow mowing or spraying....and you can tell. Hopefully we can keep them clean and these will do better.

I am really interested in the forage soybeans. The Eagle RR ones in particular. My only concern is having enough to survive browse pressure. The RR part is appealing in that it will really help clean up the plots to start. And very few beans in the area to begin with. We thought about taking the planter and drilling 12 rows right into sprayed out pasture. Not sure how it would work but then we could work it in the fall.

For late season stuff, there are guys that swear by brassicas. They won't hit them till it's late though. Plant in late July early August, so unless they are doing fall burn down spray should not be an issue. Rape is also one that was mentioned by a guy on here, he said he had much more success on that than with brassicas. Seems like some deer like them some don't. Getting to be a lot of guys planting rads/turnips for cover crops in our areas now too, so that could change things a bit.

Apple trees...yes! Amazing the attracting power. Just gotta protect them until they can survive the deer!

I need to research the old threads a bit to refresh my memory on a few things!

- - - Updated - - -

Some good old threads-

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?8970-Food-plot-planning&highlight=food+plot

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?8077-Small-Food-Plots-for-Deer&highlight=food+plot

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?6899-Food-plot&highlight=food+plot

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?1597-best-no-til-fall-plot-seed&highlight=food+plot

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88