Three Underrated Venison Cuts to Cook on the Fourth of July

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
by David Draper
IMG_20150609_193045.jpg

Most of us are six or seven months removed from the last day of deer season. Even those of us lucky enough to have tagged an elk last season might be facing a pretty skinny freezer. Definitely the tenderloins are gone, as are the backstraps. There might be some sirloin or round steaks left in there, but that’s it for steaks or chops worthy of the grill. Or maybe not. Here are three venison cuts that you might not have considered grilling, but will actually make for a great 4th of July feast.
Ribs: Most hunters, if they keep rib meat at all, just strip it from the bones and grind it, but venison ribs are edible on the bone if they are cooked right. The challenge is dealing with all that slick grease, but if you do them low and slow, they end up tender and delicious. Trying adapting this recipe from Michael Shea for your smoker or grill.
Shoulder Steak: Like the rib meat, shoulders usually end up in the grinder, or cut and tied as a rolled roast, but there are actually a couple of very flavorful steaks found here. Because these muscles do a lot of work while the deer is living, the steaks can be tough. Your options include tenderizing them with a meat mallet or Jaccard tenderizer, cutting the steaks into strips for kabobs, or grilling the steak whole and slicing it thin across the grain.
Eye of Round: One of my favorite cuts, this little muscle is attached to the bottom round, but seperates easily via blunt dissection. It looks a lot like the tenderloin, but in my opinion is better. It definitely has more flavor and has a bit more tooth than the tenderloin, which is too soft in my opinion. Grill the eye of round up whole and slice it into medallions. Tell your friends you’re serving them tenderloin and I bet even the hunters won’t know the difference.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wanted to try and keep ribs from a deer, but just seems like a lot of work for a little reward. I will trim some meat of ribs to add to sausage pile though. Don't forget the heart! Underrated but delicious! Just don't overcook.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wanted to try and keep ribs from a deer, but just seems like a lot of work for a little reward. I will trim some meat of ribs to add to sausage pile though. Don't forget the heart! Underrated but delicious! Just don't overcook.

There is quite a bit of meat on them and they are very tasty . We always boil them first then grill or broil them. Well worth your time.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys beat me to it with the heart. No much can beat a heart sandwich with onions after a morning hunt.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting about the ribs. While I love a cut of beef or pork with a bone for flavor, I've always avoided any bone in cuts of wild game because any time I've had them in the past they added a VERY gamey flavor. Might have to try something next fall just so I can say I've at least tried it.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the opinion that bone marrow from deer should never contact the meat itself. In other words avoid the meat saw or wipe it off right away and definitely before wrapping. Anyone else ever hear or think like this?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife does deer ribs every once in a while, but they are fresh off the deer, NOT FROZEN!! She soaks in coke and liquid smoke over night, then bakes, then I put them on the grill to give it the last bit of flavor. MUST BE EATEN HOT!!!! Oh and by the way, THEY MUST BE EATEN HOT!!!! After they cool off the fat resolidifies a bit and they take on a very "criso" kind of texture. But right off the grill.......My oh My are they good!!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife does deer ribs every once in a while, but they are fresh off the deer, NOT FROZEN!! She soaks in coke and liquid smoke over night, then bakes, then I put them on the grill to give it the last bit of flavor. MUST BE EATEN HOT!!!! Oh and by the way, THEY MUST BE EATEN HOT!!!! After they cool off the fat resolidifies a bit and they take on a very "criso" kind of texture. But right off the grill.......My oh My are they good!!

Is that a Scott Miller "My oh My?"

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The heart LOOKS delicious to me but have never tried it. I haven't had a harvest-able heart in a long time BTW.:cool: Could I get a flavor description?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Venison heart to me has just had a nice venison/beef flavor. I have always read/heard that the fat on a deer can give an off flavor so we always avoided it. My last season in Ohio, I shot a couple of fat does and both had a good 2 inch layer of fat on the hips and back and lots of the popcornish looking fat in the cavity. I saved that and about another 5 lbs off the hips and back froze it and ground it along with the meat at processing time. Figure it was around a 20/80 blend. Anyway, that burger was the best we have had. I guess when the deer are in beans, corn, alfalfa, acorns, apples, etc... go for it. We did melt some in a small skillet and cooked a little bit of burger in it before we went all in.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love deer ribs! There is a flap of meet that that kind of hangs off. Don't cut it off it is the best part. I cook them just like baby backs kind of following the 2-2-1 method. Just becarfull not to let them dry out.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Venison heart to me has just had a nice venison/beef flavor. I have always read/heard that the fat on a deer can give an off flavor so we always avoided it. My last season in Ohio, I shot a couple of fat does and both had a good 2 inch layer of fat on the hips and back and lots of the popcornish looking fat in the cavity. I saved that and about another 5 lbs off the hips and back froze it and ground it along with the meat at processing time. Figure it was around a 20/80 blend. Anyway, that burger was the best we have had. I guess when the deer are in beans, corn, alfalfa, acorns, apples, etc... go for it. We did melt some in a small skillet and cooked a little bit of burger in it before we went all in.

WOW. That's pretty adventurous! Have you submitted this beyond NDA?

- - - Updated - - -

Deer Heart Sandwich:

https://youtu.be/Ax8M4eJv4Xc

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86