Tile Showers

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have experience doing them on your own? Looking for pointers to make my first attempt go as smooth as possible.

I'll be using the schluter tile ready base and waterproofing membrane. Also plan to install one or two niches and a triangular bench. Shower size is 36.5"x60" (including the 4.5" curb). Haven't decided on tile type yet, but the floor will be small (<2") and the walls will be big (12"x12" or 12"x6").

Any information or assistance is greatly appreciated!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Builder told us, "people who have never had a tile shower like to tile the whole thing. People who have had a tile shower before usually ask for a fiberglass base." Apparently tile shower floors are a bastard to clean.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Builder told us, "people who have never had a tile shower like to tile the whole thing. People who have had a tile shower before usually ask for a fiberglass base." Apparently tile shower floors are a bastard to clean.

This is 100 percent accurate.

Had laminate floors and drop-in showers at our old house. Thought they looked cheap, but whatever.

New house has tile floors and tile showers.

Pain in my posterior is greatly exacerbated.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did our shower a couple years ago using the schluetter materials. It is not as easy as the videos make it look. Take your time with it.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did our shower a couple years ago using the schluetter materials. It is not as easy as the videos make it look. Take your time with it.

Are you saying that it takes more than 19:36 to install the schluter materials? :D

How did yours end up turning out, and what was the total cost? Where did you buy the schluter materials? I've found some decent prices online, compared to the much higher prices locally.

Last edited:

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes it takes more than 19.36. The part that irritated me was how easy it looked on the videos to apply the mud and then smooth out the waterproof membrane. I don't know the final cost of the whole thing but made a pretty good size shower.

I bought the foam base for the floor which is made to fit the drain but the size of the base was not large enough so the project included a sand pack ( I think that is what it's called) to fill in the rest of the floor for proper slope to drain.

I got a lot of info, might be better for a pm and phone call!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like it shouldn't have to be said... but, make sure you use a tile meant for wet/water applications and make sure you use the right grout depending on you gap size.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, lots of folks would rather not deal with the expense and cleaning hassle of a glass door and prefer just a curtain. Decide ahead of time which one you want. Hard/well water turns Glass doors shitty in a hurry and it's hard to get the hardware cleaned thoroughly. Replacing that stuff is very costly.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like it shouldn't have to be said... but, make sure you use a tile meant for wet/water applications and make sure you use the right grout depending on you gap size.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, lots of folks would rather not deal with the expense and cleaning hassle of a glass door and prefer just a curtain. Decide ahead of time which one you want. Hard/well water turns Glass doors shitty in a hurry and it's hard to get the hardware cleaned thoroughly. Replacing that stuff is very costly.

Thanks for the info. Going with a curtain for sure.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tiled the basement tub surround on a bath/shower about 9 years ago in my old house. Bathroom wasn't finished so I got to start from scratch. Wanted a full bath, so went with the full tub on the bottom. Put in a glass block window first. Framed it out, insulted it with the pink foam board. Hung up backer board and mudded it together with a thinset. Painted board with a water proof membrane. Tiled the surround. Sealed all joints. Turned out nice, but didn't use the most expensive stuff due to limited budget on first house. Never had any problems with it during the 9 years I lived in the house. I didn't find it very hard even for a beginner bathroom1.jpg, just time consuming.

bathroom2.jpgbathroom2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, hate attaching pics. Sorry for the duplication.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One of the other problems (other than cleaning) when you tlle the floor is the drain. The water has to run downhill (if it doesn't you have additional problems) and it's much easier to tile a flat surface instead of a circular downhill curve using square or rectangular tiles..Things can go so smooth and your wife will so impressed with your skills until you get to the curved drain. Then the real skill needs to kick in.

For those who have trouble cleaning tiles, were they sealed? That is supposed to help. I have tiling as a kitchen backsplash that is sealed and not a problem to clean. Then again it's in an area that is less prone to getting dirty and messy such as a shower or floor.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the other problems (other than cleaning) when you tlle the floor is the drain. The water has to run downhill (if it doesn't you have additional problems) and it's much easier to tile a flat surface instead of a circular downhill curve using square or rectangular tiles..Things can go so smooth and your wife will so impressed with your skills until you get to the curved drain. Then the real skill needs to kick in.

For those who have trouble cleaning tiles, were they sealed? That is supposed to help. I have tiling as a kitchen backsplash that is sealed and not a problem to clean. Then again it's in an area that is less prone to getting dirty and messy such as a shower or floor.

The tile ready base that I'm planning to use is pre-sloped to allow for proper drainage. Smaller tiles make following that slope much easier. A lot of these DIY tile ready kits are going to rectangular trench drains and square drains for that very reason. No difficult cuts need to be made.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you tile to the ceiling or as high as water may splash. Ive gutted a few bathrooms where they were tiled up to the shower head. Water will spash higher and cause problems down the road.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you tile to the ceiling or as high as water may splash. Ive gutted a few bathrooms where they were tiled up to the shower head. Water will spash higher and cause problems down the road.

As of right now, I'm planning on tiling everything including the ceiling. If that changes, I'll still be going all the way up the wall (9ft).

Waterfowler

Did mine last year 42x66 I believe it was bench at the back and double niches double shower heads tiled walls and ceiling. I would highly recommend a Tile Redi Shower pan. They are customizable to size and curb location also benches also come pre pitched and can pick drain location. tileredi.com

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have done quite a few. My choice would be a good fiberglass base, unless you like being on your hands and knees cleaning soap scum out of grout. Use the right grout, unsanded for up to 1/8 " grout lines and sanded for the rest. I use a latex additive instead of water for mixing grout. makes it about as water proof as you can get. You are not going to be perfect because most tile are plus on minus 1/16 and after a few rows it adds up. I mainly use home depot for my tile needs because you can take back what you don't use. Most high end tile places what you order is what you pay for and no returns. Start in middle of long back wall and work out, end walls start on the outside and work in using a bullnose tile for your first tile. I usually lay the first row of tile the day before, so you have a good solid base to work off from. I also use the premixed cement for the tile because that way I can stop and start when ever I want, and for first timers that's a good thing. Rent a good tile saw. It will make things so much better. Check out some of the internet vidios, some are pretty good. If you get into trouble pm me and I will see if I can talk you through it.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done quite a few. My choice would be a good fiberglass base, unless you like being on your hands and knees cleaning soap scum out of grout. Use the right grout, unsanded for up to 1/8 " grout lines and sanded for the rest. I use a latex additive instead of water for mixing grout. makes it about as water proof as you can get. You are not going to be perfect because most tile are plus on minus 1/16 and after a few rows it adds up. I mainly use home depot for my tile needs because you can take back what you don't use. Most high end tile places what you order is what you pay for and no returns. Start in middle of long back wall and work out, end walls start on the outside and work in using a bullnose tile for your first tile. I usually lay the first row of tile the day before, so you have a good solid base to work off from. I also use the premixed cement for the tile because that way I can stop and start when ever I want, and for first timers that's a good thing. Rent a good tile saw. It will make things so much better. Check out some of the internet vidios, some are pretty good. If you get into trouble pm me and I will see if I can talk you through it.

This is all good information. I have done many, many tile showers.

First on the base- yes, a tile floor can be a PITA to clean. But, tile certainly looks better. A fiberglass base will definitely save you time and money compared to a Schluter base. But if you choose to tile it the Schluter base and especially the drain are the way to go for sure. If you use their base the slope is set and as long as you choose a good small pattern mosaic drainage is perfect.

The Schluter Kerdi is the best waterproofing membrane out there. First time use can be a challenge to say the least. First, use the trowel they recommend. Second, mix your thinset a touch wet. Dry thinset will not allow the Kerdi to bond and is very frustrating. For seams I recommend butting the joints and use Kerdi band to seal the joint rather than overlap because you create less of a hump in the wall. Just make sure you do this part right, it is the most important part of the shower base and walls.

Regarding the framing and sheetrock you are going over, make sure everything is flat and straight. If you pick large format tiles it doesn't take much of a hump or dip in the wall to cause you serious trouble. Even the sheetrock tapered joint can be a challenge. If possible, have everything flat and square in all corners. It will save you a ton of headaches.

Think through your tile layout and draw it on the wall if needed. Remember cutting holes for shower valves, heads, and mounting niches can be a challenge depending on location. Try to get everything planned before you begin. Niches need to be waterproofed with Kerdi or you can buy the pre-built ones.

I too like to set one row of tile and let it set overnight so I have a solid base to build on. Then, go up the next day. Get good tile spacers that stay in place, the ones that can be used multiple ways are best. Stay away from the cheap X style ones.

Remember to mix your thinset a bit on the tight side for less mess. You will get it everywhere anyway your first time. I pretty much exclusively back-butter the tiles rather than place thinset on the walls. Much cleaner.

You will learn tiles are far from square and constant adjustment. Get a pack of tile shims to help. And, keeping the tiles flat is a challenge. Keep your thinset amount on the tiles and wall consistent. Add/remove small amounts of thinset if needed to maintain a flat tile surface.

A good tile saw is a must. A grinder with diamond blade and a drill with tile bit helps too.

I only use premixed grout anymore. It is much, much better than dry mix grout. Color consistency with dry mix grout is completely dependent on how much water you put in and batch to batch consistency can be difficult. With the premixed that isn't an issue and it is completely waterproof. Just do not do too much at a time, a couple sq. ft. then clean up that area.

I always but from the tile store but don't know where else you can get the materials. A home center allows returns so that is nice, most flooring/tile stores don't.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have questions. BTW for a 42" x 60" shower I would plan on spending a solid week on it from start to finish.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

Meh........it doesn't get u out of cleaning the tile on the walls. Walls get soap scum too. I have no complaints with a tile floor.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for all the great information guys! I'll be starting as soon as I get back from MT next week, so hopefully all goes well. A few of you "experts" will likely be getting PMs from me, and if you are in the Bismarck/Mandan area you're welcome to come supervise. ;)

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is all good information. I have done many, many tile showers.

First on the base- yes, a tile floor can be a PITA to clean. But, tile certainly looks better. A fiberglass base will definitely save you time and money compared to a Schluter base. But if you choose to tile it the Schluter base and especially the drain are the way to go for sure. If you use their base the slope is set and as long as you choose a good small pattern mosaic drainage is perfect.

The Schluter Kerdi is the best waterproofing membrane out there. First time use can be a challenge to say the least. First, use the trowel they recommend. Second, mix your thinset a touch wet. Dry thinset will not allow the Kerdi to bond and is very frustrating. For seams I recommend butting the joints and use Kerdi band to seal the joint rather than overlap because you create less of a hump in the wall. Just make sure you do this part right, it is the most important part of the shower base and walls.

Regarding the framing and sheetrock you are going over, make sure everything is flat and straight. If you pick large format tiles it doesn't take much of a hump or dip in the wall to cause you serious trouble. Even the sheetrock tapered joint can be a challenge. If possible, have everything flat and square in all corners. It will save you a ton of headaches.

Think through your tile layout and draw it on the wall if needed. Remember cutting holes for shower valves, heads, and mounting niches can be a challenge depending on location. Try to get everything planned before you begin. Niches need to be waterproofed with Kerdi or you can buy the pre-built ones.

I too like to set one row of tile and let it set overnight so I have a solid base to build on. Then, go up the next day. Get good tile spacers that stay in place, the ones that can be used multiple ways are best. Stay away from the cheap X style ones.

Remember to mix your thinset a bit on the tight side for less mess. You will get it everywhere anyway your first time. I pretty much exclusively back-butter the tiles rather than place thinset on the walls. Much cleaner.

You will learn tiles are far from square and constant adjustment. Get a pack of tile shims to help. And, keeping the tiles flat is a challenge. Keep your thinset amount on the tiles and wall consistent. Add/remove small amounts of thinset if needed to maintain a flat tile surface.

A good tile saw is a must. A grinder with diamond blade and a drill with tile bit helps too.

I only use premixed grout anymore. It is much, much better than dry mix grout. Color consistency with dry mix grout is completely dependent on how much water you put in and batch to batch consistency can be difficult. With the premixed that isn't an issue and it is completely waterproof. Just do not do too much at a time, a couple sq. ft. then clean up that area.

I always but from the tile store but don't know where else you can get the materials. A home center allows returns so that is nice, most flooring/tile stores don't.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have questions. BTW for a 42" x 60" shower I would plan on spending a solid week on it from start to finish.

You must be a tile installer. Few things to remember with a tile shower, big exhaust fan as moisture is or enemy, they are a PITA to clean and make sure you use that fan 10 to 15 minutes to help dry the shower or any shower for that matter. One week for a shower is a must and every mentioned above is spot on.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did install tile, showers were not my favorite LOL! Anymore it's the first cut I encourage in a house, that 5-8k just seems better spend elsewhere with the insane costs of building these days! But they do look nice and people are drawn to them, it's expected in a decent home.

One thing to note is if you have soft water cleaning is much easier. Lots of folks squeegee them down when they're done.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33