To shave or not to shave... that is the ?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, do you guys shave your dogs prior to upland hunting. I know the fur serves a protective purpose. But, it sure is a serious PITA getting em cleaned up post hunt unless the hair is trimmed. Normally I get it done the day before grouse hunting. But, was a few weeks later this year. Hope it doesn't make late season pheasants too tough on her.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a gsp no need to shave. Down side don't like the cold. When I had a English Setter I would shave him mid summer every year by the time seson rolled around hair would be back to normal.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I had golden retrievers I did a lot of clipping to get burs out. my labs it isn't a problem

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a griffon and I shaved her every year and it worked out good but I didn't this year cause I didn't have time to get her in and after 3 hrs of brushing burrs I regret not making time

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a slick GWP that needs no grooming, as well as a more wirey GWP. The latter gets a buzz in the summer, but I like it full and thick in the cooler months. We'll battle a few cockle burrs knowing I can hunt him all day in subzero temps.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88