Too early for salmon???

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if anyone starts trying to target some silver fish with riggers this time of the year? I usually wait until August but have the itch to get out and drop some gear-wind permitting, curious also if I guy can expect to find them over by wolf creek, dead mans, riverdale areas? I now with the lake not completely warmed they'd be spread out, just guessing whether to try over on the east or some of the deeper areas by Beulah/hazen bays?

DakotaPro

Hey Hookin, I am glad to see that I am not the only one with the itch I've been fishing for silver for a number of years now, I have done good as early as June 17th before with riggers, we caught a couple pulling cranks for walleye this year around Douglas. I try to follow the rule if I find the bait the fish will be there. Seems to work more often then not. I have not been out yet this year pulling for them but my plan is finish my set up on my new boat and get after them. wolf, Deadmans, Douglas and the Embankment would be good starting points. Best of luck out there!!!

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can catch salmon all year long in the traditional areas around the dam. But like you mentioned they are spread out this time of year from Pouch Point to the dam. I would say anything from 25 ft to 50ft would be the best depths. Crank baits or spoons are usually the best presentation this early. Flashers usually spook the salmon fishing shallower than 50ft. I have had good luck around Indian Hills pulling cranks in the past in July and early August.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well it's looking like the misses and I are gonna try Friday afternoon/evening and then Monday morning I'll make it back out in the morning. Finally broke down and picked up a fishhawk and other goodies guess it's as good a time as any to start after 'em. Thanks for the input Dakota, I'll let ya know if we find them.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering the same thing. We had some fairly good action after the 4th last year pulling spoons in 50-60 fow in Deadman's bay area. Heading out to Lake Michigan in July and would like to get the kinks worked out before we leave. Hookin..you will like the Fishhawk.

DakotaPro

Hornhunter, One was right on the bubble at 10 the other one was smaller a tad under 5. Also should mention got a 8 pounder over by the 83 embankment in early May. Sounds good hookin hope you find them!!!

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well we had one trip down 60' over 90' up near mallard, white fly on glow/white, didn't get on the water until 7ish so didn't have a lot of time. Trolled back to government in 15-20' and picked up 4 eyes on deep tail dancers, all healthy 18-20" so it definitely wasn't a bust

53 degrees was down at 55'

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering the same thing. We had some fairly good action after the 4th last year pulling spoons in 50-60 fow in Deadman's bay area. Heading out to Lake Michigan in July and would like to get the kinks worked out before we leave. Hookin..you will like the Fishhawk.
Where you headed for Algoma?

Hornhunter

Banned
Banned
Hornhunter, One was right on the bubble at 10 the other one was smaller a tad under 5. Also should mention got a 8 pounder over by the 83 embankment in early May. Sounds good hookin hope you find them!!!

Is 10 pounds big for Sakakawea or just average? Don't fish for them but last year every time I was at the govt bay cleaning station there was a younger guy there cleaning salmon. He must have them greasy things figured out because I watched him clean a shit ton of them last summer.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean, Bailey's Harbor (Door County). Make a run out each July to fish the K/D Salmon Derby as a get-together with some fishing buds. Last year was a bit of a challenge and the word is that this year may be about the same.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a fair chunk north on the thumb. Fished that Algoma -Sturgeon Bay area allot back a few years ago. It's where I developed a dislike for lake trout. They end up being a wasted turn with how little they fight. Would much rather have a steal head or king.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33