TSLA time to buy?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Feels like this stock is getting beat down by dislike for Elon and his twitter endeavor. Is it worth considering at this price?

tsla.JPG

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Between Elon being a complete loose canon and alienating his customer base, and much stiffer competition from the major autos, I'm not sure where it goes. I got out in July when it bounced back up a bit.

The main question I have is who is buying Tesla's going forward? Conservatives don't buy electric and progressives hate Elon now.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went long on calls yesterday for it. I have faith elon wont screw things up. The fact that liberals hate him is enough to persuade me.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want neither the vehicle or the stock. TSLA stock went hog wild almost from the get-go because of the novelty of an electric full-sized car. That novelty has now worn off and the stock price is going to start reflecting profits and losses, just like every other stock out there. That means their current P/E of 34.5 is probably not sustainable when their automotive competitors of Ford has a P/E around 5, GM is at 5.6, and Toyota is 9.9 and one of the higher in the auto industry.

I would not buy TSLA until it starts to settle in somewhere nearer its peers with regards to some well understood metrics for success.

Note, we see this kind of irrational run-ups in stocks all the time. Crocs was the darling a number of years ago, and things like Gamestop were last year. It's harder to quantify public goodwill than it is the successful nature of a business, and arguably TSLA thrived on it the past few years. Hell, TSLA doesn't even pay a dividend and doesn't plan on it...ever. Given current stock pricing, I can't imagine they will be quick to do a split again in an attempt to appease investors either.

In short, I think the TSLA ship has sailed.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want neither the vehicle or the stock. TSLA stock went hog wild almost from the get-go because of the novelty of an electric full-sized car. That novelty has now worn off and the stock price is going to start reflecting profits and losses, just like every other stock out there. That means their current P/E of 34.5 is probably not sustainable when their automotive competitors of Ford has a P/E around 5, GM is at 5.6, and Toyota is 9.9 and one of the higher in the auto industry.

I would not buy TSLA until it starts to settle in somewhere nearer its peers with regards to some well understood metrics for success.

Note, we see this kind of irrational run-ups in stocks all the time. Crocs was the darling a number of years ago, and things like Gamestop were last year. It's harder to quantify public goodwill than it is the successful nature of a business, and arguably TSLA thrived on it the past few years. Hell, TSLA doesn't even pay a dividend and doesn't plan on it...ever. Given current stock pricing, I can't imagine they will be quick to do a split again in an attempt to appease investors either.

In short, I think the TSLA ship has sailed.
Your fundamental analysis has me convinced my calls will skyrocket…. I better pack a warm coat, I hear it is cold on the moon this time of year.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
CAH, you didn't mention the timeframe of your calls. I am pretty convinced that long-term (6 months to a couple of years) this is a bad deal, but nothing ever moves linear in the stock market, so it's entirely possible you have a winning ticket. I guess we shall see.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Elon's got his work cut out for him. Could be a value trap from hell........or he pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34