Type of action for youth .22

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a Salvage .17, more accurate and easier to get ammo. Since I bought a few of them my 9 and 12 year old boys haven't shot a .22 and wouldn't want to. Those short little bolt guns with the thumbhole stock and heavy barrel are pretty nice, they are also Hollywood quiet with a can on!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple questions , Are you out in the country where you can shoot whenever you feel like it and do you have a spending limit on shells ? Although the 17 sounds fun a "brick" of shells will run over $ 100 . When my kids were shooting a lot a brick of 22LR match grade was $ 10. I don't know what a brick of cheap 22LR would run but it's right up there too. If I had to do it over again I'd fork over the extra and get a target grade air rifle something along the lines of RWS. It's hard to tell what exactly fits your needs but I'm happy to see you getting your kids into shooting and I'd vote for something that they can shoot as much as they want without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my daughter the ruler American. It has an adjustable stock so as she grows you can lengthen it. Uses the same clip as the 10-22. Both my kids love it and shoot it well

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgive me for not knowing the model # but if I had to buy another .22 it would be one of those marlin's with the tubular magazine. Reason being is that I could then cycle shorts out of it. Would be handy for keeping rabbits out of my garden in my very small town. I think the sub sonic shorts are similar or even more quite then the crack of an air rifle.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like all of the guns people mentioned, but I remember when I was a kid and that influenced me with my kids. While in early high school the Remington 66 came out. A good friend got one for Christmas. The rest of us kids were stuck with single shots and bolt actions. Whenever we went hunting the kid with the Remington 66 always bagged the least number of gophers or cottontail. Every time a bunny jumped up he would empty his gun in seconds. The guy never learned to sight well, nor any type of trigger control. No one could tell him anything either.
Thriller1 like you I don't remember the model of the Marlin either, but that's what I grew up with. A guy going through my home town traded it to my dad for a tank of gas back in 1957 or 56. Dad put a peep sight on it and many a gopher died.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like all of the guns people mentioned, but I remember when I was a kid and that influenced me with my kids. While in early high school the Remington 66 came out.

I really like the Remington Nylon 66's. I've got 4 of them and a nylon 10-C to keep them company. I have a Leupold FX-2 on one and it's taken lots and lots of rabbits and squirrels.

I think one of the best parts of teaching a kid to shoot with a bolt action 22 is the fact they are learning the mechanics of working the bolt. If they keep practicing they will be able to work the bolt without taking it off their shoulder.

Then when they graduate to a centerfire rifle the basics are there. They are comfortable with a bolt action, how to use it is second nature. All they need to get used to is the extra recoil.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glenfield model 20 is what I learned on. Nice little bolt action rifle. I prefer using bolt action or pump action type firearms for youngsters as the manual actions required add a little more safety when beginners start to shoot IMO.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the 22s I had when I was growing up was a Springfield-Stevens. It was an automatic and bolt action combined into one action. It had a push pull pin that you could lock the bolt either open or closed. It was probably the most user friendly 22 I have ever shot and it was pretty accurate for it's time, I wish they still made something like that.
008_edited-2.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgive me for not knowing the model # but if I had to buy another .22 it would be one of those marlin's with the tubular magazine. Reason being is that I could then cycle shorts out of it. Would be handy for keeping rabbits out of my garden in my very small town. I think the sub sonic shorts are similar or even more quite then the crack of an air rifle.

Model 60 I think is what you're referring to. Mine is kind of finicky on what ammo brand it likes for some reason.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 1957 I had a Marlin Bolt Action with a clip. Then I got a used Winchester model 61 which was the hammerless pump.
One friend had a model 62 which had a hammer. Another had a Winchester model 77 and another a Remington model 550 (looked similar to your Stevens, Davey.

Got a new Ruger 10/22 in 1967 real nice walnut wood back then. Still got it.

Bottom line is I agree with getting a kid a bolt action first.:;:sorry

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A youth should learn on a break action or a bolt gun of sort with iron sights. Accuracy builds confidence not rate of fire. My last post on this thread. Because I know everything.

Last edited:

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and input. Ended up getting her a Ruger 10/22 semi-auto with stainless steel barrel and synthetic stock. Sweet little gun and should make tons of memories for her and I. She's already asking if she can "take care of the cottontails" when she gets a little better. Lol. Gotta love living out in the country.

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Henry Lever or pump defiantly not a semi-auto safety or not they are not safe for young shooters. Hell I am guilty of shooting a hole in floor of my pickup at 50 something years old with a browning .22 semi auto. My first words to my teenage son after the that incident were " that is why you can't have a semi auto and apparently neither should I" .

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 8 YO and 4 YO are trying as hard as they can to wear out the CZ 452 ZKM Scout I got them.

SCOUT.jpg

Light and done right, the single shot follower is pretty handy with the 4 YO

IMG_5196.jpg
I grin watching the kids drive the shifter handle.

IMG_4773.jpg

Last edited:

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting into the same boat here. I have a 5 yr old (at the end of the month), a 2.5 yrs old and 8 mo old. I am trying to figure out what I should be looking at getting them. I want "their" first gun to be one they keep. So looking for one for me to get that they can shoot. I have a savage 17hmr the 5 yrs old has shot, but he has a problem with it being a bull barrel. Have a 10/22, but don't like the semi auto portion of it. Thought about getting a 22 cricket, just dont know.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88