Underground/Wireless Dog Fence

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am in the market for an underground dog fence and was wondering what others have and like or don’t like. I am more interested in the wireless fences but have not found one yet where you can set the perimeter of your yard. Most or all I have seen you have to set a radius and that doesn’t really work with my yard.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make gps wireless fences I believe. They can be made to your yard perimeter.

Last edited:

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
My only concern with a wireless or underground fence is other dogs. It may keep your dog in your yard but it doesn't keep everyone else's dog out. I have a 2 acre yard and fenced a small section in behind the house so I could just let my dog out and not have to watch her while she does her thing. I had started burying an underground fence when she was a pup but had a bad experience with a stray dog one evening. Scared her and the kids, pup was scared to go out alone for a few days. That's when I scrapped the buried wire and went to Menards and bought some chain link and poles. May not be the strongest stuff but it does the job. I use my regular shock collar and let her run when I'm working outside or just sitting out havin a beer in the evenings.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Our dog quickly figured out if she ran fast, she could make it through the buried fence with minimal harm.

I have heard of others saying the same thing.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We installed a buried line in May. Its a sportdog brand one and works great. I found it on the facebook classifieds for 100$, but had to order an additional collar on Amazon for our second dog.

We live in town and only have 1/3-1/2 acre, so install was fairly quick and easy. I had some old skil saw blades laying around so I used that to "trench". Worked great and I trenched while my sister used a spatula to push the wire in the trench behind me.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I’ve had one for over 25 years in two locations. The one we have now is Petsafe. Probably kept our active inquisitive hunting dogs off the roads and from being pancaked about a million times! Best invention since the zipper fly!
Even if the collar battery runs out or the house power goes off the dogs know the boundaries! If a pheasant runs across the yard our E Cocker is right on its butt till she knows where the boundary is, then slams on her furry brakes and skids to a stop! Only one learned to run fast and get across the boundary before it zapped her so I put on a regular shock collar, hid and zapped the dog poop out of her the next time she tried it. Never ran thru again! Like an old mentor of mine told me way back “ sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind!”
Absolutely worth their weight in gold!

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think you have to look at your particular situation as to what you want/should get. Like greybeard said, a wireless or wired containment system will keep your dog in, but not other dogs out. I did what he did, fenced in part of my yard with chain link, it is actually pretty easy to install, just make sure you give yourself some room for hinges and the flip up handle latches wherever you want a gate (learned that the hard way).
Instead of always putting my shock collar on, my wife found a company called Whistle. It works with a smartphone and you can set up the perimeter somewhat however you want it (not totally customizable if you have an irregular shaped yard like I do). It will not shock the dog, or beep when it leaves the perimeter, but you will get a notification on your phone that the dog is leaving the area and it even shows you where the dog is (uses GPS). There is a monthly fee however. Works for me though because I also have a pretty good sized property and some of it has trees. I don't mind my dogs going in the trees where I can't see them, but I do not want them to go past the trees. So I set the boundary along the trees and if they get close or leave I get an alert. Also, we can set it up on multiple phones so I have it, my wife has it, and both our kids have it. The only problem with that is when you leave at 5 am to go hunting and forget to take it off...your wife starts getting alerts every minute or so telling her that the dog is out of the boundary! Does not make for a happy wife who thought she was getting to sleep in on a Saturday...

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make god wireless fences I believe. They can be made to your yard perimeter.

Anybody have any recommendations for one of these?

Also I understand the worry of other dogs or animals coming into your yard but I am only concerned with keeping my dog in. I don’t really have any want to put up a fence.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I tried a wireless once, but the contained area was round. It was a cheaper one, but better ones are available that can be set to the shape of your property, but I’ve never tried one.
Putting in the wire was a good afternoons hard work when I was young, but with our current one we just hired a commercial guy to put it in. His equipment made it look easy, and the cost was still far cheaper than the cost of the dog or a year of mutt food. Not even counting veterinary care, and protecting a family member..........dirt cheap.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 41
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14