Any Birders here?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even though my camera sucks ass for birding, I did get a few misc bird shots in Africa
DSCN4024.JPG

Ibis specie maybe? whatever they are they sound like a god damn Pterodactyl

DSCN4073.JPG

Some specie of guinea fowl

DSCN4186.JPG

stork.JPG

Wooly Necked Storks? maybe Rockjumpers? idk, I'm not a stork expert

DSCN4359.JPG

Weaver Bird nests were all over

DSCN4428.JPG

oxpecker.JPG

Oxpeckers on most animals

DSCN4436.JPG

Cape Vultures

DSCN4579.JPG

Egyptian Geese

DSCN4601.JPG

DSCN4607.JPG

Egyptian Fruit Bats, they got wings so they count

fisheagle.JPG

Fish Eagle

heron.JPG

Blue Heron maybe?

kite.JPG

A Species of kite waiting for me to pay the bait tax

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have about 25-30 turkey vultures that roost in a radio tower above my house. You think if I tossed a dead carp, or a cleaned deer carcass in the back yard they'd come in? Probably put me on all the neighbor's shit lists.

Sounds like you are already on the bird's (s)hitlist. I have geese, turkeys, and tweeties that drop stuff out of the sky. I swear at them a lot.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone seeing orioles or Martins yet ?
Yesterday, a lone Oriole showed up and this morning a few pair of martins.
I posted this May 10th last year.

This thread is good reference to when they usually show up. Still only 3 Martins and they come and go, been a couple weeks since they showed up. I built a new Martin house out of old barn lumber and the Martins shunned it.
They were in the yard when I put it up and all 3 of them checked it out right away and then went back to the old one and I haven't saw them back to the new house again. I saw sparrows landing on it so might have to clean it out when the colony shows up.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone seeing orioles or Martins yet ?

I posted this May 10th last year.

This thread is good reference to when they usually show up. Still only 3 Martins and they come and go, been a couple weeks since they showed up. I built a new Martin house out of old barn lumber and the Martins shunned it.
They were in the yard when I put it up and all 3 of them checked it out right away and then went back to the old one and I haven't saw them back to the new house again. I saw sparrows landing on it so might have to clean it out when the colony shows up.
Martins showed up in Bismarck on 4/15. Didn’t see any again until 4/23. Been here ever since.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a red breasted grosbeak in the feeder today, first one I’ve seen in ND.
Obvious result of fossil fuel use near/on your property. It's fucking warm enough for EVs and the extension of the fossil fuel chain.

1715054994402.png

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just got MIL one of those camera birdfeeders for Mothers Day. Almost did it for Christmas, but timing seemed off. Still worried about the "tech support" nightmare that might ensue...

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lots of cool birds passing through...buffleheads (seem to be gone now), hooded merganser, ibis, avocet, etc.

Good time of year to keep your eyes open.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of cool birds passing through...buffleheads (seem to be gone now), hooded merganser, ibis, avocet, etc.

Good time of year to keep your eyes open.

The first two are still hanging out at my pond, along with a few other waterfowl. Canada geese, wood ducks, and kingfishers are a lot of fun to watch over the summer.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
They would probably wait for it to get ripe. I stopped on a gravel road right beside 4 of them fighting over an old rank skunk carcass, It was like 90* in august and I rolled down the window and it stunk so bad that I almost puked. We have them close to the yard , In the spring when the adults are feeding the young they sound just like a bunch of monkeys in the woods and seem to go almost non stop. If they weren't federally protected I'd recommend the "Quiet pellet gun" thread. 🙂
1000019876.jpg

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Soooooo......you actually bought it for yourself..... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
No, I'm not a big fan of songbirds (yard birds). I like seeing different ducks, geese, birds of prey, etc. Hummingbirds ate cool, too, but don't get real excited about stuff that comes to a feeder.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw two hummingbirds and one Oriole this morning . Won't be long now
update: Those were sparrows I saw a few mornings ago. One keeps chasing the other around the yard at 90 mph like hummingbirds usually do. The Oriole is an early bird, we've only saw it a few times early in the morning . No swallows and only 3 martins.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51