Any Birders here?

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last few years ive had at least one pileated pecker that i know of but they all look alike....

Many age old trees on my property and dead falls along my creek this some beech tears shit up big time,stripping bark of dead tree limbs.

A solitary bird,usually seen alone crusing the neighborhood, fun to watch just a eating machine.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yea, wife has several plates of jelly out and oranges. Once they eat the orange we put jelly in the orange skin.
Good tip,ill give it a whirl as orioles are setting up shop lately in my big ass silver maple tree.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good tip,ill give it a whirl as orioles are setting up shop lately in my big ass silver maple tree.
I'd say your best bet would be set up away from the house at first then you can move them to where ever. If you put jelly out you will most likely notice that you have more ants than Orioles, we found the colony in a raised flower bed next to the foundation 2 years ago and got revenge, haven't had a problem since.

1717014649976.png

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd say your best bet would be set up away from the house at first then you can move them to where ever. If you put jelly out you will most likely notice that you have more ants than Orioles, we found the colony in a raised flower bed next to the foundation 2 years ago and got revenge, haven't had a problem since.
Yeah ant's,humming bird feeders as well,old gal at our feed mill gave me a small bottle of peppermint when i was purchasing ant and roach killer,put a few dabs at the base of feeder pole,no more ants however late summer when yellow jackets are active they love the humming bird nectar can't keep em out

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Belive it or not , these things work pretty good to keep bees away. My wife ordered them from amazon and painted them with spray paint to look more natural
1717088031509.png

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone on here use this app for identifying birds, Merlin Bird ID. A friend of mine showed it to me this week and it is pretty cool, especially the vocal recording portion, you can also id by pictures or by describing what you saw. For me it hasn't been wrong yet.
Merlin App.png
This is a great app! I use it constantly. I'll even use it for work when conducting breeding bird surveys just to make sure I'm hearing everyone. I will say, I get a lot of false positives for species with single whistle-like calls when I have the app on during a hike with the dogs.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Belive it or not , these things work pretty good to keep bees away. My wife ordered them from amazon and painted them with spray paint to look more natural
1717088031509.png
Lol,she should draw two large black eyes on it,alien "bobble head"

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been playing with that Merlin App and it is really cool. Solved the mystery of a bird sound I was hearing in the evenings just before dark, turned out to be a Wilsons Snipe and if you go to Merlin's Song list it is the Winnow.
All my years of trying to catch them in the dark with pillow cases I have never heard that sound.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 64