Using Atv in ND winters

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would rather get a prostrate exam from Edward Scissorhands than run ethanol in anything I own.

Rugeruser

Of course premium nonethanol gas is our first choice for small engines! Especially for engines being stores or with seldom use! The idea here is to have the freshest gas possible and no need to add alcohols to evaporate the condensation as the ethanol is already there! This machine is going to go through plenty of gasoline before being parked and when that time comes it will be refilled with nonethanol! This tip coming from Orin’s MOTORSPORTS. Very adept small engines mechanic

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ethanol attracts water :(

yes - alcohol is used to pull water from fuel - but it's usually iso-propanol in HEET, etc.. when needed - not ethanol

one reason ethanol fuel goes to hell in a New York minute is that it pulls water into the fuel from the atmosphere

ethanol is the devil

so is your mechanic apparently :)

- - - Updated - - -

never take small engine care advice from a guy who puts bread on the table based on repairing said small engines

- - - Updated - - -

:;:

- - - Updated - - -

sort of

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the ideas! I do have the otterbox storage, auger tube, extra lights, heated grips, and chains! Still need a windshield and mudflaps seem to be a great oversight! Will have to put oW oil in and probably a new battery and plugs. Also was recommended by a mechanic to actually go backwards and use 87 with ethanol as it will get used abundantly and the gas is always fresh at the pump, with ethanol to evaporate the condensation

Which size otter box did you buy?
as far as ethanol I don't see that as a viable option unless atvs have come out somehow to run ethanol blend gas efficiently. Ethanol has a very short shelf life and when it breaks down it will pug up your jets in your carbs as well as eat all the older o ring and gaskets. Like i said unless atv engineers have figured out hiw to run ethanol blend gas I would stay away

aslo as far as water is considered that would come down to getting gas from a tank that has had a way for water to leak into. Any water that is in your atv tank should have been removed prior to freeze up, that is why my 97 is still running strong because of routine maintenence.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Us greasy bikers usually run nothing but 91 in our small engines, so this struck me as odd, but seems to make some sense.

the kind of sense I would run with.

I'd continue to run 91 Premium no-ethanol and add some isopropyl antifreeze to the tank. I'd keep the devils piss(ethanol) away from my small engines.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll probably want an EFI. That being said, I have a 2005 Kodiak 450 carb that can site outside for weeks and start with no issues at -25. I keep a battery tender on it to keep a full charge, especially after plowing snow and using the winch a lot. V-bar two-link chains make a huge difference as well.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
older polaris liquid cooled rigs were notorious for being cold blooded in the cold(carb) these newer efi rigs are great,agree with battery tender when not in use,years ago I bought my 1st atv (honda) air cooled,solid rear axel for pulling trailer's and such,just a work horse around the farm ,plowing no issues in cold weather starting,also it had a pull to start cord just incase the battery died like lawn mower's,came in handy more than once miles out on a lake icefishing as long as you had it in neutral,actually had a battery take a shit another time the starter went so pull start was a plus.

Today my new rig is efi,liquid cooled,powersteering,automatic,hand and thumb warmer,3000lb winch w/strape (rather than cable on winch) for plowing 5w20 oil for winter,been bullet proof so far

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
as far as battery issues dont most regular style 4 wheelers have pull start option? i have a 2012 honda rubicon and ran that thing on a shitty battery for quite some time as i just pull started it when it was dead. started right up. id prolly check that on your ATV

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
as far as battery issues dont most regular style 4 wheelers have pull start option? i have a 2012 honda rubicon and ran that thing on a shitty battery for quite some time as i just pull started it when it was dead. started right up. id prolly check that on your ATV

No to much compression to pull start these newer rigs so I was told when I bought my 2019. Ido like the automatic tranny on this new rig,my honda was elec shift which was fine but for plowing the auto is a great improvement.

I actually wanted to purchase a new honda atv my old 2001 foreman only had 1000 miles on it but nothing new on honda's since 2008 all old school,looked at yammie,can-am and polaris,too much plastic on these rigs.

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

When it's cold outside I can't even get close to pull starting my quad. Can't even get a half pull on the thing it's so tight.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're running an EFI machine there needs to be enough juice in the battery to run the ECU or you'll be dead in the water, pull start or not.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I'm a cheap sob but no flaps or tow bar for my flip over shanty just a long pull strap so snow/slush can't reach the sled,just gotta be-aware what's goin on as you venture out,or i'll load up my utility trailer with friends n gear,like a band of gypsies goin across the lake.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This has made the world of difference for me over the past number of years.

I have small battery chargers on my 4x4, 6x6 and my International tractor for blowing snow. They really do a good job of keep the battery at 100 percent.

I put a 750 CCA battery in my 6x6. As with the small battery if I am using my winch a lot while plowing snow it drains it faster than it can charge. I just put the battery in the box and leave cables long enough so I can still use the dump box.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88