Using hand signals driving..

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone explain the logic behind this “ride your bike with the traffic” rule? I must have been sleeping when they taught that in cub scouts.

I suppose it applies to riding on the actual traffic lane of a road, not on the shoulder?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone explain the logic behind this “ride your bike with the traffic” rule? I must have been sleeping when they taught that in cub scouts.

I suppose it applies to riding on the actual traffic lane of a road, not on the shoulder?
NO mirror in the visor to do your makeup

5 presets on manual buttons of an analog AM radio

75% fewer cars on the road

Less concentrated populations

Enough enforcement to give tickets for "rolling stops", "no-blinker signaled", etc.

Now its all:

"Ain't nobody gots time fo dat!!"

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm contemplating getting rid of by bike with a motor for this very reason!!

I used to ride it in town everyday to work, not so much anymore.

I get it out on the highway, in town in the FM metro has become a death wish!
I got rid of mine. I decided it was no longer fun to ride since I had to be on high alert the whole time and was constantly worried I was going to get hit.

NodakBob

★ Legendary Member
ND law says you must ride in direction of traffic and follow rules of road like any other “vehicle”.
About 1/3 of bicycle fatalities are people riding against traffic. And 1/3 are people riding WITH traffic, but the number of idiots riding against traffic are much fewer than those that follow the law…so your odds of getting killed are actually higher riding against traffic.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, bicycles are considered vehicles under most circumstances. You can even get a DUI on one.

I keep waiting to read an article on someone getting an Actual Physical Control for walking their bike home when over the limit. Or does an APC have to be a motor vehicle?

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got rid of mine. I decided it was no longer fun to ride since I had to be on high alert the whole time and was constantly worried I was going to get hit.
Well I got rear ended at a stoplight a couple years ago. It was a good time!! I enjoyed it immensely!!

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bike lanes between the traffic lane and the parking lane have to be the dumbest things ever. Traffic entering the right turn lane has to cross the bike lane - think they look before crossing? Parked cars have to open their door into the bike lane - think they look before opening?

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mini Somalia (aka Minneapolis) HAS to be the capital city of bike lanes!

Another reason they should have just let it burn the summer '20.

Worst city in America...or very close!

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be honest, you have to be nuts to even ride a motorcycle these days. Look at the paper. There's a new dead person every week from motorcycle accidents. I rode when I was a kid. I'd never in my wildest imagination take to the streets today.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed LB,lol after my bike rides both of my "your #1" fingers are limp,hurry hurry,get the f off the road.
About the only hand signal I use is connected to my middle finger. LB

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tell ya what as a avid cyclist, toured all over weatern usa and alaska if given the choice riding with traffic makes a huge difference iffin your hit,ive been hit 3 times,twice hit n run years ago,we cyclists working out avg speed 20+mph on flat roads going with traffic is usually a glancing blow vs a head on splate @ 20+ mph riding into traffic,think about it.

Bike paths are another challenge, bicylist and walkers on same path dont mix,its one thing for a weekend mom and pop taking a low speed sunday bike ride vs a cyclist pushing his/her workout at high speed,some cities have bicycle speed limits of 10mph but no enforcement walk on path at your own risk,weekend spandix clowns abound and are a danger.
For as many bike riders that get hit from behind , I just don't understand why you would not ride facing traffic. I don't ride but what am I missing . I think I read where 1500 bike riders are hit each year

Last edited:

NodakBob

★ Legendary Member
And then the aimless walkers with ear buds on the paved trails create stupid hazards for the cyclists…or three people waking side by side with a dog on a leash and baby carriage…I’ve taken several tumbles trying not to hit them or the dog when they back into me…that’s why I prefer my biking…

NodakBob

★ Legendary Member
And BTW the shorts have padding for your junk. But they sell bike shorts that look like street shorts, so a guy doesn’t have to be flaming down the road..

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
And then the aimless walkers with ear buds on the paved trails create stupid hazards for the cyclists…or three people waking side by side with a dog on a leash and baby carriage…I’ve taken several tumbles trying not to hit them or the dog when they back into me…that’s why I prefer my biking…

I have questions.

NodakBob

★ Legendary Member
Prefer MT biking…

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 185
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 56