Varmintor 4.0/banish 30?

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who’s got one and what are your thoughts? I know plenty of people on here shoot through 3.0s.

any significant POI changes?
Does it heat up quickly being all titanium only after a few rounds? Any issues with breaking it down?

any long term/older suppressor users have anything against Dakota silencer? I’ve heard they like to “cater” more to the newby suppressor owners kind of like car salesmen

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Varminter 2.0 in 30 cal, a 3.0 in 223, and a 4.0 in 30 cal on the way. I have no complaints about them or Dakota Silencer. They make it as easy a possible.
There will be a POI change vs unsuppressed, but that's to be expected with any suppressor.
If you do a mag dump, you won't want to touch it for a while, but they cool down pretty quickly too.

One thing I'd recommend is to get their baffle removal tool. It makes cleaning much easier.
https://www.dakotasilencer.com/product/baffle-removal-tool-varminter-3-0-varminter-4-0-lima-tango-rimfire-silencer-cleaning/

Last edited:

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I have a 4.0 and have no complaints. They sure have the process of getting one streamlined, and that's probably the reason I went with Dakota Silencer.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking at the 4.0. I like the way you can drop off a couple inches and have a 7" instead if the full 9". Not sure what it does for the decibel level but the reduced weight and balance of the 7" has my attention

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dakota silencer 4.0 is a good can. I have one on order since March 25. They didn't submit app until April 24 which pisses me off. Their excuse was that they sell lots of suppressors and get behind on paper work. I told them if they get that far behind they should be doing paperwork instead of running to another gun show to sell more. If they get my $1100 immediately my paperwork should get done immediately.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll be looking more at barrel length in the future for dedicated suppressor guns. I’ll also look at cartridges that give up less MV when cut to shorter lengths.

The add or subtract feature on the 4.0 appears nice, but running a shorter barrel is where the real advantage is IMO to save on overall rifle length. I have one rifle that I think I’m carrying around a telephone pole in the field when the can is on.

Bluegill

Dakota silencer 4.0 is a good can. I have one on order since March 25. They didn't submit app until April 24 which pisses me off. Their excuse was that they sell lots of suppressors and get behind on paper work. I told them if they get that far behind they should be doing paperwork instead of running to another gun show to sell more. If they get my $1100 immediately my paperwork should get done immediately.

I completely agree with you. I ordered the 4.0 in mid November this year I recently got an email saying mine was received by the ATF on January 25 so it took over 2 months for mine. On the other hand I have the varmiter 3.0 and really like it.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
The add or subtract feature on the 4.0 appears nice, but running a shorter barrel is where the real advantage is IMO to save on overall rifle length. I have one rifle that I think I’m carrying around a telephone pole in the field when the can is on.

What you seek is a bullpup. https://deserttech.com/srs.php
My SRS with 26" barrel is shorter overall than my AR with 20" barrel.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bullpup guns make me think Europe and that makes me hate them. Just a weird thought I’ve always had

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
how about anyone have any experience with Silencerco harvester 300? I have heard some good things from some people i know and they have a good deal on em now at 580+70ish for adaptor. I really like the reviews on the thunderbeast ultra 7 which was recommended by someone on here but the price is almost double so will most likely be the 2nd one, because, obviously you never just have one suppressor right?!?

Sodbuster

Check out Rebel Silencers. I just ordered one on Friday. I bought their SOS Lapua, good for 338 LM, at 400 bucks and was highly recommended by the dealer I went through it was hard not to. It is an aluminum can so not full auto rated. I believe a 30 cal can you can pickup for $300 and 5.56 can for 250.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the reviews on the thunderbeast ultra 7 which was recommended by someone on here but the price is almost double so will most likely be the 2nd one, because, obviously you never just have one suppressor right?!?

I don't have one, but I know Thunderbeast is very highly regarded in the precision rifle world. The problem is, as far as I can tell, they don't come apart for cleaning. That's a problem for me ref: [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?12106-Suppressor-Point-of-Impact-Shift/page2[/FONT] Maybe they have a better baffle design that doesn't collect as much crap, but I doubt it.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been eyeing the witt machine dirty 30 and canooter valve. For the prices of those cans every gun should have one

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been eyeing the witt machine dirty 30 and canooter valve. For the prices of those cans every gun should have one
Hadn't heard of them before. Those are crazy-short. The 30 cal is only 4 inches long. I have a hard time believing it works anywhere near as well as a 9 or even 7 inch can. If it weren't for the (ridiculous) NFA rules, I'd give one a try. It's hard to risk a $200 tax stamp and months of waiting on something that is unproven.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hadn't heard of them before. Those are crazy-short. The 30 cal is only 4 inches long. I have a hard time believing it works anywhere near as well as a 9 or even 7 inch can. If it weren't for the (ridiculous) NFA rules, I'd give one a try. It's hard to risk a $200 tax stamp and months of waiting on something that is unproven.

That's kinda why I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. There is a few videos of them on the witt machine Facebook page. I asked them what the decibel level on a 300 win mag is and they said around 135 depending on load and barrel length

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
. I asked them what the decibel level on a 300 win mag is and they said around 135 depending on load and barrel length

That would be pretty impressive considering Thunderbeast says their Ultra 7 is 134-136 for a 308. I'm trying to find some unbiased reviews / testing of them, but not finding much. There's a video showing it side by side with another longer can, and it sounds quieter, but the guy shooting the Wit is further from the camera, and you have no idea what kind of load each is shooting.

Their claim of "no blowback" is also intriguing. Shooting an AR suppressed is not as fun as it could be due to the additional action fouling that occurs. Shooting left handed, I get more gas and crap in my face than most.

Last edited:

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member

That would be pretty impressive considering Thunderbeast says their Ultra 7 is 134-136 for a 308. I'm trying to find some unbiased reviews / testing of them, but not finding much. There's a video showing it side by side with another longer can, and it sounds quieter, but the guy shooting the Wit is further from the camera, and you have no idea what kind of load each is shooting.

Their claim of "no blowback" is also intriguing. Shooting an AR suppressed is not as fun as it could be due to the additional action fouling that occurs. Shooting left handed, I get more gas and crap in my face than most.

I'm not too worried about blowback as it will be on bolt guns 99 percent of the time

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33