Suppressor Choices for Hunting?

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am finally going to break down and buy a suppressor. It will be used for prairie dog and coyote hunting. I have already decided that I want a titanium can in 30 cal. I will be using it on 6mm down to 17 caliber. I have shot both the Yankee Hill and Dakota Silencer varminter. I just wonder if there is any better out there and what the pros and cons are.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the same boat looking at the varmiter or else the thunder beast ultra 9 but am new to the suppressor game so any info is appreciated. I know a lot of the long range guys are using the thunder beast but I think the varminter is a little quiter I think and its also cheaper. I'm still undecided in which route to go or maybe there is a better option?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a silencerco omega 300. It’s lightweight and modular. I can use it with a QD mount that locks down over a muzzle device or I can do direct thread with 1/2” or 5/8” threads. The endcap is also removable so I can put a muzzle brake on the end of the silencer to reduce recoil or a flat cap to reduce the length. Mix and match to make it suit your purpose.

4535D5AC-17D3-401F-A501-FE4027C93AFD.jpg

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't think you'll like the performance shooting small calibers through that .30 can, the tighter the tolerance the quieter they are. You'll be ok until you hear someone shooting a 6.5 through a 6.5 can and 22 cals through a .224 then you'll get a few more. For the love of cans don't shoot a rimfire through an unserviceable big bore can, you won't be happy the next time you shoot a 30 cal through it.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't think you'll like the performance shooting small calibers through that .30 can, the tighter the tolerance the quieter they are. You'll be ok until you hear someone shooting a 6.5 through a 6.5 can and 22 cals through a .224 then you'll get a few more. For the love of cans don't shoot a rimfire through an unserviceable big bore can, you won't be happy the next time you shoot a 30 cal through it.
I understand that but want to start off with the 30 cal and add more sometime in the future. I figured start with the biggest bore I have and work my way down in caliber

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dunno. My 30 cal can on my 22-250 doesn't seem much different than my 22 cal can on my 223.
If you only have one, you want it to be a 30 cal. I have the Varminter 2.0, my brother has the 3.0, and I'm thinking pretty hard about getting a 4.0. They're good cans at a decent price.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dunno. My 30 cal can on my 22-250 doesn't seem much different than my 22 cal can on my 223.
If you only have one, you want it to be a 30 cal. I have the Varminter 2.0, my brother has the 3.0, and I'm thinking pretty hard about getting a 4.0. They're good cans at a decent price.

The hell, I guess you have to hear it when someone else shoots them from a ways off. I really noticed it when my son was shooting his 6.5 through a 6.5 VAPR can and I was shooting my 6.5 through a .30 Shadow XL TI, very noticeable but those 6.5 cans get hot pretty quick.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So who do all of you recommend to do the barrel threading would like to stay in Bismarck or Minot area but will travel if I have to to get quality work done.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So who do all of you recommend to do the barrel threading would like to stay in Bismarck or Minot area but will travel if I have to to get quality work done.

Can’t speak for central ND. In the east, Curt @ The Outdoorsman is great but his lathe usually limits him to barrels that are 22” or longer. For shorter barrels, I recently used Connor Severance in Wyndmere. He trades work with another competent smith out of state so if his equipment can’t do it he can send it out to have it done for the same price.

- - - Updated - - -

You’re probably right, but for most guys (like me) we’re just tired of our ears ringing for 2 days after we tag da turdy point buck. If I’m really worried about it, I can swap out the .30 endcap on my Omega for a .223 diameter endcap. 30 db sound reduction vs 33db might not be worth the extra $800-$1,000 it would cost to pick up another can.

I do agree on the “don’t shoot rimfire through an unserviceable can” suggestion.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34