Weather...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barley can't be too far behind.

I enjoy looking at crops this time of the year and haven't saw a barley field yet . I drove to Lawton/Brockett area and back last week , took a different route back home and not one noticeable barley field. Either there's not much of it planted this year or they got it in real late, every crop I drove past looked great.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I enjoy looking at crops this time of the year and haven't saw a barley field yet . I drove to Lawton/Brockett area and back last week , took a different route back home and not one noticeable barley field. Either there's not much of it planted this year or they got it in real late, every crop I drove past looked great.
I saw on the news tonight that barley acres are down 45% from last year and there is a surplus of old crop. You guys arn't drinking enough beer.

Catfisherman1982

I was really surprised to see that much barley down here. I remember years ago when I lived up around Bottineau it was wheat, barley, canola, and flax. Still remember binding up the combine with that flax, worst fricken crop to harvest back in the day as the temps really had an effect on the harvest. Then I moved down south a bit in ND and it was wheat, barley, sunflowers, and corn...not a whole lot of soybeans at that time. Now around here it has been soybeans or corn with very little wheat or anything else besides this year. Now this year I am seeing more canola and barley then in years past with of course the usual soybeans and corn. Wondering how that works with all these new combines and headers, guess I don't know much about farming equipment as I did in the past these days.

Tinesdown

Established Member
I was really surprised to see that much barley down here. I remember years ago when I lived up around Bottineau it was wheat, barley, canola, and flax. Still remember binding up the combine with that flax, worst fricken crop to harvest back in the day as the temps really had an effect on the harvest. Then I moved down south a bit in ND and it was wheat, barley, sunflowers, and corn...not a whole lot of soybeans at that time. Now around here it has been soybeans or corn with very little wheat or anything else besides this year. Now this year I am seeing more canola and barley then in years past with of course the usual soybeans and corn. Wondering how that works with all these new combines and headers, guess I don't know much about farming equipment as I did in the past

I was really surprised to see that much barley down here. I remember years ago when I lived up around Bottineau it was wheat, barley, canola, and flax. Still remember binding up the combine with that flax, worst fricken crop to harvest back in the day as the temps really had an effect on the harvest. Then I moved down south a bit in ND and it was wheat, barley, sunflowers, and corn...not a whole lot of soybeans at that time. Now around here it has been soybeans or corn with very little wheat or anything else besides this year. Now this year I am seeing more canola and barley then in years past with of course the usual soybeans and corn. Wondering how that works with all these new combines and headers, guess I don't know much about farming equipment as I did in the past these days.
I would tell u the farmers are doing good meet a farmer u will never be out of money if u work a farm job. Its hard to to find a farm that wont hire ur ass.

Tinesdown

Established Member
I would tell u the farmers are doing good meet a farmer u will never be out of money if u work a farm job. Its hard to to find a farm that wont hire ur ass.
Thing about farmers they are tighter than a u know what but they prolly need laborers

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Haha, I might have a nightmare after reading about flax. My dad and I helped my brother in law combine flax after the wind had rolled it up against the tree rows. He had a105 JD and it would pull that stuff in like rope and she would let out a big ol groan and plug. We tried using pitchforks but it wasn't worth it so in the end the flax won.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flax sucks. No question about that as its straw is remarkably tough and long lasting, but safflower is my absolute least favorite crop in ND. That shiite just absolutely sucks as it dries out. Those leaves can be sharp as a knife! We had to wear welding gloves to unplug a jammed up combine!

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like some pretty nasty hail from the Lincoln area last night. Just saw a little bigger than pea size in town. Anybody get hammered?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
South of Bismarck by Apple Creek WMA no hail and you would get more moisture out of a popcorn fart than we received last night. Looking up at U Mary which is a little over 1 mile away it was raining very heavy as I could not see the buildings.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was on Bakken oilfield fail FB page claiming to be from Lincoln last night

1722348179002.png

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, that pic above came from Lincoln. Largest I ran across at my place was a little over 2 inch diameter, but several friends (including the above pic) had hail up to 4 inches in diameter.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guessing a 4 inch hail stone whacks you in the noodle, you are probably not getting back up, maybe ever.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was bad south Bismarck by college to east and Lincoln and north as in picture by Harmon lake. Was out helping cousins and friends putting plastic up on camper,vehicles,boats.house and brought big wet vac etc.. till insurance comes out. I will say them new pop can ford bodies sure look pretty after it. Never seens shit that big in person or crazy damage it caused. The gods saved me I am in north of Bismarck.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yikes, those would do a number on pretty much anything. Bet insurance agents are busy today.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 47
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 15