Van Hook braces for drilling

Wildbill65

Founding Member
Founding Member
By Lauren Donovan / Bismarck Tribune on Apr 1, 2017 at 4:24 p.m.
I read this this morning on the Jamestown Paper LOL
800 feet from the boat ramp!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------

0b52dxj0kvwfrrkpym1lqawn0y2s_0.jpg
image-info.png
1 / 5

VAN HOOK, N.D. — A fleet of earth-moving equipment rumbles across the black dirt at a multi-well oil pad very near Lake Sakakawea's busiest boat ramp.

Slawson Exploration didn't hesitate to start work on a controversial 11-well unit about 800 feet from the ramp at Van Hook Recreational Site, where hundreds have cabins, thousands recreate and 90,000 visitors were tallied in the most recent year counted.
The company was issued a final permit March 10, and scrapers and dozers were at the pad five days later. That may seem like record time off the starting block, but company spokesman Eric Sundberg points out that the permit to extract oil 2 miles below Lake Sakakawea was five years in the process.
This time of year, the yellow machinery crawling around the 25-acre dirt pad is about the only thing moving at Van Hook. Stubborn, rotting ice still reaches up to choke off the ramp and the dozen or so year-round residents are just starting to think about yard work and priming the boat motor.
They're also thinking about what life will be like when a drilling rig moves in next month and hydraulic fracking crews come behind it. They haven't forgotten that Slawson lost control of an oil well just to the east of Van Hook in 2012 and a plume of oil, gas and salt water spewed 50 feet high for two days before the well was controlled. There also was a nearby fire on a tank battery during a lightning storm last summer.
Beyond the unusual events, the Van Hook arm — a vast reach of water extending north from the main lake proper — is surrounded by what has become mostly routine oil development. The arm is entirely within the exterior boundaries of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, which has 1,600 oil wells, 10 rigs drilling and another 500 wells permitted.
Arden Eide retired to a home at Van Hook. There's a sunny attached porch with an outdoor kitchen and kayaks piled up, evidence that when warm weather rolls in, so do the good times.
Eide also is a member of the Mountrail County Park Board that manages the Van Hook site, and the Friends of Sakakawea, an advocacy group that objected to the proximity of the Slawson project.
The park board didn't have any say in the wells' location and would have preferred more of a setback from the busy ramp. But Eide says it will also receive some lease revenue from the project, creating the sort of nuance familiar to many — the oil patch takes, it gives and for the most part, it just is.
"All of us who live here, our life's been compromised by the Bakken," Eide said.
The wells' closeness to the water, where families unload boats and coolers is a concern.
"That blowout was very close," he said.
On the other hand, an oil transload on the railroad about a mile away is noisy and loud, and, over the years, the sounds of wells being fracked were audible all over the Van Hook arm.
"In the summertime, with all the people running around at all hours, the campfires, this is not a pristine, noise-free place. But that's people recreating, not industry," Eide said. "I've got confidence they will minimize (disruption). I'm withholding judgment until I see how it turns out."
Colleen Dorval, of Van Hook, was babysitting her granddaughter in the baby's parent's home, the closest one at Van Hook to the well development just across the roadway.
She can hear the low rumble of the machinery at work, but said she was uncomfortable talking about the wells because her husband is a Slawson Exploration employee.
"I will say my worries are lessened by the fact that I know my husband will do all he can in his control to make sure it's done properly," she said.
A few blocks away, down the dirt lanes that divide the 120 Van Hook cabin sites into town-like blocks, Ron and Margo Egeberg were enjoying a quiet noon hour together.
Ron Egeberg said he could hear the roar of the 2012 blowout and remembers the sound.
"That'd be the main worry. It's a shame it has to be where it's at, but we aren't going to stop it now," he said.
In balance, though, he doesn't think the project will change life much at Van Hook and hopes it doesn't disrupt the fishing or result in chaos.
Margo Egeberg says they love living at Van Hook year round, with its winter quiet, summer fishing and friendly neighbors.
"I just hope everything stays good," she said.
Up the road a few miles, Terry Clayton is counting on that. He owns the bustling Ranchman's 23 restaurant at the crossroads of Highway 23 and Highway 8. He has plans to add a $5 million, Western-style retail pavilion, with an outdoors cantina and roping arena.
He depends on locals, including Van Hook recreationists, for the bulk of his business. There are oil wells on either side of the truck stop and motel that partner the restaurant development.
"This is the way it is here in the oil field; it's a way of life," Clayton said. "I've got mixed emotions (about the Slawson project). It's positive for the area, and wells are all around here already. I don't see where the impact will be unless someone is living beside it. Once the wells are completed, I think there'll be very little impact."
Sundberg said the company will do what it can to make the drilling and production compatible for Van Hook users. The company will build a 32-foot-high sound barrier around the well pad, use a quieter electric instead of gas-driven drilling rig and run pipelines to a storage tank battery three-quarter's mile distant.
Each of the 11 wells will cost in the range of $8 million, partly because the well's horizontal legs will extend out 3 miles to tap into the Bakken shale far below the bed of Van Hook arm.
Eide says no matter how close or loud it may be, he doesn't think the well development will affect the overall popularity of Van Hook, a lively and lovely destination, with its cabins, bait store, camping, parks and lake shore all around.
"As long as the walleye are biting, people will be here. Will it take away from their experience? Probably," he said.

Last edited by a moderator:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep no big deal. won't affect launching boats at all, or parking.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nothing new about oil drilling near van hook. Been doing it for the past decade!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget any hatches open on the 4th of July weekend.
you can't believe how hard they are on us now. 10K fine for each hatch found open. They drive around with a FLIR unit and check. Forced us to buy our own and hire three people just to go around and inspect on a bi-monthly basis. Couldn't believe how many hatches leak when shut. Cost use hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace all our hatch seals and constantly inspect/repair the damn things. It's gotten completely out of hand.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
very few fiberglass tanks being used anymore.

Who needs multimillion dollar oil equipment. I use cheap old tanks and a drill bit I got for a steal of a deal on Craigslist and find crude oil like old man Clampett!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who needs multimillion dollar oil equipment. I use cheap old tanks and a drill bit I got for a steal of a deal on Craigslist and find crude oil like old man Clampett!

no doubt i dont know why these people think they need high dollar equipment. I have an old stock tank i jb welded a plastic top to and my model 30 jiffy to drill holes

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
And it not just an open hatch, they see a leak on the FLIR.... I can only imagine what it would be like had Clinton been elected.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
WTH. Where are the water protectors? Where have they been all these years of drilling that close to the water? More evidence that it was never about protecting the water. The locals that spoke are correct. Yes, the Bakken has created a lot of problems, it has also created a lot of opportunity. Finding the correct balance is the key to all development.

Would I want a stinky oil well in my backyard. Absolutely not or least not unless I owned the rights to the oil, then it would be drill, baby drill.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
you can't believe how hard they are on us now. 10K fine for each hatch found open. They drive around with a FLIR unit and check. Forced us to buy our own and hire three people just to go around and inspect on a bi-monthly basis. Couldn't believe how many hatches leak when shut. Cost use hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace all our hatch seals and constantly inspect/repair the damn things. It's gotten completely out of hand.

Are you talking about AVO??! Were doing that right now in our feild and our boss is about to tear his hair out.... Yea almost all our tank hatches failed... Most brand new... I've ran a 4 way monitor around one and couldn't find anything and they ran there gun thing over it and showed the tiny microscopic puff of gas leaking... Stuck the 4 way on that exact spot took over 5 minutes till it actually started detecting an odor!! Funny thing those hatches are made to vent at a certain oz pressure... Usually​ around 4oz ... You loose all the vapors Evey day when you gauge your tanks ... So really its pointless... There trying to make everyone go to automated computer screens that read the tank levels for you....

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you talking about AVO??! Were doing that right now in our feild and our boss is about to tear his hair out.... Yea almost all our tank hatches failed... Most brand new... I've ran a 4 way monitor around one and couldn't find anything and they ran there gun thing over it and showed the tiny microscopic puff of gas leaking... Stuck the 4 way on that exact spot took over 5 minutes till it actually started detecting an odor!! Funny thing those hatches are made to vent at a certain oz pressure... Usually​ around 4oz ... You loose all the vapors Evey day when you gauge your tanks ... So really its pointless... There trying to make everyone go to automated computer screens that read the tank levels for you....

That would be awesome, I'm getting to frickening old to climb them stairs.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think he is talking about the new BLM/EPA tank venting, flaring, greenhouse gas events, etc....rules and fines. Anything releasing uncombusted gas will get ya fined, and the tanks need constant checking to stay on top of the little leaks we find on our batteries. Air assist flares help a great deal.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
air assists have proven to be great for this. They also need to design a better sealing seal. One with multiple sealing surfaces not just a single flat area. The aluminum base also corrodes and gets pits in it. It's a learning process no doubt. And an expensive one. One burner goes out in the evening and vents all the gas and it's releasing more gas in a few hours than one seeping tank hatch does in a year. It's dumb as hell.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 156
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88