West Fargo Police Chief Fired?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fellow Little Minneapolisites, does anyone know what's going on with Chief Mike Reiten in West Fargo? City commission placed him on leave and both he and the commission are being tight lipped about it. Sounds like he isn't coming back anytime soon, if at all. I had one interaction with him years ago when he was assistant chief. I won't bore you with details but he made a good impression. He must have screwed up pretty good based on the reaction from the commission. Or there's some real ass-hatery on the commission...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
An inside source tells Valley News Live that Reitan has been leading by intimidation and bullying.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fellow Little Minneapolisites, does anyone know what's going on with Chief Mike Reiten in West Fargo? City commission placed him on leave and both he and the commission are being tight lipped about it. Sounds like he isn't coming back anytime soon, if at all. I had one interaction with him years ago when he was assistant chief. I won't bore you with details but he made a good impression. He must have screwed up pretty good based on the reaction from the commission. Or there's some real ass-hatery on the commission...

I lived there towards the end of Rasmussen being chief (15 - 20 years ago), he was a good man. He told me once that the young cops had no clue how to serve the community. They just lifted weights and bullied people.

Maybe that's where the current leadership came from.

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have met Mr. Reitan and from my interactions with him, he seems like a good man. With the PC world these days, old school leadership doesn't last long, even though in many cases it has a proven track record.

I can speak from experience from a corporate environment, it is impossible to fire someone unless HR says you do. It is almost impossible to keep someone from getting fired if HR suggests you will. In my case, HR has no direct dealings with the local team leaving everything up to "he said-she said". For that reason I may be done with public run entities and will likely be working in the private sector until retirement. Integrity, honesty, loyalty, accountability etc....no longer mean a damn thing.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have met Mr. Reitan and from my interactions with him, he seems like a good man. With the PC world these days, old school leadership doesn't last long, even though in many cases it has a proven track record.

I can speak from experience from a corporate environment, it is impossible to fire someone unless HR says you do. It is almost impossible to keep someone from getting fired if HR suggests you will. In my case, HR has no direct dealings with the local team leaving everything up to "he said-she said". For that reason I may be done with public run entities and will likely be working in the private sector until retirement. Integrity, honesty, loyalty, accountability etc....no longer mean a damn thing.

Private sector HR is no different. I have witnessed this a few times and it always makes you scratch your head. Seems there is zero common sense to their reasons most times. I'm am sure government entities are worse.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reports coming in now say Reiten was mean to employees. Seems weird, though, to basically tell a chief he's fired without having a backup plan. Unless, of course, the commission's been planning a transition to a new chief for some time. Unless there was a major incident that required immediate suspension, city could be setting themselves up to get sued.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reports coming in now say Reiten was mean to employees. Seems weird, though, to basically tell a chief he's fired without having a backup plan. Unless, of course, the commission's been planning a transition to a new chief for some time. Unless there was a major incident that required immediate suspension, city could be setting themselves up to get sued.

served with him and his wife in the air guard. liked him. stern, stern but fair

his wife was nice too albeit a bit intense. he was a mouse compared to her, but again, they were both just fine to work with and be around.

I hope he sues the poo out of wf ;-)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58