What bears like for a snack.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walked out my front door and there was a black bear about 30 yards away , turned around to tell wife and it was gone. I'd like to get pics of it , what would they smell and not resist ? I was thinking bacon grease over a suit block in a wire holder ? I know nothing about bear so i need of some sound advice.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walked out my front door and there was a black bear about 30 away , turned around to tell wife and it was gone. I'd like to get pics of it , what would they smell and not resist ? I was thinking bacon grease over a suit block in a wire holder ? I know nothing about bear so i need of some sound advice.
This is really cool....I'll be following to see how this turns out.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No pic didn't happen...
main-qimg-baea008308afbe96e60c0c05e79ca217.gif

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honey Burn

1717158480383.png

Be careful I know a guy who burned a few thousand acres of the Canadian bush while trying a honey burn.

here is one example

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walked out my front door and there was a black bear about 30 yards away , turned around to tell wife and it was gone. I'd like to get pics of it , what would they smell and not resist ? I was thinking bacon grease over a suit block in a wire holder ? I know nothing about bear so i need of some sound advice.
Was it this guy! Not sure where you live in the hills but there has been numerous sightings this week. A single one and a sow with three cubs
IMG_8238.jpeg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your camping --- you think brushing your teeth and spitting on the old campfire ---the tooth paste attracks them.

They will eat anything.

I wouldnt bait em at all and i would look at pictures all day on the internet.

My brother was picking huckleberries and he was reaching around the tree and his hand went on the paw --- both the bear and him looked at each other at the same time and jumped. The bear was so scared. He has video of that bear later on down the hill ---- its almost like the bear was relieved to see them leave and waved.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah baiting a bear to your yard is ill advised. Its all fun and games until they start destroying stuff or someone gets attacked. Id be eliminating things that attract them, not adding.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trapper , I'm on the lake road about 4 miles south of 43 . Having been my first sighting ever ,I have nothing to compare it to other than it was bigger , blacker and shinier that I had imagined one would look like.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not too worried about getting eaten by a black bear. I poured bacon grease over a suit block at the bird feeder , chances are I'll never get a picture or ever see it again .

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not too worried about getting eaten by a black bear. I poured bacon grease over a suit block at the bird feeder , chances are I'll never get a picture or ever see it again .
There are more up there than a person thinks, I have been seeing sign around Butte St.Paul (area I live in) for quite some time now.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
:unsure: I'd leave a trail of marshmallows and jelly donuts from the bird feeder to the front window so you can get a really good picture. :oops:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah baiting a bear to your yard is ill advised. Its all fun and games until they start destroying stuff or someone gets attacked. Id be eliminating things that attract them, not adding.
This^^^^^^

Wouldn't want a bear getting used to being fed around my house, only asking for trouble. We had one wander thru our place about 8 years ago. Was eating waste corn in my food plot.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What worked for our black bear attractant and to cover our scent.

Small pot of jello over a can of sterno,the sweet smell woofing thru the dense woods proved irresistible,however as stated best idea not to bait the bear to your home,bad things will happen,not worth jeopardizing family saftey,never know if said bear is in your yard with cubs,ive had 400 + lb blacks walk up on my bait site never making noise not even a stick or branch snap,like a ghost they appear so slient.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 133
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66