What do you do when not hunting/fishing?

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reload, shoot, ride my cycle. I have a two month old grandchild, so that is a nice addition. Anything outside is fine with me; better if you can drink beer while doing it.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am just getting situated (out from under family's wing). I bought my first fishing boat so I have spent some time working on that. I also bought a Polaris Ranger that needs some TLC. We just moved so we are still getting settled. I am constantly trying to learn about how to fish in ND. Somewhat new to ND fishing along with fishing off the boat. I am also getting into reloading. I have to adapt to reloading in small spaces so I'm trying to build a reload stand that is lightweight and compact. As soon as that is finished I'm balls to the wall reloading!! Other than that I am spending time with the kiddos playing XBOX fixing their bikes and just trying to keep them busy. When I'm not hunting or fishing I'm thinking of hunting and fishing...:eek:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to adapt to reloading in small spaces so I'm trying to build a reload stand that is lightweight and compact.

Small is fine, lightweight is probably not. It's a pain in the rump having things wiggle around when trying to cam a neck back past the expander ball of your resizing die. In limited space I'd get one of these: http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html way before I built a lightweight stand/bench that moves when I'm trying to use it. Plus, that press is compacter than any stand you're going to build.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the winter not a whole lot of anything. I enjoy going to races in the summer. I do a lot of grilling and drinking also.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Small is fine, lightweight is probably not. It's a pain in the rump having things wiggle around when trying to cam a neck back past the expander ball of your resizing die. In limited space I'd get one of these: http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html way before I built a lightweight stand/bench that moves when I'm trying to use it. Plus, that press is compacter than any stand you're going to build.

I was thinking about building something like this but with a little bit thicker wood. I bought some nice looking stair tread from Menards that is thick and heavy. I probably should have used the word portable in place of lightweight. Something heavy enough to handle the press but light enough that I can put in the garage and bring out when I want to. Cut out some handles and should be portable and sturdy enough...I hope. Any other ideas are much appreciated.

I didn't even know that they had hand presses or I might have got that instead of my RCBS Rock Chucker. Thanks for the info!!
reloading_bench.jpg

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
That setup will probably work. You're going to need C clamps of some sort to make it 'permanent' while you are using it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something like that box looks reasonable. Get yourself some large fender washers for the bottom side of the board under the press anchor bolts to spread out the torque. Stacking several sizes of fender washers together isn't a bad plan either.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like people watching. Spend my evenings cruising around in a cargo van. Like to park outside bars on weekends and just hang out in my van, thinking things I can't say out loud. And fishing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like people watching. Spend my evenings cruising around in a cargo van. Like to park outside bars on weekends and just hang out in my van, thinking things I can't say out loud. And fishing.

Lay off the weed and you'll have more ambition than to drive around/parking in such a manner as both you and everyone else thinks you're lost.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lay off the weed and you'll have more ambition than to drive around/parking in such a manner as both you and everyone else thinks you're lost.
Sorry SDMF, I forget that it's hard for people to know when I'm kidding on the Internet. The smart-assery is subtle.

Ok, like everyone else here I spend a lot of time thinking about hunting. (Did you know it's 152 days to waterfowl opener?) Lately I've really been enjoying my job as I'm spending a fair amount of time writing. Some guys are lucky enough to get to build things with their hands for a living. I get to "build something" in writing. I have a purdy wife, a purdy dog, and purdy kids. I like playing with all kinds of semi-auto guns. It's a fascination with practical, utilitarian mechanical engineering combined with repeated "bang!".

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe we do need that sarcasm button after all.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Sorry SDMF, I forget that it's hard for people to know when I'm kidding on the Internet. The smart-assery is subtle.

Ok, like everyone else here I spend a lot of time thinking about hunting. (Did you know it's 152 days to waterfowl opener?) Lately I've really been enjoying my job as I'm spending a fair amount of time writing. Some guys are lucky enough to get to build things with their hands for a living. I get to "build something" in writing. I have a purdy wife, a purdy dog, and purdy kids. I like playing with all kinds of semi-auto guns. It's a fascination with practical, utilitarian mechanical engineering combined with repeated "bang!".

What kind of writing do you do? I'm envious of writers as it is not my forte.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

You mean like cursive or calligraphy? I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that he doesn't actually write, he types. :p

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Modest and mildly-technical writing. Tedious, boring reference materials. But it's mine! Feels great to get paid to create something.*

*I assure you, the stuff I get paid to write is much better than my Interwebs blather. And more corrector to.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Modest and mildly-technical writing. Tedious, boring reference materials. But it's mine! Feels great to get paid to create something.*

*I assure you, the stuff I get paid to write is much better than my Interwebs blather. And more corrector to.

yawn

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

I see what you did there.

Pretty neat. I find writing to be a fascinating spectrum.

Also, well played on the signature.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69