What do you think about expensive reels?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I made do with spinning reels in the $40-$50 range for years. Friend of mine bought a $100 Pflueger Supreme spinning reel...Gave it a try. I was wrong thinking that a $40-$50 reel was almost as good as a $100 reel. That supreme is great, smooth, good drag and very castable and well balanced.

I may be in the market for a new reel and thinking of the Pflueger Supreme xt reel. But looking at the sporting good store catalogs and in the stores I see spinning reels costing more than $200, $400, $600 and even over $800.

I wonder when does the "reel" benefits (pun intended) max out on spinning reels. What is the most expensive spinning reel would you by if you weren't crazy rich but had a $1000 burning a hole in your pocket? or simply what is the most expensive spinning reel that you own...and is it worth it?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run pflueger presidents on most of my open water rods. Best bang for the buck, no doubt about it. My ice rods have shimano siennas. Another great real for $30. I'm sure the $200 reels are lighter, have slightly better components, and may have a better warranty, but my president's are going on 5 years with zero decrease in performance. every winter, the summer reels get a cleaning and a dab of oil before they're put away.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
honestly the more you spend the better they are. I like the pfluegers but they don't have flippin switches on their bait casters so won't buy any more than the one I have.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know, I don't mind spending money when I want to or need to but I would have a hard time spending 200+ on a reel. Depends on where your passion is.

For me fishing isn't real serious business, so I won't spend the money on higher end equipment. I won't buy the real cheap stuff though either.

Archery - that's a different story.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think $100 would get you a real you'd be more than happy with. anything over that is simply luxury.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76