What got you hooked?

JoGa

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can still remember making lead jigs in the basement, and having my paps show me how to cast properly.

I don't remember my 1st fish, but I remember plenty from my youth. I was hooked from as far back as I can remember. Hangin with my paps was amazing no matter what we were doing, but fishing was the pinnacle.

What got ya'll hooked?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing has interested people since the dawn of our ability to make tools. To put some meat on a hook and send it into a place where we can not go, and then bring a creature back from that unknown place excites us. That is why I fish, I have obsessed about it since I was old enough to use my thumbs, since I learned to stomp on a bream and use it as bait to lure giant snapping turtles closer to shore to see what they really looked like, since that first fish got away I didn't get to see that kept me up all night wondering what it was.

Kim Fundingsland asked me why I do what I do in an interview one time, I told him I don't have an answer for that, but I have been asked that my entire life...why? which I believe inspired him to write the article "a question of why" http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/520339/COLUMN--A-fair-question.html

so, I can't really say for sure what got me hooked, I can barely give a logical answer as to why I fish, but I do know it was an obsession before I could ride a bike.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The SOLITUDE a person can find while fishing. Since I was very young, fishing has provided me with a way to get away from it all and regain perspective on what matters and what doesn't. I also enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to catch whatever fish I'm after and It doesn't hurt that I REALLY like to eat fresh fish as well.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unwrapping the "gift" every time the strike comes or the bobber goes down. Is it the fish of a lifetime? Some type of fish I've never caught there before? A keeper for dinner? What is it? Feels like a nice one! It's staying down this time while the bass have been surfacing. Ooh... What is it?

Fishing for me just never ever gets old... The mystery gift that just keeps on giving.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've really never thought about it. I like to figure things out by eliminating variables. Once that happens, it's about pure relaxation. I grew up fishing and being in/on the water. This only seems natural.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
P.S. The Amazon ad in the corner keeps telling me to buy the Kotobuki Japanese Fish Bone Tweezers I was interested in. Should I?

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly fishing in the black hills is what first got me hooked. I now do more walleye fishing because of where I live. It seems like I can feel any stress I have being cast into the river along with my lure. I love that feeling almost as much as the tug at the end of the line!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing has interested people since the dawn of our ability to make tools. To put some meat on a hook and send it into a place where we can not go, and then bring a creature back from that unknown place excites us. That is why I fish, I have obsessed about it since I was old enough to use my thumbs, since I learned to stomp on a bream and use it as bait to lure giant snapping turtles closer to shore to see what they really looked like, since that first fish got away I didn't get to see that kept me up all night wondering what it was.

Kim Fundingsland asked me why I do what I do in an interview one time, I told him I don't have an answer for that, but I have been asked that my entire life...why? which I believe inspired him to write the article "a question of why" http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/520339/COLUMN--A-fair-question.html

so, I can't really say for sure what got me hooked, I can barely give a logical answer as to why I fish, but I do know it was an obsession before I could ride a bike.

I'm pretty sure it was ingrained in myself since my DNA was created.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 164
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90