What happened to the 16ga shotgun?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD,

I "obviously" thought you were speaking of twin action bars. (which are superior)

Last edited:

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most cowboy action shooting requires that the shotgun has an exposed hammer. Given that, the '97 holds more shells than every twin-blower (SxS) and allows for far fewer reloads. That's why folks use the '97 in CAS, not because there's no disconnect.
You have to load you shot gun on the clock in cowboy action. So a double can be just as fast as the 97. In Wildbunch you can have the shotgun preloaded. Back on topic the most of 16 guage 97 were prison shotguns during WW II since all the 12 guage ammo was going to the military.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW. I'm drinking some Bud (leaded). It just occurred to me an average farmer/hunter assumed a 16 ready to digest 2 3/4 fodder. When these longer hulls were introduced into repeaters; the ejection frustration put a lot of these guns under the bed/in the closet. 2 3/4 repeaters are marked as such. (not Nickle Steel) and will feed... I don't believe it matters much with a break action. There is probably a niche here with current technology. We could have 20/16/12 fun but the next barrier is steel. I have a full box of Win 16ga bismuth: the hulls are blue. IDK.

- - - Updated - - -

It also just dawned on me this was documented by Jim Carmichel when I was in Jr. High.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 16 gauge bolt action I love to take for sharpies it was my first shotgun makes you earn your birds that's for sure hard to get to that 3rd shot sharpies are slow enough that I usually can.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW. I'm drinking some Bud (leaded). It just occurred to me an average farmer/hunter assumed a 16 ready to digest 2 3/4 fodder. When these longer hulls were introduced into repeaters; the ejection frustration put a lot of these guns under the bed/in the closet. 2 3/4 repeaters are marked as such. (not Nickle Steel) and will feed... I don't believe it matters much with a break action. There is probably a niche here with current technology. We could have 20/16/12 fun but the next barrier is steel. I have a full box of Win 16ga bismuth: the hulls are blue. IDK.

- - - Updated - - -

It also just dawned on me this was documented by Jim Carmichel when I was in Jr. High.

Too much moisture under the bed and in the closet to matter much now. Just red lint and rust.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I meant steel shot, implement. BTW, I read the lyrics and am slightly frightened of the tune. Haven't listened yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88