What happened to the 16ga shotgun?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
They'll shoot, but you often have to shuck it violently to get it to eject.

Twin-blowers don't care.

Another thing about the M12. Take your finger off the trigger when you cycle it. It will slamfire.

Dad always explained that as an asset. I've a 20" Cyl choked '25 (non takedown '12) that I'm damned happy allows me to hold the trigger and pump.

- - - Updated - - -

Pard bestowed upon me a 5gal ice-cream pail 3/4 full of misc 16a ammo. Might have to drag the M12 out one day just to piss me off.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hence my comments on recoil. Be careful not to get a 20 on 12 frame or not. This is more of an issue with repeaters which may be a plus with smaller shooters. A 20/16, on the proper frame will kick no less than a 12 and perhaps more with the 3in 20ga abomination. Gun companies "now a days" and "days past" manufacture the same gun by preserving/shaving steel. Go to any companies website: The more "powerful" the rifle caliber; the lighter the weight. The 870/1100 16ga is a fine example of my rambling as they're nothing more than a 12ga preserving more steel; a benefit to smaller shooters but providing a heavier gun for them to tote. A M12/97 or a Savage single bbl is proportionate to gauge. This may be also true for the Ithaca 37 and I know it to be true for an A5 16 with it's sexy appointed Prince of Whales wrist and grip. It amuses me how the A5 is known for it's recoil as an H&R 20ga is good for a first shotgun. Shotguns kick.
forums

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winchester '96 is a plain-jane version of the 101 O/U shotgun made in Japan in the 1970's and I'm pretty sure no 16's. If you're referring to the take-down pump with the exposed hammer that was a '97

Sorry, I should have typed 1896. Dad and John were born in 1947 and it was his Grandpa's gun. He used it when they hunted pheasant and rabbit when they were in middle school. Dad carried his Grandpa's 12 ga Wingmaster. Not sure how old each gun actually is.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Twin blowers I suppose killed the M12 but the 870 has the aforementioned issues.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, you are correct. It replaced the 1893?

Dunno. I've got '12's and '25's but I've never shot a '97 much less whatever was it's predecessor.

I wouldn't have known '96 except that Grandpa had one that he'd won through some Standard Oil contest back in the 70's sometime. I've always kinda wanted it but I've shot it a few times and it's a mighty ugly sight. That shotgun is shooting somewhere other than where my eyes and hands are looking.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the slamfire on my ithica 37. Very nasty little 2 3/4 scenario.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
the 16 and I used to be close friends. It was toted as the gun that " Carries like a 20, hits like a 12" but that was when it was on the proper frame. The SxS I was so happy to carry was properly build on a 20 gauge frame. It was light to carry and pointed like a dream. One of the major issues that killed the 16 was Manufactures building the 16 on a 12 frame. now you have a gun that carries like a 12, hits like a wimpy 12.
Limited choices of ammo also plagued my beloved little shotgun, Scheeles usually carries either 4s or 5s. sometimes you could get lucky and find some steel 2s. but iw was never even half of what you could get in a 20, muchless the choices for a 12.
All of it ties together to the downfall of a great shooting shotgun. for those of you still letting the the 16 live on. heres to you :;:cheers

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah you can unload your gun by just pulling the trigger once.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats means you can fire off your shells even faster if needed. Only could be described as a bonus IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Just imagine if we went back in time to the wild west and got into a gun fight at the saloon. While others are wasting time pulling triggers i would have already dumped them and took a straight shot of whiskey.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is why the 97 is used so much in cowboy action. How the trigger down and just pump whenever you are on target.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad shoots a Browning Citori in 16ga. He buys his shells online from cheaperthandirt.com, the gun patterns unbelievably well! When he hits a rooster, it folds.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is why the 97 is used so much in cowboy action. How the trigger down and just pump whenever you are on target.
I'd surmise most practice this with Chinese copies. If not, they will soon. I don't know, it seems an abusive practice.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a sweetie!:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...ster-pre-war-mod-12-16ga.cfm?gun_id=100605716

It's a sweetheart but not Nickle Steel. It's hard to articulate but it's not as "svelte"...IMHO, Pat Madis was THE authority on the M12. I've talked with him on-line and later with his wife. She was going to include one of my emails in a new book but seemingly nothing has been produced. He liked me comparing the below book to a "Victoria's Secret" catalog.

th

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Most cowboy action shooting requires that the shotgun has an exposed hammer. Given that, the '97 holds more shells than every twin-blower (SxS) and allows for far fewer reloads. That's why folks use the '97 in CAS, not because there's no disconnect.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84