What keeps plastics on the Jig better??

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
While making jigs, a guy has some time to think about jig related issues and I was wondering if those wire keepers, a single lead barb, or a double lead barb hold plastics better. I have always used a single lead barb, but I haven't really used anything else, so I have no frame of reference. Thoughts??

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are some jigs out there that have a small 'hook' up by the bead to keep plastics secure. If I'm using plastics those are the kind I pull out of my tray. I also prefer long shanks for plastic and short shanks for live bait.

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the northland lipstick jigs. A guy should try the pork products jason Mitchell has been promoting and using.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ones with the little wire at the too are the best ones I have used. Normally when a plastic slips down I just throw it away and put a new one on.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
While making jigs, a guy has some time to think about jig related issues and I was wondering if those wire keepers, a single lead barb, or a double lead barb hold plastics better. I have always used a single lead barb, but I haven't really used anything else, so I have no frame of reference. Thoughts??

wire works OK enough

and if I ever have to remove/re-align/change colors I rotate the plastic body 180 degrees first before I pull it off. That way I''m slicing the opposite side that lays along the hook with the wire barb... not the side I want to "keep" - hard to put into words

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the northland lipstick jigs. A guy should try the pork products jason Mitchell has been promoting and using.

If you are referring to the "Uncle Josh" brand, good luck. You can still find them, but they are no longer making the product because the cost of pork, or the cost to make the bait has increased so much. I think they still have some available on their web page and you can still find other websites that carry it, but once they are sold out you won't be able to get the product anymore. Literally just had this conversation last week with one of the managers at scheels as I was looking for the Uncle Josh stuff, and this is what I was told.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are referring to the "Uncle Josh" brand, good luck. You can still find them, but they are no longer making the product because the cost of pork, or the cost to make the bait has increased so much. I think they still have some available on their web page and you can still find other websites that carry it, but once they are sold out you won't be able to get the product anymore. Literally just had this conversation last week with one of the managers at scheels as I was looking for the Uncle Josh stuff, and this is what I was told.

odd...I just saw a TV show yesterday that promoted their stuff - two Uncle Josh reps were using their 3" crawlers for walleye

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
teardrop jig with the wire keeper are about all I use anymore. If you're in to pairing up jig head/plastics colors, a dab of super glue will keep plastics in place very well. Those zoom plastics seem to stick a little better.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I make my own jigs. There are molds that have a wire insert and work great for holding onto plastics. Some molds have a double molded lead collar. They both work well. 1 molded collar doesn't work too well.
I have tweeked some of my molds. I'll take a dremel and bore out a very thin area just below the hook on both sides of the mold. The bored area is about a 1/4in long. I then cut up small chunks of paper clip. I put the paper clip lengths in the mold and after the lead cools, I bend the paper clip towards the jig. This works just as good as the wire inserts. Be sure to bend part of the paper clip that's in the jig, or else it can pull out.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member

Attachments

image.jpg
Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never thought about using paper clips instead. Those stainless steel wire hangers are just as much as a hook. Ridiculous.

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the jigs with the wire keepers, seem to hold better than the poured keepers. I also use super glue especially when using swimbait and not changing colors alot.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also when poring jigs with double molded bait keepers, it's very important to keep the mold piping hot. If the collars don't turn out right, the mold isn't hot enough. My jigs that have weird collars go in my live bait jig box.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My jigs that have funny collars get dipped back in the pot as the lead will almost instantly remelt, and they get redone. Just use a pliers or something like that as that lead is HOT HOT HOT.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a mold for those, whatever they are and what's so special about the Max gap ones?? Is it just a wide gap hook??

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
H20 jig from custom jigs&spins. The last jig you'll ever need, great hooks, wire bait keeper, and the tear drop seems to cut current a bit better. Dirtymike makes a damn good "knock off" with even longer hook shanks which I love.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of time to create a jig with all those bells and whistles. My redneck, country walleyes prefer one color, standard hook, round head, no eyes, sans rattle and spinner jigs. You must be fishing for then "NEW YORK CITY" walleyes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33