Why Men Have More Body Image Issues Than Ever

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://time.com/4622653/men-body-image-muscle-steroids/

How Hollywood ideals are messing with men’s heads, leading real-world guys to take dangerous drugs:

Superheroes today are a lot more shredded than they used to be. The original Superman and Batman look almost willowy compared to our muscle-bursting modern-day versions.

That’s no coincidence. America is in the midst of a cultural shift in terms of the ideal male body image, and as the ideal man grows more muscular, men stuck in the real world with real bodies are growing less satisfied with theirs—with potentially dangerous medical consequences.
“If you think about the changes over the last 30 to 45 years in how men are depicted in Hollywood, cartoons, magazines and action toys, you’ll see that men’s bodies [today] appear much more muscular,” says Dr. Harrison Pope, director of the Biological Psychiatry Laboratory at McLean Hospital in Massachusetts. These unrealistic media images have contributed to low body image satisfaction among men—usually just considered a problem for women. A study last year found that American men are just as likely as women to feel unsatisfied with their physiques, while another study found adolescent boys who are dissatisfied with their body shape may be more likely than girls to self-criticize and feel distress. Studies have even shown that men feel worse about their bodies after playing video games with ripped characters.

“There’s this drumbeat that muscularity equals masculinity, and so we’re seeing more and more young men with muscle dysmorphia,” says Pope. The consequences of this kind of thinking can be dangerous. As more and more men hit the gym in the hopes of transforming themselves into the Rock, many are also turning to anabolic steroids to achieve the muscle mass they associate with masculinity. Up to 4 million Americans—nearly all of them male—have tried steroids at some point, according to Pope’s recent research.
“There’s a widespread misperception that anabolic steroid use is an issue of cheating in sports, but the vast majority of anabolic steroid users in this country are not athletes,” says Shalender Bhasin, a men’s health researcher at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Pope’s co-author on a new article in the Journal of the American Medical Association. “Most young men using these drugs are doing it to improve their appearance.”

The potential side effects of anabolic steroids include premature death and neurobehavioral disturbances, like problems with thinking and attention. But Pope says the links to heart problems are the most worrying. “There’s a growing body of literature that suggests long-term steroid use can cause cardio myopathy, where the heart doesn’t pump or fill with blood efficiently.” That could lead to heart attack or stroke, he says.

It’s not yet clear just how significant these heart risks are, because steroid use is a relatively new phenomenon. Pope says few men used them before the 1980s, and those early adopters are just now hitting their 50s and 60s—ages when heart problems take their toll.

Another big risk of steroid use is hormone dysfunction. “If you’re taking steroids, your body sees all this testosterone coming in from the outside, and so it stops producing it,” Pope explains. Bhasin says that can lead to psychiatric problems, from “roid rage” to suicidal thoughts.

Also, when men stop using steroids, their bodies’ testosterone production often struggles to ramp back up. The resulting lack of the sex hormone can lead to depression, irritability, erectile dysfunction, low sex drive and more, Pope explains.
[FONT=&quot]
Few doctors or psychologists realize how common steroid use and abuse has become, say Pope and Bhasin, and almost none are trained to treat steroid addiction or dependence. Men taking steroids who want to quit therefore have few professional resources, which may lead many to go back on steroids or try other substances—like cocaine or opioids—in order to feel better, Bhasin says.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“Until we see greater awareness of this problem and more attention paid to treating it,” Pope says, “most of these men are on their own.”[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

I read this article which to me has no solution to a problem that really is not as common as they would like to make it sound especially with most tax paying men who work 40+ hrs 52 weeks a year. What do you some of you guys see or can relate to in your daily lives?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thought is if anything I think the last few generations males tends towards more girly men. Most of them have grown up perched in front of a computer screen playing a video game. They weren't out causing ruckus around town on their bikes, playing sports etc. Stuff that builds endurance and strength in young boys and young men. You don't even have a draft anymore that would send young folks into the military to toughen them up physically. Millennial women have been socialized to want meterosexual wimpy men through all sorts of cultural indoctrination.
Every generation seems to be getting lazier and lazier with little to no ambition to work hard for their money, I am not putting everyone in the same category but in seems to be a common occurrence to the video game generations.

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thought is if anything I think the last few generations males tends towards more girly men. Most of them have grown up perched in front of a computer screen playing a video game. They weren't out causing ruckus around town on their bikes, playing sports etc. Stuff that builds endurance and strength in young boys and young men. You don't even have a draft anymore that would send young folks into the military to toughen them up physically. Millennial women have been socialized to want meterosexual wimpy men through all sorts of cultural indoctrination.
Every generation seems to be getting lazier and lazier with little to no ambition to work hard for their money, I am not putting everyone in the same category but in seems to be a common occurrence to the video game generations.

are you explaining your moobs?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;funnypost ah no I am talking about the liberal women's delusional expectations of liberal world.
PS I like all the other tax paying working forty plus hours a week no time to work out at some gym to take HGH, I have to get laid the old fashion way I have to pay for it. Anyone who is in a long term relationship knows, you cant just show it to her anymore. You have to say things like "who wants new floors", " who wants a trip to macys" those are just examples of the payment for services rendered.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I know is I am sexy as hell.
fc54bd8f1532f06aef3d295d6fa3863a.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like city-boy problems LOL. I was a college wrestler, but looking at me now you would never guess that. I should give a shut more about being so out of shape, but I've been there done that, it's just been a loooooooonnnnngggg time ago.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm married, what do I need to be in shape for?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a guy who, more often than not, starts threads unrelated to hunting and fishing, even I must ask:Why the hell are we talking about this?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh you mean like talking about racist people yeah I can see how this topic is way off especially since it about being physical shape. Yeah pool turd I see that can be confusing for you

- - - Updated - - -

Or shitting in your pants at the office yeah

- - - Updated - - -

Since we lived so close to Canada where hgh was easier to get back in the 90s with sleep 500 or ghb as well as taking large amounts of creotine and efrdra pills to lift weights. I never took any of these drugs but I knew guys who did spending 2 to 3 hundred dollars a month on supplements to get ripped. This article was a liberal biased piece based on a certain type of male that isn't new phenomenon of ways to cut corners to look good to get a piece of ass.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
As old as I am this is a funny subject. I have noticed liberal women talk about men and they describe what they want. What they want is a gay guy, but he don't want them. I have a novel idea. Take one of your girlfriends shopping and let your poor husband go fishing or hunting. Likewise guys let the little lady go shopping of fishing whichever trips her trigger. I would totally piss off these metrosexual men and women. Do I loose sleep over that? I kind of revel in the idea actually. Wimps.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Appearance means little to me but performance outdoors does. I only have a week to hunt elk and sitting around being sore or tired is not an option. Being a juice head gorilla is also of no help. We definitely have an obesity problem in the US but roids is not the answer.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
When being compared to Brad Pitt or the Michelin Man, I'm leaning a little more toward to the Michelin Man. But so what, chicks dig the dad bod.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84