You guys ever eat road kill?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We bounced a pheasant off the windshield while we were hunting, and we stopped a took it with us.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ate the ass out of a skunk once but those were good times in my college career, I have no regrets

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took out a whole covey of partridge during a blizzard one night. Pard made a crockpot stew with them and we ate like kings two nights later. They landed right in front of me and I somehow just broke all their necks.

I drove through a batch of meadow larks killing a few. Them were tasty little buggers.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny partridge story:

Pard is driving in SW MN one AM about sunrise. He's headed east into the rising sun and at some point hears a "thump" but doesn't think much of it because everything still drives fine and he's running behind. He get's to his destination and is finishing up a phone call when an older gentleman knocks on his window and says, "Hey, are you gonna keep this?" and holds up a partridge that had infused itself into his grill. Pard replies, "Nope, it's all yours" and receives a hearty thank you and the front half of how the codger was gonna cook it that evening.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!! ;:;rofl ;:;boozer:;:sorry

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would submit that most gut shot deer have WAY more ick on the inside than the vast majority of vehicle hit deer and guys wash out the gut shot deer and eat away with nary a second thought. Don't know if this counts as road kill, but I did have a chunk of venison from a deer that was hit by the front landing gear of a KC 135. Tasted just fine to me, so I guess I've eaten runway kill. Don't know why road kill would be any different given similar circumstances.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would submit that most gut shot deer have WAY more ick on the inside than the vast majority of vehicle hit deer and guys wash out the gut shot deer and eat away with nary a second thought. Don't know if this counts as road kill, but I did have a chunk of venison from a deer that was hit by the front landing gear of a KC 135. Tasted just fine to me, so I guess I've eaten runway kill. Don't know why road kill would be any different given similar circumstances.

What road you gonna land a 135 on to prove it though?

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive had two deer.one I hit. it was fine. just one bruised shoulder. The other a friend hit. that one was kinda beat up but made good sausage.I also had a couple partridge bounce off my windshield one day, they tasted fine

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
back in high school I hit a young rooster with my car on my way home. Went inside to change clothes to do chores and came back out and all the cats were fighting over the rooster who had hung up a leg behind my bumper. He was tender and tasty and no shot to dig out.
Last deer I hit I brought home hung it up and skinned it with out gutting it. lost maybe 5 lbs of shoulder meat as he hit his head on the bumper of my truck. Neighbors mom was visiting from washington state and was walking by when I was skinning the deer out and I thought she was going to be sick. LOL If I hit the animal or know who and when etc I am not afraid of it but then I spent over 20 years as a meat inspector for the USDA. There is a small town in SW Kansas that has a yearly feed and they do bbq coon, deer and rabbit, can't tell the coon isn't pork when they get done with it. They have the fish and game dept do a presentation at the feed, the year I went it was on calling coyotes.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would eat road kill if I hit a primed up Hereford steer. I would drag that baby into the ditch and make some quick work of the rear quarters. #freesteaksforayear

My guess is that you'd be getting a tow to the mechanics/body shop rather than cutting off some steaks!

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got an old timer that skins stuff out in his small garage in town here, does all the dogs or cats that I keep for myself so I give him things like badgers, coons and skunks for his efforts. One day I dropped off two skunks in garbage bags and I swear to God that he skinned those in his house and possibly ate them. I came by a week later to get an auger sharpened and I could still smell the skunks and he asks me if I've seen any more because "they are sure getting scarce" I'm pretty sure he ate them. I'll have to ask him this winter, don't want to get too close, the dude must eat a bulb of garlic a day, he's 84 so why not.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was little we would kill rabbits while on the road out the pickup window, does that count as road kill?

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am reading this thread over the last day and thought about it and I have never eaten roadkill that I know of until tonight.

I arrived home from work tonight and as I enter the garage I notice my wife with our 2 boys(2&4) hovering over the sink/ cleaning station. Upon further inspection my wife is cleaning a rooster, and this kids are all kinds of excited. My 4 year old sees me and explains that mommy hit this pheasant with her car and now we are going to eat it. OK I suppose, grabbed him and we walked the trees looking for a couple more for the table with no luck. When we get back in the house there was supper on the stove, fresh pheasant. The boy and I sat down to eat and he absolutely devoured it, and this comes from a kid that we fight with every night to eat his food. It was pretty good, just afraid from now on all he is gonna want to eat is stuff hit by mommy's car.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 19