You guys ever eat road kill?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great post!

Watched a pheasant skip off the windshield of a car in front of us on a fly-fishing trip. Took it back to camp and cooked it over the fire.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would eat road kill if I hit a primed up Hereford steer. I would drag that baby into the ditch and make some quick work of the rear quarters. #freesteaksforayear

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it interesting that people leave deer laying by the road in the middle of the winter that dont appear much damaged. I used to drive to town and back out about 5 miles every day, one day there was a deer laying there in the morning that wasnt there the night before. I called GF and they gave me a tag to take it. I used the back legs to make dried treats for my dog in the dehydrator. Im sure it would have been fine to eat also, but the idea of it is kinda a turnoff. Meat was fine, very cold but not frozen yet. Really not much different than sticking a deer with an arrow at night and retrieving it the next day tho, if theres snow on the ground.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a couple deer that I have hit. I do pick up road killed fox coons and yotes during the winter time.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
4150078483_4c8abb3e1c_z-1.jpg

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it interesting that people leave deer laying by the road in the middle of the winter that dont appear much damaged. I used to drive to town and back out about 5 miles every day, one day there was a deer laying there in the morning that wasnt there the night before. I called GF and they gave me a tag to take it. I used the back legs to make dried treats for my dog in the dehydrator. Im sure it would have been fine to eat also, but the idea of it is kinda a turnoff. Meat was fine, very cold but not frozen yet. Really not much different than sticking a deer with an arrow at night and retrieving it the next day tho, if theres snow on the ground.

There is a huge difference between sticking it with an arrow and hitting it with a car! Regardless of how long it sits. The trauma caused by an automobile may not be visible on the outside, but once you open that thing up you'll be in for a surprise. Not to mention the fact that blunt trauma like that will usually cause internal organs to rupture...including the bladder. A buddy of mine kept one that was hit going 15MPH. Took it home and opened it up only to find the entire cavity filled with shit and piss. Every piece of meat was a solid clot. Not saying this happens in all cases, but I certainly don't need the meat bad enough to justify keeping road kill. A big buck on the other hand would be a different story.

So what happens if you're issued a tag and you have to throw the meat out...wanton waste?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a huge difference between sticking it with an arrow and hitting it with a car! Regardless of how long it sits. The trauma caused by an automobile may not be visible on the outside, but once you open that thing up you'll be in for a surprise. Not to mention the fact that blunt trauma like that will usually cause internal organs to rupture...including the bladder. A buddy of mine kept one that was hit going 15MPH. Took it home and opened it up only to find the entire cavity filled with shit and piss. Every piece of meat was a solid clot. Not saying this happens in all cases, but I certainly don't need the meat bad enough to justify keeping road kill. A big buck on the other hand would be a different story.

So what happens if you're issued a tag and you have to throw the meat out...wanton waste?

Im sure there is a lot of damage on some deer, but a lot of times there isnt also, or its just the front half messed up or whatever. That deer I got had very little noticeable damage, just some blood around the mouth and an obviously broken front leg, I didnt cut the chest cavity open even, just wanted the back legs and they were in very good shape except some bruising on the side it was hit which was easily cut out. My dog didnt complain about the free jerky treats at all...

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bulkheadmaster remember when you ate roadkill with coleslaw? I had one hell of a time loading that SOB by myself.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was stationed in Alaska with a guy named Cecil. He was a redneck from Mississippi, and would eat anything. One day he picked up a roadkill beaver, Cooked it up and brought it to work the next day. I don't think anybody but him ate it;:;barf

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The gut on that deer looked like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag by the time big j showed up with the knife. What a stink.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a wee lad (16 or so) I got my dream/nightmare job working retail for Gander Mountain.

Other than getting a few deals here and there, I retained zero practical skills other than earning a bit more respect for the more schmucks behind the counter, and retail managers all have inferiority complexes.

The one thing I did learn was when we had a local dude come in and put on an event where he butchered a deer. It was a pretty big hit and a lot of folks showed up (he was hawking his video, which was the big push that day). It spurred me into not only deer hunting, but the determination to butcher whatever I shot myself. It's a love affair that lingers to this day.

But I digress: the point of this was that the deer he butchered for all to see was a roadkill doe. Other than the front right quarter (point of impact) he was able to salvage the entire remainder of the venison. Heck, my .30-06 does more damage than that if I aim a bit too far forward on the front shoulder.

Anyway, I've often thought about stopping when I know a kill is fresh and it's during the cooler months. Or, if the opportunity presented itself, taking the meat from a deer I just hit. Hasn't happened yet, but I do know I'll make the attempt when it does. From how fast my family burns through venison, I'll take what I can get!

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

A game warden explained to a group of us in an instructor course that it is only wanton waste if you don't take it to your personal residence. Meaning once you have it at home you can do whatever you want with it, including throwing it in the garbage. He said lots of goose hunters get in trouble when they throw unwanted geese into the hotel dumpster, if they had waited until they got home to throw it away they would have been legal.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
This probably doesn't count as road kill, but about 6 years ago I was sitting in a tree stand in December and I heard a deer get hit by a car (brakes squealing, collision). About an hour later I drove by and saw the plastic pieces on the road where it happened and saw the deer standing off in the woods about 50 yards. It was just kind of standing there like a dazed boxer with its face all swollen and couldn't see out the one side, plus a broken front leg. I felt bad for it and was able to walk within 10 feet of it and put an arrow through her heart. It hopped in a circle on 3 legs and fell over dead. I was able to use all of the meat except the one front shoulder. Definitely the most interesting way I have ended a bow season.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've picked up a pheasant and a ruffed grouse that I hit with my pickup.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took out a whole covey of partridge during a blizzard one night. Pard made a crockpot stew with them and we ate like kings two nights later. They landed right in front of me and I somehow just broke all their necks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 67
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 27