USFWS wants you to kill an owl

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Choose your owl and location wisely, but if you've ever wanted to legally shoot an owl...here's your chance.

US Government Wants Hunters to Shoot 500,000 Owls​

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service wants hunters to shoot more than 500,000 barred owls to help protect other native species.

Barred owls are an invasive species in the Pacific Northwest, originating on the U.S. East Coast, and they pose a huge threat to native protected species, including northern spotted owls.

As part of a draft management plan, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) wants to cull these invasive owls, and hopes to enlist hunters to shoot half a million of them over the next 30 years.

Barred owls have been in the Pacific Northwest since the 1950s, and they now outnumber northern spotted owls across Washington, Oregon and California. They pose such a threat to northern spotted owls as they are more aggressive and have a more varied diet, eating anything from insects and amphibians to fish and other birds. They are also larger and more territorial than the native owls, meaning that they displace the northern spotted owls, disrupting their nesting, competing with them for food, and even attacking them when they come too close.

In areas where barred owls are present in higher numbers, northern spotted owl populations are declining rapidly. They are now listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, with populations having declined by between 35 percent and 80 percent over the last 20 years.

Meanwhile, there are now over 100,000 barred owls in the northern spotted owls' territory across Washington, Oregon and Northern California. They are also slowly moving south and into the territory of California's spotted owls, which are also facing population declines.

"Everywhere the spotted owl can live and thrive, barred owls can thrive and do even better," Katherine Fitzgerald, northern spotted owl recovery lead for the FWS, told the Seattle Times. "They are still invading, and they are not done."

To save northern spotted owls from the barred owl onslaught, the FWS said in a draft environmental impact statement that they plan to initially cull around 20,000 of the owls in the first year, followed by 13,397 birds a year in the first decade, 16,303 a year in the second, and 17,390 birds each year in the third decade. This is due to start possibly as early as 2025.

The plan details that landowners or land managers could apply for a permit to kill the owls, and that a large-bore shotgun would be the choice weapon, to be substituted for capture and euthanasia when people are close.

Not everyone supported the plan, however.

"Are we going to do more harm than good? Do we really want a bunch of people in the woods shooting at what are otherwise protected birds?" Bob Sallinger, executive director of Bird Conservation Oregon, told the Seattle Times. "I nearly always opposed these sorts of programs.

"I do put the highest priority on preventing extinction, and there is science that shows us this is probably necessary. But this is really a no-win, awful situation we created for ourselves. It is appalling we have to consider these kinds of measures, and incredibly sad."

Fullscreen button

USFWS image of a northern spotted owl. John and Karen Hollingsworth/USFWS

USFWS image of a northern spotted owl. John and Karen Hollingsworth/USFWS© John and Karen Hollingsworth/USFWS
Experts are confident that this program will successfully protect the spotted owls, however, as studies have found that killing barred owls stabilized spotted owl populations. The management plan hopes to only eradicate around 30 percent of the total barred owl population, which should be enough to take the pressure off the spotted owls.

"We know we can't fully eradicate them, but we know we can create [refuge] areas with much lower barred owl density that allows spotted owls to survive and thrive," Kessina Lee, state supervisor for the Oregon office of FWS, told the Seattle Times.

"We know we can make a difference. Can it be done? The answer is yes," Lee said.

Do you have a tip on a science story that Newsweek should be covering? Do you have a question about barred owls? Let us know via science@newsweek.com.

Update 12/7/2023 11:03 ET: This article was updated to add an image of a northern spotted owl.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is racist. They have the same rights to the PN riches as Palestinians.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of thoughts:

Shotgun is suitable, but give me a 22/223 and it could get bloody.

Not sure how they are going to make any REAL dent in that terrain of mountainous dark timber.

I expect alot of off target species getting waxed on accident. Most bubba's dont know the difference in ducks let alone similar owl species in dark environments (tree canopy).

But if I lived out there, sign me up.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
So dumb. The barred owl is adaptable and can survive in a variety of forest stands. The spotted is highly specialized and requires very specific conditions that are unfortunately almost nonexistent. Same level of dumb as trying to save rhinos and pandas. They're already functionally extinct, they just don't know it yet.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Totally agree ^^^^, if the federal government would just allow a season on owls and make it legal to posses a predatory mount, hunters could help with population control. The federal government waits until predatory birds like owls become too numerous for a specific environment that will eventually cause over population that effects other species of birds. Another example of federal government overreach when state and local conservationists could be regulating these situations as they see fit.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They explode like a feather pillow when you shoot ‘em so I’ve been told

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
And I'm thinking hunting at night is also going to be the preferred way to hunt these nocturnal predators. Perhaps an air rifle type used instead of a traditional 22 type gun.

Average_NDA_Member

I think the government needs to stay out of this and let nature AKA us red blooded gun owners decide what species get to live or die. Ecology, conservation, and keystone species are just big words educated people use to make me mad.

But also, the government should take care of the problem. Just not the dems.

Covid-19.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88