USFWS wants you to kill an owl

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is fun we have not had a guess the second account for a while. Need more clues

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe a bonus Sasquatch ,DB Cooper's money, or a few tree huggers too.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest question I have is where to buy owl decoys?
I know from crow hunting that a few crow decoys and an E caller with a crow/owl fight brings in the Great horned owl primed for a fight. Wonder if it'll work with these owls.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
One summer during undergrad I worked with a grad student down in New Mexico that was studying spotted owls. He carried around a short length of pvc with end caps and air holes drilled in it. When we got within eyesight of one of the radio-collared owls, he'd pull a white mouse out of the pvc tube, hold it up high to show it to the owl, and toss it into the forest below the bird. The owl would dive bomb that mouse immediately. Based on my limited experience, I think a 20 gauge with 6 shot and a mod choke would be more than enough to bag a limit of hooters

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One summer during undergrad I worked with a grad student down in New Mexico that was studying spotted owls. He carried around a short length of pvc with end caps and air holes drilled in it. When we got within eyesight of one of the radio-collared owls, he'd pull a white mouse out of the pvc tube, hold it up high to show it to the owl, and toss it into the forest below the bird. The owl would dive bomb that mouse immediately. Based on my limited experience, I think a 20 gauge with 6 shot and a mod choke would be more than enough to bag a limit of hooters
Picturing that guy holding the 🐁 made me chuckle for some reason...

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly Carpins story reminds me of ice fishing on Devils Lake in the late 1970s. I didn't have any short ice rods yet and was ice fishing with a full length rod. We were under the power lines that cross the lake and an owl landed above us. I think it was a hawk owl winter pushed down from the north, but not sure. Anyway I wasn't catching anything so I cut the finger off a jersey glove, put a two once sinker inside of it and cast it under the owl. He was after it immediately but couldn't catch it. He would give up when it got close to us. No fish, but I had more fun with the owl than a bucket of perch anyway.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
If you want to not control owls. A good way to not do it is to coyote hunt at night with prey sounds. It brings them in to not shoot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84