• $151 - $250

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • More than $250

Votes: 37 40.7%

• Total voters

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I think many of us start out with low dollar rods, then progress to moderately priced rods, then onto more expensive, then onto straight up spendy! Just out of morbid curiosity, I wonder what the average cost is for the most expensive rod each of us owns is.

How much did your most expensive rod cost when you bought it?

For the record, I will never be too good for a Berkley Lightning Rod.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My custom built rod that I made cost me over 300 to make in class
I do have a couple 20+ year old g Loomis walleye rods that i bought used to only have them break on me trying to get a snag out and stepped on.

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think many of us start out with low dollar rods, then progress to moderately priced rods, then onto more expensive, then onto straight up spendy! Just out of morbid curiosity, I wonder what the average cost is for the most expensive rod each of us owns is.

How much did your most expensive rod cost when you bought it?

For the record, I will never be too good for a Berkley Lightning Rod.
I have a lightning rod that I got probably like 26 or 27 years ago and I still use it today. Love it to this day jigging and pitching

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Broke mine a few times never cared to fix it the last time, didn’t really use it. I got a a few fenwick hmx’s set up with different reels and lines and are my go to rods

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you know what one of the best things i learned from that rod building class was. Checking to make sure the rod you are going to buy is built with the guides on the spine. You can buy a fishing rod and if the guides are not build directly on the spine it's not going to have the sensitivity that it should have. That's how you know if you are getting the best bang for your buck.
It sure didn't help me though because I built my rod with the guides on the opposite side of the spine it wasn't till I actually put a fishing reel on it that I seen my mistake.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know amounts as all bought on sale but
Fenwick - HMG
HMX
St. Croix - Avid Walleye Series
Premier
Triumph
Cabelas - Tourney Trail

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a couple g loomy but they stay in the box most of the time. Right now i am looking a good punchin rod. 7.5 heavy or heavy side of med heavy -- Every one says Dobyns. Anybody?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
G-Loomis IMX. Fast action Jigging.

Purchased it in 1995. It's getting close to the time to hit the tailrace. Has to be 40 degrees or better with low wind. At this weather pace, the spawn may happen first.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
The most expensive rods I own are probably not the ones I paid the most for. I have a Quantum super lite rod that retailed for $200 that I paid $50. Great light and sensitive rod that I put through a ton of abuse.

Also have a loomis bronzeback rod that I don’t use much unless I’m tossing jigs but I got a deal on that one too. I haven’t paid more than $120 on my loomis rods. My old GL2 rods are the most I probably paid for $130 many years ago.

I was going to pick up a Scheels one limited rod this winter for $150 but decided I didn’t have any room in the rod locker. I want a rod with recoil guides bad!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
G-Loomis IMX. Fast action Jigging.

Purchased it in 1995. It's getting close to the time to hit the tailrace. Has to be 40 degrees or better with low wind. At this weather pace, the spawn may happen first.
That old Loomis rod is worth gold compared to the g Loomis blanks they use now.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mine's on the bottom of Jamestown reservoir.
Northern? I sent a rod or two into the depths of the James Reservoir fishing from shore as a kid, too. We actually got one back in our little group casting daredevils after it took a swim.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a pretty fair number of rods, the most expensive I have ever bought are probably a little under $100. Some Scheels rods, etc. Last year I received a rod my cousin built for me. He has quite the setup at his place to assemble his own rods going through all of the tech stuff I don't understand. He has a science to every reel depth, eye placement and style, and rod blank that I simply don't understand. Nonetheless, it's an incredibly well balanced and sensitive rod. Some of his creations have gone for pretty high dollar prices as he donates them to charitable auctions under his company's name of TrinSpin. If you ever see a rod with the NDSU Bison logo on it, there's a good chance he made it. At least, I don't know of any commercial vendors making Bison logoed rods.

At this point it's fair to say that my most expensive and new favorite jiggin rod was...free. Thanks Trin!

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My most expensive (and treasured) rod I have was sold to me when I was 16 years old for 80 bucks in Sioux Narrows Ontario by a guy that stayed at the same campground we stayed at for 23 years in a row. It is a custom made wood handled (Zebra Wood) spinning rod made with a G loomis blank with extra line guides. It is specifically made to perfectly balance at the reel with a 1/8th oz jig tied on the line. I thought it cost a lot at the time, until I found a similar rod made by the same guy at the local bait shop the next year with a sold tag on it for $550. I still have that rod. I don't fish with it as it is now a piece of my past that carries many fond memories of not only the fish I've caught with it, but the man that sold it to a young fisherman those many years ago. It's priceless to me.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to jig and for years it irritated me not being able to feel whats going on down there, not sure if i have a dead hand or what. Tried several scheels rods and others and finally when I got a St. Croix Avid that was the sweet spot for me. I have been curious if a higher end croix would be better yet but for some reason it kills me to go over that $200 mark for a rod.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Couple years ago found a St. Croix jigging rod on sale at the Runnings in Dickinson...like $99. Put a nice Abu Garcia reel on it...favorite rod by far!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62