Your neighbors water

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Water has to go somewhere, and some do not want your excess water on their land. db

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guess who will foot bill to correct any ditches that are allowing drain off to flow into your neighbors field?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am sure these waters have some issues in them and in many places were can it go. No stream. lake or pond nearby. But even then it has to go. The raise in Devils Lake came from what?

Places they have had tile for years like the corn belt. No sure what happens there. db

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy who install tile and puts his unwanted water onto another land owner should have to pay the harmed farmer for lost crop revenue and all attorney fees along with being forced to remove the tile or remedy the problem. In the city one is not allowed to change his property in a way that would have adverse consequences on neighboring property.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure these waters have some issues in them and in many places were can it go. No stream. lake or pond nearby. But even then it has to go. The raise in Devils Lake came from what?

Places they have had tile for years like the corn belt. No sure what happens there. db
Global warming

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I for one have noticed that my water table in the basement has dropped about 6 inches since the farmers around me have put in drain tile. Good for me. LB

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Global warming. No, under ground rivers from that dam at Riverdale after all these years. db

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The worthless pieces of shits on the water boards are suppose to be in charge of whether legit to drain or not. I had to fight with numerous of them from different counties throughout my career and they were all the same. They make "you" do the ground work and then just make their "unknowledgeable decision. 9 times out of 10 they side with their buddy whom maybe affected.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In town or out on the prairie, all of us affect and are affected by our neighbors. In any case, be thankful the issue is excess water... for now.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cleaning or deepening a drainage ditch will most likely remedy many who are impaired by excess water. Example if your neighbor is on the lowest point of natural runoff where he is already prone to excessive water because of a wetland areas, the best option is to ask the county or township to help with improving drainage by cleaning out and deepening existing ditches. This has to be done from time to time because of excessive silt that gets trapped in these ditches over time, unfortunately its all our tax dollars that are used to maintain these natural drainage ditches called coulees. Just like devils lake regional farmers for example back in the 60 70, and 80s where encouraged by the state to deepen and widen existing coulees to help farmers drain natural wetland in thier fields to help in a two ways fill up devils lake - its feeder lakes and help farmers get into their fields faster during wet springs.
There was another thing that was also being constructed during this same period of time that was supposed to work in helping remedy an issue with the runoff that is loaded with chemicals/ high salinity that was garrison diversion was going to connect to the devils lake basin and gradually make its way through the sheyanne River and eventually drain into the red river. But we all know why that didn't happen so now we have a very bad dilemma in devils lake that is going to be a ticking time bomb if we ever go through another dry cycle like we did in the 80s all that runoff full of chemicals is going to make devils lake so toxic from heavy metals that people will be advised that the water safe to get in.
Same as the run off with the use of drain tile, I wonder if anyone has ever tested the water quality coming directly from the discharge pipes at the end of these fields, regardless the solution to the problem is still to clean out existing or getting a special provision to build a new drainage ditch to help this farmer remove excess water from farmers in higher elevation.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am tired of my neighbors wife prancing around the back yard with her top off. No I am actually not, but wanted to contribute about having difficulty with neighbors.
I'm sorry about that. Mom's apparently getting to that "screw what the neighbors think" stage.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The guy who install tile and puts his unwanted water onto another land owner should have to pay the harmed farmer for lost crop revenue and all attorney fees along with being forced to remove the tile or remedy the problem. In the city one is not allowed to change his property in a way that would have adverse consequences on neighboring property.
Guy #1 buys a house with a wet basement cheap because no one else wants it. He throws a pump in a sump hole, runs the discharge hose out the basement window, across the property line, and into his neighbor's basement. Now guy #1 has a dry basement and his house is worth more. The Code of the West = Hurray for me and fuck everybody else.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy #1 buys a house with a wet basement cheap because no one else wants it. He throws a pump in a sump hole, runs the discharge hose out the basement window, across the property line, and into his neighbor's basement. Now guy #1 has a dry basement and his house is worth more. The Code of the West = Hurray for me and fuck everybody else.
in your scenario guy #1 could be held liable for damages to neighbor

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
So a number of years ago we had a heavy multi inch rain storm . My neighbor and I really didn't like each other , I came home for lunch and they had a sump pump running and the hose was running down MY driveway , Being the level headed turn the other cheek guy I am , I took the hose the put it back thru their window so the water was just pumping back into their basement . ran that way for at least an hour until I left back for work. Nobody ever said a word to me and they movjed shortly after

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I had my last house and the town water table was high with a wet spring we were both pumping water, problem is we equally screwed ourselves because neither of us could get the water far enough from each others foundations I guess he could have tried running his line a little different but it was just so wet and now where for the water to go. Wouldn't have been so bad but city had recently fixed the city wide drain tile "AKA the old cracked up sewer lines"

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Devils Lake is a prime example of how you screw over your neighbors by draining all of your land. Private property rights my have trumped?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Devils Lake is a prime example of how you screw over your neighbors by draining all of your land. Private property rights my have trumped?
Unfortunately the devils lake basin project was literally a pipe dream where they put the cart in front of the horses, had the garrison diversion linked up with the basin in its initial proposal we would not have seen, I presume this to be the case since the basin would have a natural outlet via the tolna Coulee. Like I said the army Corp and the state of North Dakota put the cart in front of the horses and we now have a situation that I feel will have more problems in the future when the Cycle of drought returns to the basin like it did in the 80s.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with the Tolna coulee overflow is that the water would be coming from Stump Lake. Nobody in Valley City, Farhole, GF, or ???? wants water that saline as a drinking water source.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84