Zebra Mussels

buzzard01

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you U.S fisherman have got the run around at the Canadian border when bringing your boat up to fish. I was just at Smishek Lake for the afternoon and when returning home to Canada it turned into a 2 hour ordeal of sitting at border and waiting for boat to be washed. Border personal and fish cops are not on the same page as far as inspections and protocol, and when there are differences they blame each other.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
what's it like to bring a boat from Canada to the US to fish

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy of mine from Minot made the trip to northern Sask last week. Cleaned, sterilized and dried out his livewells before he left. The border check was a breeze and got through just fine. Hour from the lake and hit rain and muddy gravel roads. Got to the destination and settling in and conservation officer stopped by. Saw the dirty boat and dug through the boat. Said the livewells weren't clean and called in a recon crew. impounded his boat for a day and he couldn't fish. Absolute load of shit. Stay the hell out of Canada people.

buzzard01

Founding Member
Founding Member
Havnt had a problem going down with the U.S customs. I fish small lakes such as Shortcreek Dam and Northgate Dam and odd time outa Lunds landing. I have been threw 4 seminars that the fish cops here put on at walleye tournaments on what to look for and clean boat which I do. I'm all for the prevention of spread of species but the inconsistency is what pisses me off. Warden told me all boats crossing from North Dakota is a mandatory wash but yet my buddy was at mouse park on weekend with a pontoon in the river and no wash. This past weekend I could count prolly 50-60 U.S. state plates at Estevan end of rafferty, and when asked if he checked and washed all them boats warden replied yes he did..I call bullshit on that one.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
buzzard01, are you fishing for the Bass at Shortcreek and Northgate? as far as the Zebra Mussels, I don't think we can stop them, the birds will transport the eggs from lake, slough, creeks and rivers, just like they do with minnows, leeches, and snails

buzzard01

Founding Member
Founding Member
No Shortcreek has a nice campground we go to for the weekends is nice and close to us it has walleye and pike in. Northgate gate is alittle further but same thing, nice campground fish there for bluegills crappie trout and walleye. I just think anyone coming up to Saskatchewan to fish should be prepared for a hour-2hour or more delay at the border. And yes the birds and moose are transporting more than a boat could.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I trailer to Canada 2-3 times a year. I cross at Pembina, ND and Warroad, MN. I have never been checked for ANS. I have had to show my fish coming into the US. It is usually very quick.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buzz thanks for the complement on our campgrounds

buzzard01

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which one of the campgrounds are you referring to AR-15 or both of them. The 2 wardens here are not quite hosers yet. Both are young,young young. Still no judgement of there own,just by the book.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Shortcreek and Northgate, Have caught lots of Walleye and Bluegill at both of them, A friend of mine told me they said at the Northgate port

they could seal the boat to the trailer and make him take it to Estevan to be Sterilized before he could go fishing, if they felt the boat was to dirty, is the US side doing this to?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Canadians are a bizarre bunch. I sold a boat to a guy from Estevan a number of years ago. Before he could take it up he had to have written statements from boat, trailer and motor mfg verifying all recalls if any, had been taken care of. Then he couldn't bring the trailer into Canada without an inspection by their approved inspectors up there. How the hell do you do that when you can't take it in lol. He discussed this for a long time with them and they finally agreed to give him a 48 hour temp. permit to get it inspected. Then he had to run back to the border and give them the certificate. Absolutely retarded.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33