250 LBS of Week - Not Guilty

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speeding is against the law and within the boundaries of LEOs right to pull me over, Not speeding isn't. I get what you are trying to say and I agree somewhat but only up to the point of what our rights are and what LEOs rights are. Huge difference.

So if you are hauling contraband, don't speed or cross the centerline. If you do, be prepared to pay the price.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean, What poll are you referring to ? I pulled this article up only because I had read it earlier .

http://www.grandforksherald.com/new...-dakotans-overwhelmingly-support-recreational

As for the Judge, I don't condone drug trafficking or any other illegal activity but I will stick up for our legal rights that are within the law hell to high water and glad to see that we have judges that will too. If you are ok with getting profiled and pulled over for no good reason then be my guest but I won't put up with it for a second and I don't think anyone else should either. I have great respect for LEOs but none of them should be above the law. There must be several links to this story with different information because what I read doesn't jive with most of what I read here.
Trick to finding is to click on the news button on google so the results get listed chronologically instead of by number of hits making it easier to find some of the quieter stories. Doing that just now to find this story also brought up a newer article by a day from the pro-pot people in The Herald saying that this poll is highly jaded and can't be possibly be accurate. but the simple fact is their poll was far more jaded because anytime you do a newspaper poll those are crap. Oftentimes the only people that click on those are the people that are truly passionate for it but you can get some seriously jaded results like how many time has there been a post on an outdoor form like this sending people into a news outlet somewhere to click on anti-hunting polls just to swamp it.

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/st...cle_af5bd988-245d-5dc9-adab-48088843ac77.html

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel like a punching bag on this site. Retired guy, Go read post # 15 and # 20 and take it with a grain of salt. If you are willing to give up your 4th amendment rights or any of your amendment rights for that matter, I'm ok with that, Be my guest.
Just don't try to give up mine and drag me into your mission or you will get resistance.

- - - Updated - - -

My opinion on this matter has nothing to do with week.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Second, I'm so pissed at the legislature for screwing the pooch on the medicinal bill that I say screw it, just make it legal then. And I think most people feel that way about the legislature and many of those that will be voting yes will be doing it because of that. We have had enough of politicians screwing shit up.

I am a second person who is VEHEMENTLY anti-MJ and yet will likely vote for legalization because I too believe the legislature gave the voters the finger on medical MJ (which I'm actually fine with).

When legislators refuse to implement the will of the voters then I believe they need a good stiff boot to their rear to put them back into their place.

Reverse the voting pool. If ND residents put an initiated measure on the ballot to allow for the production and sale of suppressors and then passed it into law and the legislators refused to implement, there would and should be hell to pay.

Our constitutional republic demands that legislators implement the will of their constituents. If they don't, we become a simple mob-rule democracy via initiated measures.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Difficult to be a policeman these days where you can't stop someone just because the vehicle and passengers looked guilty of something.

Haha, Holey shit. Can you imagine how many times you , Me or all of us would have been pulled over every time a suspicious LEO saw us driving down the road and "thought" we looked guilty ? WTF are you thinking ? Even if you are totally innocent you should stand up for our rights before we lose them all completely. That's all I have to say about that.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW I have a perfect record and nothing to hide but I'm not about to give LEOs a reason to pull me over because they "think" I'm guilty of something. Sorry , Just standing up for my rights.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are driving down the road at 1 or 2 AM and doing nothing wrong are you comfortable with LEOs to pull you over over because they "think" you might have been at the bar ?

- - - Updated - - -

I’m to drunk to taste this chicken

Chime in with an honest opinion when you sober up . :;:cheers

- - - Updated - - -

So you get pulled over for speeding and they find a dead body in your backseat. Oh well, pay your $10 speeding fine and be on your way. We will take care of the corpse. Have a nice day and be on your way.

Stupid in more ways than one .

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see the biggest hang up to this bill unless it's not a set in stone thing being the unlimited grow amount and the unlimited possession amount. If that in fact is how it would go into law talk about a bad person magnet. I can just see it now... no officer this 3000 pounds of pot in my garage is for my own personal use I like to smoke it by the bale don't cha know.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I was surprised, too. But I know the involved judge and he is, in my non legal opinion, a very fair, follow the law pretty darned tough judge. I doubt he was happy ruling as he did, but looking at a lot of of his other judgements, I suspect that there was more legal stuff to this case than meets the eye. Newspapers can’t publish all the details that come out with Thorough questioning and consideration of details, legal stuff having to do with all of our rights done by a judge.
Id let the legal system run its course. Like anything in life it might not be perfect, but it works pretty well, way better than most places on our blue planet. We get swayed by the continual “ activist judge” Thing whenever a case doesn’t go the way we might feel it should, and though that might be the case sometimes, IMO most of the “ activist judge” stuff is REAL false news.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lot of valid arguments on this thread. I just feel for the LEOs that put in a good day's work and then something this glaring gets thrown out. And no doubt, the judge had a good reason to do so. I also just read where a LEO in Cass County just resigned after two of his cases were thrown out of court. Its got to be a real challenging job with the laws such as they are.

- - - Updated - - -

So for the very first time I lost 5 reputation points due to this thread. WTH are these points good for anyway? That is the question.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Lot of valid arguments on this thread. I just feel for the LEOs that put in a good day's work and then something this glaring gets thrown out. And no doubt, the judge had a good reason to do so. I also just read where a LEO in Cass County just resigned after two of his cases were thrown out of court. Its got to be a real challenging job with the laws such as they are.

- - - Updated - - -

So for the very first time I lost 5 reputation points due to this thread. WTH are these points good for anyway? That is the question.
i understand and share the feeling, and have lots of support and sympathy for the LEO’s, but the news can’t always get details about what sometimes is “the rest of the story.” Id love to know the details of the LEO who resigned simply because he had so many cases tossed out!? May not be so simple.....
Obviously these two guys in this story were drug runners, deliberately and knowingly breaking the law for,their,own gain! (Like the millions of employers who hire illegals) Everyone knows that, but these tight legal procedures are put in to protect everybody, and though I hate the technicalities.
like you do, they are there to protect all our rights.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
On this issue, I agree with Davey. If LE pulls me over, they better have something better than "You look suspicious." Anybody that thinks this would be OK, should also be just fine with trashing the 4th Amendment of the Constitution where it says we have a RIGHT against unreasonable search and seizure and spit in the face of every member of the military who's defended this, and every other CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT. Reading that some people think it would be acceptable to have LE do this type of thing turns my stomach. I'll just leave it at that.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
LE profiling arguing amuses me. If there were a more serious crime committed and stories came out about how cops seen the perp driving but didn't pull them over I would bet these opinions on here would change. There some that would say they weren't doing their job. It's there fault the crime happened. Leo's there damned if the do and damned if they dont.

Here is the simplest thing for the average citizen keep your vehicle in running order, drive within the constraints of the law and if you do happen to encounter LE treat him with respect and like another human being doing his job. Something caught his eye and he wanted to check it out. Most times its nothing but sometimes its "250 lbs of weed".

As far as legalizing pot. Why would you try to make such a bold statement to the legislature and legalize it for everyone. If they dont di there job. Fire them. There is a huge difference between medical pot and recreational. You can regulate recreational and what goes into it. You may be able to by it a store but most will by stuff off streets and who knows what's in that. Medical pot would be the "prurist" form. Anybody who wants it IMO just wants it to get high. And if they never tried it and want to legalize it, its because they can now try it without breaking the law.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as legalizing pot. Why would you try to make such a bold statement to the legislature and legalize it for everyone.

What I'd rather do, is give the legislators the same type and amount of pain, suffering, loss of appetite, etc that just the cancer patients are going through just so they could have an inkling of the consequences of their inaction. But I can't do that.

Public servants of any stripe deciding to forego their mandate and make up their own rules or refusing to act upon those they don't agree with is, IMO, exponentially more dangerous long-term than what MJ will be and here's why:

If the legislature refuses to act and things have to be done via initiated measure then our system as a constitutional republic breaks down. The Red River Valley will run the show completely and the checks and balances on mob-rule anarchy are gone.

- - - Updated - - -

On this issue, I agree with Davey. If LE pulls me over, they better have something better than "You look suspicious."

I'm still kicking myself 16yrs later for not going back or at least calling to speak with the Traill county sheriff when one of his deputies pulled me over @ 2:00 in the AM just because I was pulling a boat. Deputy claimed I hadn't slowed down for the 40 or 45MPH sign quickly enough. #1. Deputy wasn't anywhere near close enough to the sign to know when I'd slowed down (he was in the parking lot of the convenience store). #2. I made a point of being slowed down ~300yds before I reached the sign. I hadn't had a drop of alcohol all day/night.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry Eyexer, but I think our votes will cancel each other. Being former law enforcement, I still oppose legalizing it. I believe it is still gateway drug to much worse and have seen people in tough shape from smoking weed. Weed today is so much more potent compared to years ago people are lacing it with carcinogenic chemicals or compounds not for the human body. But this is on a whole different thread. It is kind of funny how so many NDA members backed LE during the DAPL protest, but now not backing them on them on the opposition of legalizing recreational marijuana. If you back LE.....Back’em on everything!!!

I haven’t Heard the exact details on this case, but very unfortunate to have the case thrown out.

9k=
2Q==

What a piss poor excuse.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
9k=
2Q==

What a piss poor excuse.
No it's just a sad example of how piss-poor people tend to view things at this point! It's the whole I'm always right you're wrong I'm Republican your Democrat I'm white your black I'm rich your poor im Urban your rural. To blindly follow without questioning is too all but guaranteed to be led astray for an unquestioning mind is the mind of a fool! In life one must question everything always to go into something being 100% certain leaves you rife for being blindsided because you didn't prepare for any other option.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just read the briefs and order. I think it was close. But, judge probably got it right. I am sure the ND supreme court will get a chance to weigh in on this one.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you have to worry, My son is a cop. You can bet this guy is a chronic offender of many laws. He is a marked man and his day will come in some way shape or form.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So are those who don't like "profiling" or LEO gut instincts, OK with checkpoints?

Sieg heil!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would debate that profiling is wrong. Most of the terrorists would not be caught if not for some type of profiling. Years ago when it hit the fan was because they were catching to many drug shipments. The Miami to Chicago route was being hit hard by law enforcement. The FIB has positions called profilers. In most cases it has nothing to do with race. So on the know route from Miami to Chicago you see an 18 year old driving a $200K vehicle with Florida plates. The kid has enough gold around his neck to drag down a small horse, he is doing 90 in a 75 zone, so you have probable cause. You pull him over and the mj leaf tattoo covers half his neck. Any suspicions?

Established Member
liberal judges look at Dakota access almost all have now walked,
Something is Effed up with our legal system when you can get off scott free for after attempting to transport 250 pounds of weed across ND!

Weed....not week!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would debate that profiling is wrong. Most of the terrorists would not be caught if not for some type of profiling. Years ago when it hit the fan was because they were catching to many drug shipments. The Miami to Chicago route was being hit hard by law enforcement. The FIB has positions called profilers. In most cases it has nothing to do with race. So on the know route from Miami to Chicago you see an 18 year old driving a $200K vehicle with Florida plates. The kid has enough gold around his neck to drag down a small horse, he is doing 90 in a 75 zone, so you have probable cause. You pull him over and the mj leaf tattoo covers half his neck. Any suspicions?

It’s not a crime to have a vehicle, tattoo and jewelry is it? It is illegal to drive 90 in a 75. Write him a speeding ticket and send him on his way.

- - - Updated - - -

If there was a dead body or 10 lbs of weed in the backseat, then there’s something else to talk about. I don’t understand what’s so hard about this.

Plains, create a scenario where a LEO could draw a conclusion to wrongfully search you. I don’t care who you are, I can cook up a crazy reason to profile you and wrongfully search your personal property violating your rights.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33