Best overall rod for ice fishing in nd non specific

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
What rod or combo would you throw in your house so that other people fishing with you could pick up and use for perch walleye and an a accidental. Pike.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Broom handle with nail in one end for jabbing in ice,couple of tack nails on sides for wrapping up the string, kinda hard for a visitor to wreck this one

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thorne brothers was the king for many moon there are other custom rod makers who are just as good but may be a little bit cheaper.
Maybe members like tika243, auggie,rizzo,or one of the other custom rod makers this site.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think I’d be spending “Thorne bros money” for other people in your house. I’d pick up some decent medium action scheels or frabill combos. Or just use this as an excuse to buy really nice stuff for yourself and have your old stuff for guests.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would use a different approach rather than deciding what brand rod or combo to have for your extra people in the house. I would set your rigs up with different sizes and or colors of lures than you currently are using in hopes of finding the correct size, color for that day. Be it kast masters, buckshots, Swedish pimples, jigging raps, flying rattlin spoon, etc, etc etc..

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a few of the abu combo's in med light, and med action on hand for other people to use (and my boys) tbh they suck and you cannot feel a damn thing on them but they work ok for a bobber rod, I also have a scheels winnipeg rod for bigger jigs (I don't mind using this one myself)

for me I have a tuned up custom rod for every occasion panfish to pike, bullwhip, precision, dead stick, and a commander, i could get the admiral rod too but I don't know when I'll get into a lake trout. I have a couple of buddies that really like the jason mitchell series and clam rods

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels has some real nice combos for a fair price, especially when on sale.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Medium action 28"

If you are getting into any perch of a decent size a medium will work great on perch and walleyes. I like a solid backbone to get a good hook set.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
28" medium would be my choice also,really like 13 fishing's wicked ice or if a tape on Jason Mitchell's 28"med walleye,both make good all round rods for everything except the lightest biting perch.
If I were going for northerns specifically a good old ugly stik,all the feel of a broom handle but your not gonna break it!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33