Boat Performance Questions

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can pay someone to fix it for you. You can send it in to the factory and hope they agree with you and replace the entire hull bottom or you can sell the boat.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
the odds of a hook in the hull are extremely low. we need to know what prop your running besides just pitch. also what hole your motor is mounted in. There is no way in hell you can turn a 21 prop with that motor on that boat. A 17 is probably pretty close. But what model prop makes a huge difference. There is also no way that boat shouldn't run low 40's. Also, is this GPS speed your quoting or speedometer on the dash speed?

fenwick4life

Founding Member
Founding Member
Running a Michigan wheel aluminum prop 17 right now. It does have a stabilizer fin on the back I have thought about removing. Would that create drag? Good news no water soaked foam. I didn't see any hook in the hull either. Regardless, I'll be checking the cavitation plate and spray tomorrow when we go out. Boat motor is second from the top on the transom.

- - - Updated - - -

Running a Michigan wheel aluminum prop 17 right now. It does have a stabilizer fin on the back I have thought about removing. Would that create drag? Good news no water soaked foam. I didn't see any hook in the hull either. Regardless, I'll be checking the cavitation plate and spray tomorrow when we go out. Boat motor is second from the top on the transom.
imagejpeg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
hydrofoils are a major speed drag on boats. And if that motor is mounted too low it compounds the drag significantly. Aluminum props are poor speed performers too. Get someone else in the boat with you and get the boat running wide open and trimmed out so the motor is vertical to the water. Have your partner drive the boat and you go back and look at the cavitation plate. It should be easily seen and be out of the water about 3/4". If not you need to raise it. If you can't see it, it'll be hard to determine how much you need to raise it. A stainless prop will do you wonders. And I'd bet you will no longer need the hydrofoil with a stainless prop.

fenwick4life

Founding Member
Founding Member
Taking the hydrofoil off made a big difference in my opinion. Gained 3 mph and got out of the water even better. Looks like I will have to raise the motor a notch or two. Couldn't see the cavitation plate at WOT and fully trimmed. The boat is definitely plowing as I have spray up my driver seat. A good 7-8 up from the transom. In other news fishing was slow yesterday. Thanks everyone. Report back on the verdict from raising the motor.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88