buck lure?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most lures are designed and marketed to catch people, If they happen to work for fish or deer it's a bonus.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have used the doe bleat call in the can before and it works. One evening just after shooing hours I was in my truck and leaving the area when I spotted a little basket rack about 100 yards out. I stopped and used the bleat call just out the window of the truck. It just drove that little buck nuts. He came within 50ft ft of the truck and he would stomp and dig at the ground and was just having a fit. He really wanted to come and have at that doe that looked like a pickup but better judgement won out. I finely left and laughed about it all the way home.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guy- I've used just about every doe/buck lure out there. For mock scrapes in a scrape dripper, I prefer a synthetic, doesn't break down as quickly as the real stuff when its in a dripper for a couple weeks.

For doe estrous/pee lures, I seem to get the Golden Estrous more often than not. Maybe because it is the most readily available (Scheels in minot doesn't have a good variety). My dad and I have also had decent luck with, don't laugh, the Tinks Smokin Sticks! They are sometimes hard to find, and need a bucket or something to contain the scent a little bit when its windy, but I think we have had more bucks come in to the smokin sticks than any other scent.

One thing I'd like to try more is keeping the estrous/pee scent warm. I think the scent carries farther when its warm and presents as "fresher". Not scientific by any means but IMO.

Scents are just like calling/decoying. When they work its awesome and you feel like the hero. When they don't work, oh well. When they just straight up spook deer, it really sucks. The deer have to be in the right mood, just doesn't work if they aren't.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've successfully implemented scents twice. The first was when I first started hunting in Fergus Falls at the farm. My grandpa got this spray from a local guy called "Tanks" and he sprayed it all over near where I was sitting. Myself being young and bored, only hunted a couple hours before cold got the best of me. When we came back, right where I was sitting on the ground were fresh deer tracks.

The other time was a couple years ago. I was bow hunting in a classic funnel spot. The wind was wrong for how I wanted to sit (out of the west) so I walked through the spot and hung a stick dipped in scent at the spot I usually camp out at. I then walked further down, across the trail, and sat facing the opposite direction.

A buck came in and started working a scrape to my left. He then moseyed down the trail, roughly 10 yards from me (I was on the ground in blaze orange plain as day sitting on a stool, trying not to breath) and stopped. His head snapped to the left as soon as he came downwind of that stick. Broadside. 10 yards. Attention 100 percent not on me.

Drew. Held. Shot. And promptly pulled it behind my point of aim. Wound up tracking that deer for hours and never did find it even though the arrow passed through and had blood. I'm pretty sure I hit liver and that deer died somewhere, but I certainly don't know where.

Still bums me out to this day. I took the rest of that year and the next year off bow hunting until I finally got the stomach to try again. And I haven't connected on a deer since! Bad karma, maybe??

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
As has been said before If they can smell the scent they r downwind.

Mock scrapes or freshening up scrapes is a different story. It doesn’t directly attract the deer but keeps em coming back day after day.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a good buck decoy and let the fun begin!
Some of my most memorable hunts have come from sitting by my decoy!

mind sharing what decoy you have? And don’t say a $700 Dave Smith one! I am pondering a boss buck, as much as I hate to give dicks business they have em for under $100 right now

grunted in a great buck for my wife two nights ago, unfortunately she made a poor shot on what was about as perfect scenario as you can get ;:;barf

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
As has been said before If they can smell the scent they r downwind.

Mock scrapes or freshening up scrapes is a different story. It doesn’t directly attract the deer but keeps em coming back day after day.

Please send me your secret scent.... I'll buy it by the gallons;:;popcorn

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
mind sharing what decoy you have? And don’t say a $700 Dave Smith one! I am pondering a boss buck, as much as I hate to give dicks business they have em for under $100 right now

grunted in a great buck for my wife two nights ago, unfortunately she made a poor shot on what was about as perfect scenario as you can get ;:;barf
I've got a boss buck decoy but I've only used it twice. Damn thing is heavy and noisy to get in place.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think it’s been said yet but make sure u r careful where u place a decoy during rifle season.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The scent and wind thing can be tough. Have to position the scent on the upwind side of the direction you think the deer will come in on.

Really not a "long range" attractant. If you want to bring in deer from across a field, decoy or rattling is the way to go. The scent seems more of putting the deer where you want them for a shot or makes the difference between a 60 yard shot and a 40 yard shot.

The more I think about it, the more I think the scent needs to be hot/warm for it to carry farther. I think I'm going to try to rig up some kind of little tupperware container with handwarmers to warm the scent. Maybe thats why the smokin sticks have worked well for us haha.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used many scents over the years with limited success. As has been indicated before, the best instances have been on a drag. From what I have found one needs to start the drag in a place that isn't "random". Getting out of the truck and starting your drag is a bad thing as depending on how the deer comes to the trail they may back track to your vehicle. The other thing is to walk past your stand not go directly to it. Ideally you walk about 20 yards upwind past your stand, pull the drag off and hang it in a tree. Most instructions have indicated 6ft, but I have found 3-4 ft is about right since I don't recall a does ass being 6ft in the air. The other issue is doing the drag in the morning. I can't count how many times I have done the drag in the morning and before shooting hrs here something follow up the trail right to where the drag was hung only to walk off before shooting light.

The last scents I have used (and still use) are Smokeys. I have been using their Pre-Orbital Gland lure on a tree limb I have stuck in the ground and drip it on the main trunk. Have used it on a rub/scrape line with great success. This year I have picked up their doe in heat scent and will be finding out how that works this weekend.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the years I have tried many scents. Only once can I say for a fact that it worked. I had a young buck pick up my tail nearly at the vehicle 1/4 mile away and trail me all the way to my stand. Then lick the lowest step and walk away. Also I have scared more bucks rattling than I have called in. I have seen them at 200 yards and when I rattled they took off the other direction. In the end it's all about playing the wind, staying off the trails, and don't skyline yourself.

Maybe 20 years ago I read an article about a guy in Montana who used radio control airplane modules to open scent bottles remotely while watching deer in an alfalfa field on his ranch. On cold winter days they still picked up on it from 1/4 mile. I guess I was impressed with how far they smelled it, but can't for some reason remember if the reaction was favorable or not. Both deer and elk picked up on the scent a long ways off.

Last edited:

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just for the sake of it, yesterday I took a branch the had blown down, dug a hole and stuck it in there.
27932.jpeg

I put the Smokeys pre-orbital on the base at about 4ft and walked away. This was thus morning
28079.jpg
28031.jpeg

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've heard of guys doing that. Putting a big branch in an open field. Deer seem to key in on it and will check it out at the least. Cool pics!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just for the sake of it, yesterday I took a branch the had blown down, dug a hole and stuck it in there.
68947159_2657807150896226_8893656502871523328_n.jpg

I put the Smokeys pre-orbital on the base at about 4ft and walked away. This was thus morning
67310461_10214841779747080_1770664185479299072_n.jpg
4C6CF897-69F9-4DB3-9ADB-48C609169F32.jpeg

Impressive. Could be a great way to bring a buck right in front of your blind. Treebait.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19