Deer Baiting Ban

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got up this morning and did some internet research on other CWD states. I started with Wyoming, who implemented a statewide total bait ban in 2001 for big game to control the spread of CWD in that state. Since 2001, CWD has spread appoximately 2.1 million acres per year. THIS IS WITH A STATEWIDE BAIT BAN FOLKS!!!!! The bait ban has FAILED miserably to stop the spread of CWD in Wyoming and is continuing to do so. What makes the ND Game and Fish think that a statewide bait ban in ND will MAGICALLY work here?? It's ALL politics guys. Contact your governor and let him know how you feel.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If baiting is banned you will definitely see a big drop in bow hunter success. Not sure if I even know a whitetail bow hunter that does not bait. Anyways it is funny to me that the G&F don't waste anytime considering this but drag there feet on the ANS issues.

Well then, let me introduce myself. I am a bowhunter and I do not bait. Pleased to meet you.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If baiting is banned you will definitely see a big drop in bow hunter success. Not sure if I even know a whitetail bow hunter that does not bait. Anyways it is funny to me that the G&F don't waste anytime considering this but drag there feet on the ANS issues.

3E2 (bait ban county) bowhunter checking in. But you're right. It isn't easy.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
They should also ban hunting over any and all food or water sources. Including but not limited to ag fields, hayfields, grain and hay storage facilities, grasslands and woodlands. There that should help the deer population rebound since you wouldn't be allowed to hunt anywhere in the state.;)

They should also ban boats, jet skis, pontoons, and all other water toys as well as worms, leeches and minnows for fishing since ANS is such a problem. It's all about protecting the resource after all.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually have no problem with this. My angle is a little different though. I hunt private land next to some more private land. I put out a 5 gallon bucket of corn at a time in hopes of getting at least some pictures. The guy on the adjacent public land dumps literally a hopper of grain at a time. I'm not saying anything negative concerning his baiting practice, completely legal. My problem is that it's so tough to compete with that. He's bringing in every deer within 3 square mies, and I'm not just saying that. He baits right next to our land and I've seen the masses of deer. The fact that he also has a flood light and a cross bow sitting right by the back door of his house is beside the point, but there is that as an added perk as well. He's knowingly poached 3 deer from under my nose the last 10 years, 2 of which went 160+. Anyway, sorry about the rant, but I guess I'm just looking at it a little different. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with baiting at all, I'm just saying that this might make things a little easier for some people, myself included.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone explain to me how baiting is harming the deer populations anywhere in the state using facts, data, and science while simultaneously excluding emotion, politics, conjecture, or judgmental positions? Anyone?? Until someone can produce scientific data showing that baiting is a detriment to the deer population, it's nothing but political grandstanding by agenda minded individuals and completely devoid of any merit whatsoever.

There are dozens of peer reviewed research projects that have looked at the effects of concentrating wildlife with bait or supplemental feeding. Here's a very brief summary from a paper out of the Dept. of Animal and Poultry Science & Indigenous Land Management, University of Saskatchewan.

Providing food to wildlife through supplemental feeding or baiting has great potential to negatively impact species health and represents a non-natural arena for disease transmission and preservation. Ultimately, this undermines the initial purpose of feeding practices and represents a serious risk to the maintenance of biodiversity, ecosystem functioning, human health, and livestock production.

If you'd like to see their synthesis of data:

Sorenson, A., F.M. van Beest, and R.K. Brook. 2013. Impacts of wildlife baiting and supplemental feeding on infectious disease transmission risk: A synthesis of knowledge. Preventive Veterinary Medicine

And before anyone jumps down my throat about this, please remember I did not state my opinion on the matter. I just showed that there is scientific research on the subject.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually have no problem with this. My angle is a little different though. I hunt private land next to some more private land. I put out a 5 gallon bucket of corn at a time in hopes of getting at least some pictures. The guy on the adjacent public land dumps literally a hopper of grain at a time. I'm not saying anything negative concerning his baiting practice, completely legal. My problem is that it's so tough to compete with that. He's bringing in every deer within 3 square mies, and I'm not just saying that. He baits right next to our land and I've seen the masses of deer. The fact that he also has a flood light and a cross bow sitting right by the back door of his house is beside the point, but there is that as an added perk as well. He's knowingly poached 3 deer from under my nose the last 10 years, 2 of which went 160+. Anyway, sorry about the rant, but I guess I'm just looking at it a little different. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with baiting at all, I'm just saying that this might make things a little easier for some people, myself included.
Not sure a baiting ban is going to stop what your describing. Sounds like that guy is a poacher not a hunter. What kind of public land is he baiting on? I didn't think you could bait on public land now anyway.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have hunted deer over bait, recently in fact. I do feel it cheapens a hunt a bit as far as the experience goes. But that's for the individual hunter to decide. I'm not about to ask the G&F to rob people of opportunity to shoot a deer when the vast majority of the land in North Dakota is not conducive to up close and personal (archery range) deer encounters. If you are lucky enough to have access to land where deer hunting does not need bait to be effective, consider yourself privileged but don't take opportunity away from other folks to suit your own morality.

Founding Member
Founding Member
These bans are a G&F feel good joke.
Biggest concentrations of deer any of us see here in ND are in fields and unharvested food/bait plots where a couple hundred will congregate during the winter. Never leaving It basically licking each other's asses.

Here are some facts about it.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

Did you report him to the G&F ?

I live next to the same type of guy you are talking about with the excessive bait piles. To compete you need to offer the deer something they are not getting at your neighbors.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure a baiting ban is going to stop what your describing. Sounds like that guy is a poacher not a hunter. What kind of public land is he baiting on? I didn't think you could bait on public land now anyway.
It's not public, it's his private land. That's why I say I can't say too much negative, because who am I to say what someone can or cannot do with their own land. All i'm saying is that this may level the field a bit.

Jake G

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many bucks will be saved with a baiting ban in place. Unless of coarse they all die of cwd.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im ok with banning large bait piles, but if I wanna toss an apple or two on the ground below my deer stand, no reason I shouldnt be able to. There is a difference between bait and TRUCKLOADS of feed...

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you report him to the G&F ?

I live next to the same type of guy you are talking about with the excessive bait piles. To compete you need to offer the deer something they are not getting at your neighbors.
He was reported, and he is a known poacher in the area. Problem is that unless he's being caught in the act, there's not a whole lot a warden can do. We were told to "be vigilant" and if anything was observed to call them immediately. And we have used apples in early season, which does work some, but its hard to beat a corn pile late season when the natural forage has all but dried up.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I ever change my last name it’s going to be van Beest. (researcher name in carps post)

that name kills

- - - Updated - - -

also, do deer like meth? (asking for a friend)

Last edited:

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are we still arguing against baiting because of CWD or because some feel it is unethical?

They are deer and managed to be harvested. Let's not forget that. They are not managed for everyone to shoot a wall hanger. They are not managed for 100% success harvesting.

If they can prove that because of baiting or largely due to baiting that the ND deer herd is at great risk then i dont see a reason for banning it. If they can then i'll pull my feeders right away.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I ever change my last name it’s going to be van Beest. (researcher name in carps post)

that name kills

- - - Updated - - -

also, do deer like meth? (asking for a friend)

Whitetails are already jumpy enough imagine one strung out on meth for about a week

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 261
  • This month: 223
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76