Deer Baiting Ban

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago, like when mad cow disease first hit Europe, I read a really interesting article in either Time or Newsweek on a theory of where it originated. The article laid out a theory that I thought as fascinating as it was yucky.

In England, they were commonly using bone meal to supplement cattle feeds, however since this was such a popular idea at the time, the price of bones went up high enough to where they needed to start importing bones/bone meal. India was the country that stepped up to the plate with a supply of bones. Rewind a little here and remember that in India there are religions (especially Hinduism) that hold cows in high esteem. So when your favorite bovine passes, they would place the animal in the river as their religion suggests. This created large deposits of bones in the river systems of India. Some capitalist decided that they could basically mine/dredge these bones out of the rivers and sell them to English feed makers.

The yucky part is that Hinduism also allows some humans to also be treated to a river burial. I guess even though India banned river burials at some point, there were still documented occurrences of human bones making it into the bone meal supply chain. And just by chance, one of the areas in India where they were harvesting these bones is a known hotspot for human cases of TSE. So the whole articles point was that we have just witnessed the infecting of our own food supply with TSE causing prions that originally came from the human bones of a TSE infected person in India that crossed over to bovines.

Allen, that has to be one of the craziest things I have ever read on this subject. Wow just wow.

I wonder what the chances are that captive deer in Wyoming back in the 60s were being fed food supplements that contained bone meal?

There were two government facilities in Wyoming and two in Colorado. They were doing nutritional studies on mule deer. They died. So they limed the pens and brought in more. They began dying so they gave some to zoos and released the rest. At the zoo they housed the mule deer next to their elk. The elk multiplied and the zoo sold some off spring to area cervid ranchers. One those cervid ranchers was a veterinarian. He thought he was treating pneumonia.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eye,

didn't you used to raise mink, fox or something? Did you buy feed? It would be interesting today to source where the protein parts came from back when. Bone meal used to be used a lot before Mad Cow.

So they diverted much bone meal to be used as fertilizer. Now they are finding protein prions (TSE) or Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy can be taken up by plants.
yes I raised mink. Had 8000. We would buy our food products from a company that provided frozen goods. They would come in 50lb boxes. We would buy beef slunk, beef liver, eggs (looked just like scrambled eggs), Beef entrails, etc. We would grind this meat and it would conveyor into a 2000lb butter churn. We would add a dry cereal and water and mix it up. It looked like baby shit when it was done. Didn't smell much better lol. We then fed them via a gas driven hopper card we would drive down the rows. Had a hose coming off the bottom of the cart and a switch on the steering wheel that you push to discharge the food. The grinder we had was incredible. Three phase. The opening in the grinder was about two foot square. It would literally take a fifty pound block of frozen meat and grind that shit up and spit it out without effort.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes I raised mink. Had 8000. We would buy our food products from a company that provided frozen goods. They would come in 50lb boxes. We would buy beef slunk, beef liver, eggs (looked just like scrambled eggs), Beef entrails, etc. We would grind this meat and it would conveyor into a 2000lb butter churn. We would add a dry cereal and water and mix it up. It looked like baby shit when it was done. Didn't smell much better lol. We then fed them via a gas driven hopper card we would drive down the rows. Had a hose coming off the bottom of the cart and a switch on the steering wheel that you push to discharge the food. The grinder we had was incredible. Three phase. The opening in the grinder was about two foot square. It would literally take a fifty pound block of frozen meat and grind that shit up and spit it out without effort.

This may well be the coolest post I've ever read on this site. All of it. Wow

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I worked on that ranch in high school. They had 16,000 then. We only had half that the ranch would hold. That's 16,000 individual cages lol. It took hours everyday just to feed em. Couple hours to grind the feed and clean up. We had an 80 ton walk in freezer. And a cooler big enough to run two feed carts in. The two old guys that ran the ranch had some pretty amazing stories over the years. There was a rail road track that ran about a block from the ranch. Back in the 70's they still hauled cattle via rail. They had a derailment right close to the ranch. Cattle loose all over, most if not all had broken limbs. Sheriff just walked around and shot the crippled ones. The old guys ended up making a deal with the railroad to get the cattle for free as long as they cleaned it all up and there was nothing left for them to clean up. And they had to guarantee the railroad they would not consume themselves or sell any. The ranch had about a half dozen employees then. So they want to work skinning and butchering cattle. Called in all their buddies and whoever they could get to come. There were about a 100 cows so it was a ton of work. One of the old guys said they would cut off a hind quarter and drop it in the grinder bones and all and it wouldn't even draw down. Just spit the damn thing out in to a box lol. They had that freezer plumb ass full. Of course the neighbors were pissed as hell they couldn't have any to eat. So they started telling the railroad that the ranch was consuming the beef. So someone from the railroad came to check it out. The old guy showed him his personal freezer and found nothing but store bought. Then he took him to the walk in freezer and had him run his hand across the freshly ground meat. He said that's all I need to see. You could feel the boon shavings in it. He knew it couldn't be eaten then. About the time I took over the ranch 99% of the mink growers had switched to pelleted feed. The old boys wouldn't let me do it because they claimed it wouldn't raise as nice of fur. The grader from Hudson Bay company that came every year to grade before pelting assured me they knew what they were talking about lol

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
all of it

Our town had a nearby mink farm too. They had trucks that picked up down, sick, and disabled animals (mostly cows) and then ground it all up for feeding their mink. Even the hooves, guywhofishes.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
everything. And when we were done skinning we usually had thirty fifty gallon drums full of mink carcasses. Call the rendering plant and they come get it and make dog food out of it. Usually got around $800 for em.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what's even more crazy is when I worked for the old boys we skinned 1350 mink one day. Usual day was 1200.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
everything. And when we were done skinning we usually had thirty fifty gallon drums full of mink carcasses. Call the rendering plant and they come get it and make dog food out of it. Usually got around $800 for em.

First, a stinky slurry is made from decomposing cow guts then fed to mink. Fat skinned out decomposing mink carcasses are made into dog food. Guywhofishes buys that dog food for his poodle Royce. When Royce is done eating, Guy let's Royce lick his whole face. Yuck

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soylent Green coming soon to a supermarket near you.

I have often wondered if Hillary,Oprah, Michelle etc don't already have mad cow disease.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soylent Green coming soon to a supermarket near you.

I have often wondered if Hillary,Oprah, Michelle etc don't already have mad cow disease.
they had it. The disease figured out how disgusting they are and packed their shit up and left

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
First, a stinky slurry is made from decomposing cow guts then fed to mink. Fat skinned out decomposing mink carcasses are made into dog food. Guywhofishes buys that dog food for his poodle Royce. When Royce is done eating, Guy let's Royce lick his whole face. Yuck

Royce has never licked a face. Not his thing. Can’t explain it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I ran into one of my local legislators last night. Had a good visit about several different issues. I don’t recall how but we touched onto the cwd issue. He said there has been some talk by a couple legislators about banning baiting. About that time we got interrupted so didn’t get to discuss any further.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 261
  • This month: 223
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76