Deer tag system changes

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. However, I think too many people believe CRP is the answer to all things habitat. CRP will help improve fawn survival in the spring/summer/fall but will do absolutely nothing to help those same fawns through a year like last. Single tree rows may be great for soil conservation but they are buffet lines for predators. It takes large blocks of thermal cover to carry deer through a winter like last year. The deer population will ebb and flow as it has always done.

I agree with what you are saying. Its takes a mix of habitat to provide the right cover for fawning, browsing, and thermal cover to SUSTAIN a population. Without all of them in balance you are on borrowed time. When we had peak CRP we had peak deer #'s because that CRP allowed for more fawn and deer habitat in the spring and summer months.

The lost CRP will help a population rebound, and coupled with mild winters (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) where deer can winter in Cattails/CRP and browse and scavenge grain from AG fields the population will keep rising. However we had 47% less CRP those later years then we did in 2006 and years priors. So we cant expect the numbers of deer to climb like they did back then.

But one nasty winter and the population will be reduced to the holding capacity of the winter/thermal cover we have and how much cattle feed they can get at.

Uncle Rico

This sums up the topic. It is the elite few that are complaining year after year after year about not drawing their rifle tag for the unit they want. They seem to think the system needs to be changed entirely JUST to tip the hand in their favor. It's a joke. Get over it, you do not get everything you want.

Now because they didn't get what they wanted, lets take away the archery tags and take away the tags from the landowners. All so we can appease the minority of people complaining that they system is broke. But those same people are putting in for the units that take 5+ years to draw... Good grief

Are you sure some of you didn't vote for Hilda-beast? Didn't realize liberals enjoyed hunting that much...

To me, this is it. It's sad how self-centered our world has become. Probably 98% of the complaining comments on any of these threads can be tracked directly back to

1)what would serve the complainer the best
and/or
2)what can ensure nobody else has anything the complainer doesn't

I didn't get a tag. I'm completely fine with it. It wasn't my turn. I will spend those days with my bow in hand. Big deal.

I think NDG&F does a pretty good job considering the circumstances. I can tell you as someone who spent a fair amount of time in the rural portions of the east central part of the state during the run of bad winters, that I don't know how ANY animals lived through it. Mother nature is undefeated, its a fact.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly.

Take me for instance, I decided I wanted to try for a mule deer buck once in my life so I started applying in 2011 knowing that my odds were slim to none I would have purchased a point the first 3-5 years at least. I'd rather know that I'm not going to be hunting then drawing unexpectedly one of those years. That would have kept my app out of the drawing for 3-5 years and maybe allowed a guy with 4-5 points to draw a tag those years rather then me. I know I didn't draw anyway for 7 years but I could have been.

I am sorry... but this is a dumbass logic that doesn't make any sense.

God forbid you draw on a year you didn't expect to draw. By this logic, you should never apply because you are never guaranteed a tag, no matter how many points you have. People will bitch about the current system no matter what.

I understand a person wanting to buy a point only if they cannot hunt during that year, but to not apply because you are not sure you will get drawn... really???

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I Drew a tag two years straight. I'm loving this!!!

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
And I will ask again...

How many of you guys that got turned down and are bitching about the system donated your tag fee to the NDGF???
We need the deer population to increase, and that can be done with better habitat (and favorable weather).

New in 2016...
New this year is an option that allows unsuccessful applicants to donate their refund to the Game and Fish Department Private Land Open to Sportsmen or PLOTS program. The donation is not tax deductible.
Proceeds from this donation fund would be focused on deer habitat and hunting access to deer habitat. The North Dakota Legislature created this option in 2015 with nearly unanimous support.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not donating another nickle to the NDGF. If they stopped spending all that money radio collering sheep and mountain lions they would have plenty of cash.

- - - Updated - - -

The deer tag system needs to be left as is. Doe tags should be suspended until the point creep scenario has run its course. They need to up buck tags and eliminate doe tags. It's as Simple as it gets.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

God forbid you draw on a year you didn't expect to draw. By this logic, you should never apply because you are never guaranteed a tag, no matter how many points you have. People will bitch about the current system no matter what.

I understand a person wanting to buy a point only if they cannot hunt during that year, but to not apply because you are not sure you will get drawn... really???

I buy points on tags that i have a low chance at drawing because it makes it easier to plan out the fall. In sodak i wont apply till i have 10 years on the off chance i draw and elk tag as i already have trips planned farther out west. When i get to that point i wont plan till draw results are out for sodak. I have a few different tags i dont apply for on the off chance i would get lucky and draw them and not be able to dedicate the time to them that should be

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Says the transgender who didn't have the balls to sign it.

"For a guy with Trump in his avatar you sure sound like a spineless entitled snowflake. Take your whiny bitching somewhere else"

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
We actually have some good hunting around the state right now so everyone shut your whoreish mouths haha!

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even some at NDGF thought it was a good plan until they caved to the pressure from bow hunters, who with this plan had the best of both worlds.

One deer per hunter plan proposed

545bdbb434cbe.image.jpg

Photo by Craig Bihrle, ND Game and Fish/ About 30,000 people who applied for deer tags this year didn’t get one. The Game and Fish Department is proposing a one license-per-deer hunter system to provide more opportunity.

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department Thursday announced a proposed plan allowing deer hunters only one deer license per year starting in 2015.

Officials say it’s a response to a dwindling deer population and a way to more fairly distribute available licenses.

This year, 48,000 deer gun licenses were issued, the lowest number since 1980. About 30,000 hunters who applied for a license this year did not get one.

Winters take toll

In 2007, nearly 150,000 deer licenses were available. But three consecutive harsh winters took a toll on the state’s deer population and fawn production. That, coupled with a loss of habitat, has led to a steady decline in numbers since that time.

Under the current licensing structure, hunters can legally harvest three deer, if they are lucky enough to draw into tags in the lottery and purchase an archery license.

The proposal would mean hunters would get only one license a year — either gun, archery or muzzleloader.

Last winter, the Game and Fish Department conducted regional meetings around the state looking for input regarding deer management.

The issue was also a hot topic at spring advisory board meetings.

Jeb Williams, wildlife division chief for the department, said the new plan will make for a more equitable system.

“After evaluating all the input we received last winter, the general feedback we heard is that hunters understand there is no longer enough licenses so that everyone can get one for the gun season,” Williams said.

“But at the same time, they don’t feel the current system is equitably distributing licenses, since some hunters can get two or even three licenses when thousands of hunters get none,” he said.

The plan requires approval from the governor and, if implemented, would not guarantee a license for all who apply, Williams said.

But it would eliminate hunters getting multiple licenses.

How it could work

In the preferred option, a hunter who is successful in the deer gun lottery would not be able to purchase a bow license or receive a muzzleloader license.

However, a hunter with a lottery gun license could also hunt with a bow any time during the open archery season, but only for the deer and unit specified on the license.

Resident hunters who apply in the deer gun lottery and do not receive a license, will still be able to purchase a bow license that is valid statewide for any deer.

Another part of the plan is hunters would be able to apply simultaneously for the deer gun and muzzleloader lotteries. The application would allow choice of a preference, so, if the hunter’s name is drawn and both muzzleloader and deer gun licenses are available at that time, the computer would issue the hunter’s preferred license.

In that case, the computer would remove the hunter’s name from the other lottery. Williams said a hunter would maintain the accumulated bonus points for the application that was removed from the lottery.

Williams said hunters will not lose any bonus points if they choose not to apply for a particular license and the department would do away with the current one-year grace period.

That means hunters who do not apply for two or more years would keep their preference points.

If populations rebound in certain hunting units, Williams said concurrent seasons could be offered in those units.

Youth hunters younger than age 16 would be exempt under the preferred option and could get a bow license as well as a deer gun or youth season license.

Gratis license holders could hunt in any open season on their own land, but may only get one license per year.

Williams acknowledged the plan will not satisfy everyone.

“Not everyone is going to agree,” he said. “I expect the reaction to be mixed. Some might say it doesn’t go far enough.”

Reach reporter Brian Gehring at 701-250-8254 or brian.gehring@bismarcktribune.com.

Why complicate it any more than it is already? I was not a bowhunter at all until 2 years ago. I finally came to the realization that if I want to hunt every year in the area that I live in North Dakota that I would have to do something different and now I love it. Everyone has that same opportunity. If too many people decide to do the same thing then that may change so I guess it doesn't hurt my feelings if people just want to bitch instead of taking advantage of one of the best activities that North Dakota outdoors has to offer.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is ND. We don't like change . Take your whoreish deer tag change mentality and zip it.org haha.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why complicate it any more than it is already? I was not a bowhunter at all until 2 years ago. I finally came to the realization that if I want to hunt every year in the area that I live in North Dakota that I would have to do something different and now I love it. Everyone has that same opportunity. If too many people decide to do the same thing then that may change so I guess it doesn't hurt my feelings if people just want to bitch instead of taking advantage of one of the best activities that North Dakota outdoors has to offer.

I started bowhunting ND in 2009. Since then the number of bowhunters has seemed to of gone way up. I would bet this is direct correlation with the population decline and subsequent rifle tag decline.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only hunt muley does with blow darts out the window. Also for those of you who want to take away my bowtags please buy a one way ticket to whore island hahaha.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, keep your SD mouth shut you ND wanna be..

wanna be as in like i wanna be not deer hunting with my rifle ..;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

I only hunt muley does with blow darts out the window. Also for those of you who want to take away my bowtags please buy a one way ticket to whore island hahaha.

the blow darts are partitions still arnt they

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got turned down for Muzzy with 10 points and turned for rifle, but have my bow tag and a Wyoming Pronghorn tag so life is good...

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Maybe to you it's dumb but not to others. I only have so much vacation time a year. I'd rather spend a week in June or July doing some fishing or relaxing rather then save it for November and then not get a fricking tag. Why would being able to buy just a point be a problem for you? Keep applying the same way you are now if that's what you want to do, hell it would up your odds of drawing a tag IMO. Not sure why people wouldn't be for it.

And yes I donate my refunds to the PLOTS program. Hell I consider all my fees donations since I seldom kill an animal anyway! ;)

Jacob Hanson

I like the system, I have been fortunate, and drawn a buck tag 2 years in a row, I would be happy (sort of) to go a year or two to get another one. It all has to do with what is fair, and I think this is the best use of the situation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 222
  • This month: 188
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 65