Dove Shooting

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got out at 5:30 had 75 doves by 7:45 and 2 cases of shells shot . It was non stop fun.
IMG_2269.jpeg

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice, over in my neck of the woods we don't have the numbers like when I was a kid. Then again we don't have the wild hemp either now that we got it killed off and under control. Used to go walk the pasture's with my ole blue heeler and single shot .410 and she used to run into the patches and jump them for me. Other times would just go sit in the corral with the windmill and water tank and pick them off as they circled.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new federal premium 7.5 shot 1500 fps is a game changer for doves and partridge it worked great for grouse also I love the 4 and 5 shot for pheasant this is the first year I've seen 7.5 shot I like

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^What is the payload?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice, over in my neck of the woods we don't have the numbers like when I was a kid. Then again we don't have the wild hemp either now that we got it killed off and under control. Used to go walk the pasture's with my ole blue heeler and single shot .410 and she used to run into the patches and jump them for me. Other times would just go sit in the corral with the windmill and water tank and pick them off as they circled.

Is wild hemp the same plant as what they grow for crops now days? Was it considered an invasive species in your area ? Iv'e always thought it would be good habitat.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Along with canola, dead standing trees and a source of water.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah yes,wild hemp,young days pheasant hunting in western states,we smoked the shit... headach city...,pheasants ate the shit outof the seeds...made for easy targets holding tight.zero thc but we didn't care,big ass buds smelled like the real deal.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is wild hemp the same plant as what they grow for crops now days? Was it considered an invasive species in your area ? Iv'e always thought it would be good habitat.
I think the area southwest of Fargo grew lots of hemp for rope production prior to superior petroleum fibers being discovered. Those hemp plants can still be found here/there. At least they were 15-20 yrs ago.

https://www.farmcollector.com/farm-life/strategic-fibers/

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I think that it started back in the day for industrial use then became an invasive weed. if left untouched it can really take over but with a little work it isn't too bad to at least keep in check. It does seem to make really good bird habitat and we have had some that will grow in some woods of ours and the deer will use it to travel, buddy used to bow hunt near it and figured with he strong aroma it effected their smell some. Remember one dove I shot and opened up the crop it was fully loaded with hemp seed maybe that's why I was able to hit it

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious about dove ammo and hunting regulations, doves being a migratory bird,does your regulations require steel shot?,plugged shotgundont partake just curious,

1500fps 7.5 shot,guessing steel.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am guessing high velocity lead that is copper plated. Just a shot in the dark.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious about dove ammo and hunting regulations, doves being a migratory bird,does your regulations require steel shot?,plugged shotgundont partake just curious,

1500fps 7.5 shot,guessing steel.
No steel yes on the plug. I am glad you need a plug i run through enough shells as it is haha. It is easy to run it to the plug with the semi auto. I got a case of fiochi 7.5 shot this year and it worked good for me. It was cheap ot

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually run the cheapest I can find for doves because yeah I miss allot but using the high velocity ammo was double the price but my average jumped way up not many misses now finding the little suckers after the fall is a different story and if the dog doesn't see it fall they have trouble finding them I wonder if the smell is different or just weak cause they could be standing on it and not notice lol but they find every other game bird curious how other breeds react to doves

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88