Driving to Alaska

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
MapQuest says it is about 47 hours to Anchorage. I have done other map quests to other locations and have found the hours that MQ spit out are often times way too conservative..ie...I made better time than MQ projected..nooo..I don't have a heavy foot..most of the time.
At any rate, for those who have done the drive, what has been your time? My older brother and I would be doing it non stop, except for fuel, bathroom stops. Destination is Anchorage.
Oh..and one other item..This journey will take place late Feb. so would need to factor in winter weather driving. My older bro has said for a couple years now that when he turns 60 he wants to make the drive north to watch the start of the Iditarod sled dog race that starts early March. I offered???? to go with him when he would talk about it...well...I think I am on the hook with him now as he has booked a room up there for next early March in Anchorage...haha....I am sure the journey will be a blast. Booked a B&B in Nome for the finish of the race. Probably have to take a flight from Anchorage to Nome. Should be interesting as I have never taken more than a week off at a time from work.
At any rate...looking for info from any of you who have made the trip and how many hours to drive.
Thanks!:;:cheers

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are driving straight through, why not fly and rent a vehicle when you are there? Sounds like a very LONG drive if planning to go straight to Anchorage.

I've found Google Maps and Map Quest to be relatively close on longer drives.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flying is still on the table. Rental cars prices there are highway robbery. We both agree that how we get there is just as interesting as what we do when we are there. But yeah..flying isn't out of the question.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it was in the summer, driving would be an adventure filled with lots of daylight and descent roads. In the middle of winter it sounds like a dark, miserable affair. I would fly in the winter.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you get 20mpg and fuel averages $3.00/gal (which is a wild underestimation in Canada), you're looking at almost a grand in fuel cost alone. You could fly out of Fargo to Anchorage in February for $700/per ticket, and that's after a very cursory search. Save your buttcheeks 90 hours of torture and fly! From what I've heard that highway is unreliable at best in the winter

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you get 20mpg and fuel averages $3.00/gal (which is a wild underestimation in Canada), you're looking at almost a grand in fuel cost alone. You could fly out of Fargo to Anchorage in February for $700/per ticket, and that's after a very cursory search. Save your buttcheeks 90 hours of torture and fly! From what I've heard that highway is unreliable at best in the winter

If you are talking the whole round trip...yes..perhaps a grand. Flying isn't guaranteed either..how many stops..my luck at missing flights or cancelled flights or missed connections isn't neat so would almost take the non stop option. Connecting flights with any layover time at all sux. Big waste of time!!!!!
Any of you scoundrels on here that have done the trip...driving up there in March that can tell me to STAY AWAY from driving? haha

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Between work and fun I drive 70-80K Mi/yr all in ND, SD, MN, and MT. I really do enjoy driving. And there's no fuggin way I'd drive to Anchorage in Feb/Mar. ND to Edmonton is an easy drive, good roads, mostly 4-lane 65-70MPH. Lots of mountain passes though between Edmonton and Anchorage.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
NOT IN FEBRUARY for this guy. Cold kills and the kind of COLD you could be facing on what you know will be less than optimal roads is NOT something I would tackle without some serious planning. On top of that, you are planning on sleeping in the car which makes for tired driving along with all the other road hazards. My safety is worth the extra grand it would cost me to fly. Be Careful and if you go, plan for trouble!!

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
went in the 70's when it was all gravel. Willy's jeep with a 289 and a camper.

Took 3 months there and back.

Beat vacation ever.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove it myself in January 1985. Fairbanks to Jackson Missouri took me 6 1/2 days. Back then many of the roads up there were gravel making summer travel very tough with a good chance of busting out headlights and windshields. The first couple thousand miles I drove on were snow packed roads that had been plowed making travel smooth and better than I thought it would be. I also had along about 25 gallons of gas in Jerry cans.it was a fun trip but I wore out the 15 cassettes I had. LOL

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove it myself in January 1985. Fairbanks to Jackson Missouri took me 6 1/2 days. Back then many of the roads up there were gravel making summer travel very tough with a good chance of busting out headlights and windshields. The first couple thousand miles I drove on were snow packed roads that had been plowed making travel smooth and better than I thought it would be. I also had along about 25 gallons of gas in Jerry cans.it was a fun trip but I wore out the 15 cassettes I had. LOL

NOW that answers the question I asked! I wasn't asking whether to fly or drive. I was asking if anyone as driven it during the winter and how long it took. Bunch of Nancy's.
haha Now..Anybody traveled it lately have any input?
Anyone else been on flights with delays and cancellations and being stuck in an airport that you didn't care to be in, throw up your hands and say...frick..I could have driven there faster? But beyond that, I think the experience would be awesome. Life is a journey,

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are talking the whole round trip...yes..perhaps a grand. Flying isn't guaranteed either..how many stops..my luck at missing flights or cancelled flights or missed connections isn't neat so would almost take the non stop option. Connecting flights with any layover time at all sux. Big waste of time!!!!!
Any of you scoundrels on here that have done the trip...driving up there in March that can tell me to STAY AWAY from driving? haha
Did you just use the term big waste of time in referring to a few hour layover on a flight in the context of driving the Alcan Highway in flipping February of all times!;:;rofl

Hell what are the odds of driving from ND to WA in February without tangling with some seriously shity roads let alone literally Crossing half a f****** continent! Not to mention the Fairbanks to Anchorage run is no small stretch of road either. That chunk alone is like driving from bismarck to past Hudson WI! If it was July it would be a blast .... monotonous but a blast. In February it would be a giant pain in the ass not to mention definitely raising the risk factor by a large chunk but hey you will have one hell of a story to tell if you make it.

The stretches of it I've been on you better add time to their estimates because if they're blasting slide paths the road can be closed for hours at a crack and often in multiple spots.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
BTW, I would LOVE to have the time to drive up there and back during the summer months. That may be something to put on the 10 year plan.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 38
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 15