Dumpin the Dip!!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought that this thread was going to be about eating some chips/dip while watching the SIOUX whip DU in hockey tomorrow. I guess since I never smoked or chewed, "dip" means something different to me than to a lot of others.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never really hung around any chewers, so never had the urge. In the early 80's we south fargoan hell raisers smoked camels, that nasty habit caught a ton of my friends

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
20161118_100618.jpg
This may help if you like the taste of coffee.
. This stuff will make you lick your dogs butt to get the taste out of your mouth.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit a few years ago using the equate brand lozenges, started up again when my blood sugars went through the roof. Had a discussion with my Dr. possible cancer etc vs uncontrolled diabetes issues. chew won out but since then I have gotten married to a wonderful fisherwoman that is quite a few years younger than me so I am probably going to quit again.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a buddy who uses a dr in tioga who uses hypnosis to quit smoking... he had smoked heavy for decades and went to her pretty much as a last resort to quit... he didn't even want to, but knew he needed to... he said he makes the 60 mile drive chain smoking, puts out his last one and walks in not wanting to... he walks out 1/2 hour later with no desire to grab them (sitting right if front of him) and lite up...

he has started again twice, once when his mother died, and one other time, smokes for a while, then makes another appointment or "tune up"... tune ups are free (or were), but he said it always worked the same, and he always threw her a hundred bucks anyway...

i'm close to the point of making the appointment for cigs... think it cost him like 3-$500, but that's cheap in the long run... i've pissed about enough $ down my leg with these killers, but i love to smoke, and hate doing what other people say i shouldn't... i just need to go from a defiant bastard to just a bastard...

good luck on your goal and accept whatever help is needed...

Myk Lund

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can do it!! I chewed Kodak wintergreen for 20 years. I started having some stomach discomfort problems just breathing in those potent fumes. I used the nic gum and it got me to 60 days and the cravings slowly got less intense. I chewed the nic gum for about 6 months and gradually got off of it. Then one day about 2 years tobacco free I was in the boat fumbling through the tackle box and stumbled upon a fresh tin I forgot I had in there. All alone I took a big dip........got the spins and very nauseous. Out it came and I was cured. That was over 10 years ago and I don't have any cravings whatsoever. My brain ties chew with being sick.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
but since then I have gotten married to a wonderful fisherwoman that is quite a few years younger than me so I am probably going to quit again.

:;:You and JuanR need to keep them young vivacious women stories to your selfs, starting to sound like bragging and nobody likes a bragger...............;:;bowdown

JuanR at least post pics of his younger wife to make us all jealous on occasion and to prove its true. hint hint.;:;popcorn

- - - Updated - - -

I once told my wife that when she turned 36 I was going to trade her in on two 18 years olds, she laughed out loud for a while and said I couldn't handler her so how was I to keep up with 2 half her age. Guess she got me there lol.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, told my wife the same thing when she turned 40, then again when she turned 50. Will probably tell her again when she turns 60.;:;rofl She told me the same thing your wife told you. Are all women the same? :;:huhGood luck to all of you that are trying to quit, you can do it!! I quit smoking cold turkey 29 years ago. The only problem I had afterward was when I was drinking booze, as I always had a drink in one hand, and a cig in the other.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never really hung around any chewers, so never had the urge. In the early 80's we south fargoan hell raisers smoked camels, that nasty habit caught a ton of my friends

Well i dont think u even know what hellraising is all about haha.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once told my wife that when she turned 36 I was going to trade her in on two 18 years olds said:
LOL my wife isn't 36 yet and I have no plans on trading her in

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit smoking just about a year ago. I started dipping soon after. One of these days I might give it a try quiting.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I commend you all on quitting and trying to quit. It's tough to do. I quit about 5 years ago... smoked 2 packs a day for quite a while.... When I was talking with my old boss about quitting he brought up Chantix. He said he used it to kick a 30+ year chew habit and said it worked awesome... I gave it a try and have been smoke free ever since.... Like most everyone has said, find something to occupy yourself for a few minutes while you are having a bad craving, it will pass.... the first 2 weeks of my quitting experience had me chewing probably 100 pieces of regular chewing gum a day, but it worked..... nice thing about Chantix is that It blocks your body from taking in any nicotine even if you do slip up.... it also causes your body to release the endorphins that it would normally release from nicotine intake so the whole process is generally more tolerable....

CrankinEyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Willpower is also big. When ever I had the urge I had to remind myself of all the reasons I wanted to quit in the first place. My vice was smoking but I think the reasons for wanting to quit are probably the same. 15 years smoke free now after several relapses.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its been about 5 months since I quit. I went with the Equate brand lozenges (lots of them) and gum but they helped. After about 2 months of them I went with just gum and lots of eating. Gained about 30 pounds but now that summer is here hope to lose that. Just keep trying and good luck.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I chewed for about 28 years. I chewed damn near 24/7. I quit 9 years ago. Both my parents smoked and when my mother came down with cancer and my father was diagnosed with COPD, I promised them I would quit. Went to a Dr and he got me a script for Chantex. That worked great! Not saying it was easy because it was the hardest damn thing I've ever done. My wife and kids tell me stories about how crabby and touchy I was when I was first quitting. Long story short, I love chew and still do, but I can't have it anymore. If I ever get bad news from the Dr and he says I will be checking out shortly, I'm going to get a can and start again. Going out with a smile on my face. :)Good luck guys! I was the worst of the worst and I am living proof that anyone can quit if they just find the right thing that works.
PS. I told my wife I wanted an image of a Skoal can lid for a headstone! :;:thumbsup

Fish On!

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement guys! I did quit for 4-5months about 6 years ago using Chantix and it did work pretty good. However, that stuff gave me some pretty intense and weird dreams which my Doc warned me of. One of my buddies tried to use it to quit smoking and it gave him such bad nightmares that he had to quit taking it. Not sure if I want to try that again or not but it is a possibility.
Fishing and drinkin beer are going to be the toughest times for me to go without, they were the last time. I'll need to find ways to deal with it during those times. I'm getting a game plan put together to stick to so I can make this stick this time.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
It helps to have an azzhole fishing pal that will hound you like an ex-wife looking for alimony should you try to falter in your endeavor. Best of Luck to ya greybeard. Get it done!!!!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement guys! I did quit for 4-5months about 6 years ago using Chantix and it did work pretty good. However, that stuff gave me some pretty intense and weird dreams which my Doc warned me of. One of my buddies tried to use it to quit smoking and it gave him such bad nightmares that he had to quit taking it. Not sure if I want to try that again or not but it is a possibility.
Fishing and drinkin beer are going to be the toughest times for me to go without, they were the last time. I'll need to find ways to deal with it during those times. I'm getting a game plan put together to stick to so I can make this stick this time.

They warned me about this as well... being the sick twisted Fokker that I am I was actually looking forward to it, but I never did have any side effects from it.... oh well, maybe next time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4