Dumpin the Dip!!

Txrdnck

I quit after 20 plus years myself. I don't have any secrets as to how but once my mind was made up I just told myself it's a decision. Same thing as deciding when and where to fish. It's all a mind set, hang in there.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you getting fatter?

No I haven't yet! Been trying very hard not to turn to food and so far have done pretty well. Lot's of gum, I have found I prefer dentine, and lots of water.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't seen this thread for a while now. I told my self that once bow hunting started I was going cold turkey. Tried before then made it 1 day. Tried it the monday before, still chewing.

To answer Sluggo's question. sometimes the shit creeps up on you. I started out when I was 25 yrs old. I start duck hunting with a buddy the chewed. Never tried it, no big deal. For 2 years it was only hunting with him. Then it turned into fishing trips too.

Made a long drive starting at 2Pm to Chicago needed a pick me up so I didn't fall asleep. Got there at 3 AM got done with my business at 10AM and headed back. Chewed the whole way back. Turned into a long distant drive habit, then the long turned into a driving habit. Then it turned into every fricken moment.

My wife hates it. She tolerated it when I was driving long distant drives but with chewing from the drive to work till I go to bed she is getting less tolerant. Stressers seem to make everything worse. family issues, house repairs, car issues, lack of getting exercise really F everything up for me. I know these are excuses, but it is a copping mechanism.

Hope you guys are going strong.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still going but I still want a big fat cope every time I see someone throw one in.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 months quit as of yesterday. It's not easy, but it's gotten better.

Some good info on killthecan.org that can help.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Commit lozenges (or the Sam's Club brand) are your friend. Worked great for me. Nicotine free for 3 months now. I'll be lucky to make it through hunting season though.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I chewed Kodiak mostly (and several other kinds occasionally) since age 13 or 14. I quit for a year at around age 27 with lots and lots of doublemint gum than started again. I quit cold turkey at about age 32 mainly because I couldn't afford it. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to quit but this is not the case for everyone. I have friends who smoke and have quit but some just can't quit even after 10-15 tries. I think it is harder for some than others. I never really got crabby with my wife whom I love dearly or with my son. I found quitting tobacco far easier than losing weight. Weight is my problem. Some came after quitting but I wasn't small before quitting (well, part of me was and still is). I am 45 now. I rarely get mouth sores since quitting. It can be done. It's not a cake walk but not impossible. I encourage everyone to try to quit tobacco. Now if I could lose about 80 pounds I would be happy. Last year I found out I have 40% blockage in one artery. I quit drinking gallons of Mt Dew, also cold turkey, and lost 40 pounds. I still don't drink pop but have gained back 30 pounds. I don't eat like I used to but still I stay heavy. Good luck everyone who is working on quitting.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, as others have said, if the doc ever tells me I have x amount of months to live I think I will than enjoy Kodiak again and a few Marlboro lights.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 months now with no chew. Have buddies who chew when we are together and it use to bother me but now I don't even think about it. I did stumble upon some coffee pouches that look just like the real deal but only contain caffeine.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not worth a crap. Fell off the wagon a few months ago so am starting over. Congrats to your 1 year

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Quit a year ago on Jan. 1. Second time quitting for me. Just got to the point where I knew it was doing harm to my body. Quit cold turkey. Not sure it's the best for everyone but I just got stubborn and every time I felt the need for a chew I refused to give in. Maybe being stubborn isn't all that bad. I did put on a little weight but part of that was I didn't exercise as much as I should. Am to the point now where I never have the desire for a chew. That wasn't a 1 week process. For me, probably at least 6 months before I lost all desire. After about 2 weeks the physical need was gone, the psychological need remained the longest.

Good for all of you who have quit. Once you're over the habit don't give in and tell yourself that 1 chew won't hurt. For me that's all it took after going about 5+ years without a chew. 1 led to another and then it was back to a regular habit. I told my wife that once I hit 80 I'm going to start again, what can it hurt at that age. Not true, once you're over the habit it's not needs feeding.

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
Having chewed since middle school, I know how the habit starts. Ive tried quitting many times, used gum, sunflower seeds, nicotine free chew, nicotine lozenges, and haven't kicked it yet. Longest without a dip was 17 days back in college. good on ya if you beat it.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I chewed for 24 years. I just got sick of it and decided it was time to stop. I seen a commercial for a chewing substitute called Smokey Mountain. I found a gas station that had it and tried it. It surprisingly tasted close to chew. I started buying that instead of chew in August 2016 so it has been about 6 months for me. I went crazy the first week with nicotine with drawls. I know I never would have been able to quite without Smokey Mountain. I highly recommend it. I sleep a lot better now and feel more energized in the morning.

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
It does taste similar, but the texture/consistency is off IMO. Ive tried that as well as the Grinds coffee pouches with limited success.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
on new years eve one year I decided I would quit chewing for a year just to say I did. I did not have one dip that whole year. On new years day the following year I started again. I guess I quit just to prove to myself I could. The way I did it was pretty much just mind over matter. When I would get cravings I would tell myself I'm a pussy and not to give in. I had some good mind games going on for the first couple weeks than it got better.

I just bought a log of Copenhagen today.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep plugging away. Tobacco sucks and i don't know why anyone starts but some of us did.
I quit smoking 12-14 years ago can't even remember when.

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last Smoke was 3/11/11 , chantix to help quit. Completely takes away the urge for nicotine. Know of a few that used it to kick the chew habit also.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
I quit 2 days after i got the news i had Colorectal CANCER. first day same old, 2nd day told myself i am done after 25 plus years, started with strawberry happydays?? then copenhagen. My mind over matter END all was my boat,(it sat in my garage all fall and i love fall fishing) and ice fishing. I haven't been able to do either one since surgery. Was it the cause?? Just getting back to work partial days now and getting back out in public and getting urges especially at the local hydraulic sandwich establishments. Its been since july 22nd.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kicked the dip for going on 10 months now. I quit cold turkey all mind over matter for me. I dipped for 15 years chewed lots of gum for the first week after that it was pretty easy for me. Every once in awhile when I'm out with the boys having a few or out ice fishing the urge hits me to have one when they take a dip but not to bad and have not caved yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56