Getting Grandpa an elk

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going over the idea of trying to get my grandpa a ND Cow elk tag and was looking for some input how possible it would be to get him on some cows. He will be 90 years old by next season and has never hunted elk before but always talks about wanting to go where i go out in western Montana, but i know he is definitely not in shape to go where i have gone. I took him on a antelope hunt a few years ago and he had an absolute blast and still talks about it all the time even tho we had bad weather and we were only able to get him on a doe. Like i said hes not in the greatest shape so i know he wont be able to Walk in very far at all but i have horses i can get him on so he could ride in a few miles hopefully. What is kind of the odds of drawing a cow Tag in most of the units I know way better then a bull but is it still not great odds? I guess most of my questions are kind of tips on what unit would be best to try get him a cow tag in that has good numbers with somewhat easy access and decent odds of drawing a tag? like said i do have horses to get him a little ways in from the road. Also I've only ever hunted elk in the rut with a bow so whats the best was to hunt cows during rifle season?

thanks for the advise.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
getting the tag is pretty much a guarantee for a cow.

E2 would be a good unit. A lot of landowners up there that will help you out. And some private land so you can drive places.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I agree with Bowhunter_24. I would say either E3 or E2 units are a good choice, if you do it in E3 let me know.

This is a QUALITY endeavor, I wish you the bestest of luck!

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe try for a cow moose tag also - I'd think you could fill one of those w/ out much physical activity if needed. Not the same as an elk, but still a new opportunity.

Good luck - hope he get a tag and you have some luck.

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe try for a cow moose tag also - I'd think you could fill one of those w/ out much physical activity if needed. Not the same as an elk, but still a new opportunity.

Oh good call I never thought of Moose! Thanks Allen and Bowhunter_24 also!

- - - Updated - - -

Are the odds pretty good for cow Moose tag as well I'm guessing?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was gonna say apply for cow moose as well. But you seemed hard pressed on elk.

moose is a little harder i think but still probably 50/50 or better. i dont know that for sure but everyone i know who has applied for one has got one. so seems legit.lol

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was gonna say apply for cow moose as well. But you seemed hard pressed on elk.

moose is a little harder i think but still probably 50/50 or better. i dont know that for sure but everyone i know who has applied for one has got one. so seems legit.lol

No problem for some reason Moose never even crossed my mind. I'm sure he would be just as excited with either. Now my thought is put in for both just if he draws both and we have good luck will need to invest in another deep freeze lol

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
So awesome your grandpa is still able to hunt at 90. Best of luck if he gets drawn!!

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cow elk will be easier to draw (then moose), however filling a cow tag is far from a guarantee in ND especially with a tag holder that might not be able to cover much ground.

Cow moose would be quite a bit easier to fill. For the most part, because private landowners are willing to help and the obvious difference in terrain. Bad part is drawing a cow moose tag isn't a for sure thing. I have known a few guys that have drew on first year and a few that have put in 3-4 times and still haven't pulled a tag.

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cow elk will be easier to draw (then moose), however filling a cow tag is far from a guarantee in ND especially with a tag holder that might not be able to cover much ground.

Cow moose would be quite a bit easier to fill. For the most part, because private landowners are willing to help and the obvious difference in terrain. Bad part is drawing a cow moose tag isn't a for sure thing. I have known a few guys that have drew on first year and a few that have put in 3-4 times and still haven't pulled a tag.

Thanks i think ill probably put him in for both and see what happens.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
An E2 cow elk hunt is not an easy hunt by any means. I've seen a lot of people come out here thinking it's like shooting a mule deer doe and it's far from that. Getting a tag would definitely be the easy part. Getting an elk in an area for someone with limited mobility would require a lot of luck. A cow moose would definitely be a lot easier hunt although getting a license may be a bit tougher. Success rates for elk in E2 are less than 50% whereas most units with moose success rates are 90% or better.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
damn... i've applied for cows for both the last two years. drew neither. maybe need to look at my unit selection again.

Big C

Advice on cow moose and cow elk already mentioned is solid. Another option would be to look into a late season cow tag in either WY or MT. A bit more for a tag, but may be once in a lifetime for you and your grandfather so may be worth the extra $$. May also consider a guided cow hunt in either state to make it about 100% or lots of phone time lining up a ranch with elk problems. I have started taking my father on guided trips so we can simply enjoy the company and experience vs making it a marathon like we did in the old days!

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got Grandpa's name in the hat for both elk and moose cows. Now we wait impatiently and see what happens. If he draws something I don't know who will be more excited him or me! Thanks for those of you that PM'd me offering help if drawn I'll get in touch.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck to your Gramps! :;:thumbsup Being you put in for cows for both, you might just get both licenses in one year. :;:huh That would wear old Gramps out! :;:rockit

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be willing to bet if he showed up on any landowners door step stating he had a tag and asked for permission he would have a 99.9% chance of getting on to hunt.

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandpa got his E2 cow elk tag! Sure he will be out shooting his rifle every week till we go!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28