House boat vacation

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Pretty sure voyageurs NP is your only option. We did Keebels on Kabetogama probably 15 years ago. I was only a wee lad, but I thought it was really cool. If I did it again, I would probably go on Rainy Lake with rainy lake houseboats and take a trip to the east part of the lake.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
We Started out of Crane Lake. The motor on a 45 ft 15 ft wide was a 50 hp. The waterpump kept running and killing the battery. The grill on the front deck shot flames six feet high and only about six inches of one burner had any flame. The new screens on the windows was so course hummingbirds could have migrated through it. I was so bit up I had allergic reaction and had to go to the doctor. This was ten yeas ago and the price was $2800 for a week. We had our own generator and motor for the tow boat.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG holy sheep shit! I was going to recommend crane lake as my friends really liked the boats/fishing.

My best house boat travels was in utah on lake powel,boy is that a cool trip/landscape and great fishing(huge stripers(not the dancers),walleye,bass,crappie and trout,hooked a big ass catfish one night as well),fossils/petrified wood everywhere on the mineralized sand dunes.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We rented a houseboat on Leech Lake a million years ago. Was a good time and would recommend them.
Hiawatha Beach Resort. A few miles north of Walker, home of the famous Reeds Sports.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mark me down for a cabin w/AC, hot water, flush toilets, no bugs, and I'll bring my own boat thank you very much.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only story that I can share is my uncle and a few of his fishing buddies tried to do a houseboat trip in northern MN and they lasted two days of a week long trip. The boat was infested with mice. He tells a fabulous story of trying to go to sleep with mice scurrying across and into his sleeping bag on the first night. They tried sleeping outdoors on the deck the second night but had the same results.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
The only story that I can share is my uncle and a few of his fishing buddies tried to do a houseboat trip in northern MN and they lasted two days of a week long trip. The boat was infested with mice. He tells a fabulous story of trying to go to sleep with mice scurrying across and into his sleeping bag on the first night. They tried sleeping outdoors on the deck the second night but had the same results.

OMG! That sounds like a story line from a horror movie!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
my group did a lac soul house boat trip as remote cabins were infested with mice,towed our fishing rig as far north as we could go,big time muskie trip,first night same as above the willards came alive,in to everything,we tried to tuff it out,killed a bunch but the are crafty,lasted two days,as the muskies were worth the inconvience of mice.,Never went back.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys with mouse issues, you should have employed the pickle bucket method of drowning multiple mice to rid them

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
my group did a lac soul house boat trip as remote cabins were infested with mice,towed our fishing rig as far north as we could go,big time muskie trip,first night same as above the willards came alive,in to everything,we tried to tuff it out,killed a bunch but the are crafty,lasted two days,as the muskies were worth the inconvience of mice.,Never went back.
Mice make great bait for muskies, so boat came with bait. What did the boat people have to say when you bought it back? LB

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mice make great bait for muskies, so boat came with bait. What did the boat people have to say when you bought it back? LB

lol they said "meh" didn't give a shit just wanted our money.

Ever see the musky fishing commercial,two guys pichin musky lures along a shoreline,nearby a lady started screaming my dog my little poodle,a big fish came and took her away,guy fishing said "what color was your dog as they changed out lures...crack-up

used mouse top water lures for bass years ago in heavy lilly pads,fun when the bass blow up on the pads,hook sets are scary most often as you miss the strike just react lure comes flying back at ya, on soule we were over deep water 60' +fow down rigger set at 20' with 13" eel plastic,had a strike and teeth marks on our 10lb down rigger weight shaped like a fish in lime green quite the day.good times.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys with mouse issues, you should have employed the pickle bucket method of drowning multiple mice to rid them

From the story told to me the bucket would have been full in no time at all. My uncle said one of the final straws was the mouse that woke him up by scampering across his face. They got into everything they brought on board and even were smart enough to go to the boats they brought with by going across on the tow lines. It took him a few days to trap them all out of the boat when he got home. The story still brings tears to my face every time i hear it...........

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33