I seen a few 1000 Deer on Sunday.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was out hunting/driving around and seen a few 1000 deer on Sunday I never seen one Coyote in the same quarter as the deer. I did see 14 Coyotes and all were near cattle. I watched one rancher feeding his cows and watched two Coyotes walking in with the cows and they never ran from the tractor. I have been watching the same herd of about 75 for over 3 weeks. There is one real nice buck in that herd and he still hasn't shed his rack. I normally go out on Friday afternoon and look at the deer and again on Sunday. The biggest herd has over 300 and have been in the same corn field for two weeks. I have only seen one dead deer so far this winter and it hasn't been touched by Coyotes in over a week. I have seen one herd in a bale pile, and that herd is maybe 3 miles from the nearest corn field as its pretty deep in the sandhills.

Lots of Turkey and a few big flocks of over 200. The one big flock has been on top of the silage pile every time I go by that ranch.

The Pheasant's have been looking good, I see 100's everyday I'm out.

Same with the Grouse and Partridge lots of them.

I think what has helped the wildlife is we haven't had a 2 or 3 day blizzard so far this year. Some of the corn fields have opened up on the tops of the fields.

I stop and look every place deer cross the road and jump the fence and have yet to find a shed.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have about 20 sheds but small, maybe one 6 point clean in the mid 70 score. Yes they have herded up. Feeding hay and corn in hopes of having them drop close by. They all look good. Camera had pictures of fawn being taken down by coyotes. Got some of them coyotes the next night coming up. Not seen one since at that spot on camera. And for now the moose have left. The bigger ones should drop soon and snow needs to melt to find all. db

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure hope most of the huns make it through the winter lots of coveys around.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I sure hope most of the huns make it through the winter lots of coveys around.

I have seen more Partridge this year than the last 10 yrs combined. We have 7 in and around are place. As soon as a Horned Owl or Snowy Owl shows up they will be gone in a couple of weeks.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last week I come up on 2 mule deer bucks south of Lefor, both had pretty decent racks on them still

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hornbachers you say.

Can you give the exact location? db

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had to go 75 miles NE of Minot for work today. If I seen 1 pheasant I seen 2000. If I seen 2000 pheasants I seen 1000 partridge. Probably seen well over 500 deer also. Lets hope after the next 3 days of shitty weather it gets better the rest of the winter.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a lot of partridge up here to. No birds of prey. db

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been noticing a slight ratcheting up of aggression in the deer herd around here. They are pawing, boxing, and generally pushing each other off the food more. The fawns of course take the brunt of the pounding. I've run the whole bunch off a couple times to let the fawns get some food as they are the ones that either don't run or they are the first to return. Hope we don't get too hammered by winter in the next weeks. Fingers Crossed!!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had to go 75 miles NE of Minot for work today. If I seen 1 pheasant I seen 2000. If I seen 2000 pheasants I seen 1000 partridge. Probably seen well over 500 deer also. Lets hope after the next 3 days of shitty weather it gets better the rest of the winter.

I haven't thought of this in years. If I'm lying I'm dying. Back in '00; pard & I were on a "spot and stalk" just after Christmas. NW of Lansford I spotted a couple huns scratching in sunflower stalks. As you know partridge will generally land at the first change in terrain. They flushed out of range as Pard tried to put the "sneak on" then landed in some standing brush about 300 yds away. Despite the waning light and the freaking -15 we decided to give it a go.

The snow had a loud assed weak crust and was nearly knee deep. The go sucked. I became cussing mad with a brittle mustache and snot freeze dried to my face. We got about 150yds from the brush and this happened except with Hungarian Partridge:

cache.php

We stood there totally astounded and both suddenly as comfortable as if on Miami Beach. The above pic is an accurate representation. In retrospect we should've continued on for a chance to limit on the 100+(?!) lurkers. We watched the mass act like the above pic for about five minutes then touch down along the east/west road to the south (800yds?).

We walked back to the truck without gloves, open bibs and faces steaming. I turned east toward 83 and the mass launched north in the purple as they were hit with headlight beams. It appeared they went back to the same brush. This happened on 31 December 2000.

I never dreamed huns could be a rarity. In about '03 different pard & I killed a five covey on 83 with an '01 Impala during a blizzard. Nothing I could do. They ran in the road and the spoiler clipped their heads. The base lights during a blizzard provide an orange glow akin to daylight and all birds were recovered. Pard was/is a good cook and we all had fine eats from a crockpot the next night. Zero damage other than broke skulls and necks.

Like this. Skip to 2:28:

https://youtu.be/4j2SKxlGns4

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
And in our area in western ND you cant find a deer. Put a camera and feed out in an abandoned farmstead that usually holds at least a couple dozen deer every year.
Its been out for 5 weeks with a solar panel and not a single deer pic. Its going to take years to come back from these two back to back ehd years that's for sure.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
And in our area in western ND you cant find a deer. Put a camera and feed out in an abandoned farmstead that usually holds at least a couple dozen deer every year.
Its been out for 5 weeks with a solar panel and not a single deer pic. Its going to take years to come back from these two back to back ehd years that's for sure.

NDGF better start killing the herd this winter while the sharpshooting is easy - so as to reduce the spread of EHD next year.

- - - Updated - - -

#science

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
need picture set up trail camera. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137