• Propane

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • Electric

Votes: 121 50.4%

• Total voters

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
fyi for the guys with clam plates. I read they are recalling a bunch made for 8" due to a bad gear box (more clam chinese junk)

Got mine last year about this time. No issues yet. Works like a charm. Haven't heard anything about a recall. Yet.
Drill baby drill

KBV

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clam plate with the k-drill is pretty hard to beat for ice under 18" thick. The weight of it is what won me over for sure.

Predel

Electric will improve but when will it be perfect? Never. For me I love my ION. It's lighter than my old reliable Jiffy Model 30 https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-augers/ (until it finally wore out after many years of use), it starts at the squeeze of the trigger, it has reverse. The best auger depends on what type of fishing you do. Late last winter when the ice was thicker I could drill about 30-40 holes. For me that is more than I will drill most days but for some that is barely half of what they will drill.
For me an 8 inch is also plenty big. You can bring a 20# northern through a 6-inch hole. If you have young kids fishing with you and you use a 10-inch auger you are eventually going to have a boot full of water. As earlier, best is defined by what you want and need.
But i was lucky enough to buy a 2HP Eskimo with a Tecumseh engine on it before they went out of business. Bought it probably 8 or 9 years ago now. Fires up right away, had the carbs professionally cleaned two years ago, still haven't replaced a spark plug. Been a great gas auger. I wouldn't have an issue with buying another gas auger, but it would for sure be a two stroke.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think electric and propane suck. Can’t use 10 inch holes and once ice is thick it’s a whore.

Established Member
Jiffy model 32 its well over 30 years old starts and runs like the day I picked it up

Mgx2400

Honored Member
Love my eskimo z51! Wouldn't get any other brand viper_09132012_131532.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep Eskimo has been the best “factory” #powerhead I have used. Clam plates look like a whore.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Eskimos definitely work, but i beg to differ in the power heads, they tend to vibrate terribly. I've used some that literally hurt my hands after 1 or 2 holes because the vibration was so intense. Ill take the silky smooth Honda any day.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Currently have a 2016 Eskimo Stingray...33cc...8 inch. Cut through the thick stuff last year with zero issues...chipper blades were great.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had an 10" eskimo propane before going K-drill and prefer the electric. I won't get as many holes, but the weight difference is substantial and a big deal for me. I never had any issues with my eskimo propane auger, started every time and always ran well. Can't say the same for the Jiffy propane auger; a buddy of mine has one and it wouldn't start worth a shit several times while on the hard water, especially on sub-zero days.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Eskimos definitely work, but i beg to differ in the power heads, they tend to vibrate terribly. I've used some that literally hurt my hands after 1 or 2 holes because the vibration was so intense. Ill take the silky smooth Honda any day.

Agreed about the vibration. I went from a Honda to an Eskimo so it was noticeable difference in weight and vibration. Here’s the downside to the Honda IME: warm up time, lazer blades, and troubleshooting motor issues (2 vs 4 stroke)

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got mine last year about this time. No issues yet. Works like a charm. Haven't heard anything about a recall. Yet.
Drill baby drill

realize this is old. but, mine has no gear box. direct from the drill to the K-drill auger. it think it just serves to takes some stress off of my drill and my limbs.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
The clam base plate: for those who want to add weight and bulk

i would have to disagree. its got another purpose. i can explain better when i have time if it isn't already in this thread someplace. me and guywhousesaugers have done our best to explain why we like them before.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
They take stress of your drill for sure because the drill is just turning the auger and not getting all the sideways torque. They take stress off your arms and wrists, they take stress off your trigger finger. They make mounting the unit to an ATV way more convenient. They make mounting different types of augers to the drill way more convenient, and using auger extensions as well. I can still lift my whole setup with a finger, so I don't think weight of the plate is an issue.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Musky's positives plus laying it down with the plate keeps drill off the slush and getting froze up. Plate is a big win.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll stick with my 4 stroke Honda. Mainly because I don’t ice fish enough to justify another purchase.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33