Ice Pirates??

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guys who took this pic went to the spot they were at last night. Are they too close to the other group?

IMG950120.jpg

nybs

Honored Member
If the fishing was good send me coordinates and I will come measure & let you know;)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes easy two man limit (8) in SD 17 inch fish.

- - - Updated - - -

My brother sent me this bad pic from his phone, to my phone. I used my phone to upload it, but now that I'm at my computer, I can type and set up the situation a little better.

He's been fishing this spot for about a week or so, and doing well. It's a very popular spot easy to see from the bridge, and not hard to get too, except for a big hill some people don't like. But when its hot there are usually a lot more people there than that. When he sent me the pic, I thought it was to show me that strange looking rig they were using. Hours later he called me. He said they got there about 4 and seen those guys but went to holes he's been using and broke them open and started setting up. They were about half done when they noticed two sticks in a couple of the holes he used yesterday. They were all ready committed to the spot as the fish hit at sundown. One of those five guys came over and started chewing their ass about being too close, and on top of two of their lines. They said they should call GFP and turn them in. My brother said they didn't even see those two lines on sticks over the holes until they were about done setting up, and that if anything, they would get in trouble for unattended lines so go ahead and call em. Then later he could hear them talking loud and calling them names like morons and assholes, and shouted over that they were going to put them on social media.

My brothers buddy is an introvert who doesn't like conflict and it just ruined their day, even though they caught fish. They're both in their late 50's and just want to enjoy an evening of fishing. A guy shouldn't have to put up with a bunch of bullshit when trying to enjoy the outdoors, especially wen you've done nothing wrong. Clearly by the pics they are not too close. How much room can 5 guys take up anyway. I've had guys set up between me and groups that far away before! Especially when they were walking out, its not like you can drive around all over it right now, hell I'd be nervous walking my fat azz out there on 3-4 inches. I just might have to go down there fishing with him during break, hopefully I'll catch a fish and mayby hit a double leg on some mouthy punk.

dirtybirds14

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished a spot and did good. Then came back the next night and some guys were already set up where I was the previous night. Guess I never think of setting up by others unless I know them obviously. A lot of room on most bodies of water, pull out a contour if possible and look at a different option. First come first serve basis really, sucks but that's the game if people don't know the area but see fresh holes they'll probably set up.

BTW: I don't think they were to close, but some people are dicks. I would've just dealt with it personally, not going to get into a pissing match on the ice about someone fishing by me.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clearly those five guys have never fished Audoban.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly those five guys have never fished Audoban. I would be more than comfortable setting up at that distance but different people have different thoughts about it. If the particular piece of structure i wanted to fish isn't huge and the other people were there first I have gone over before i drilled and asked people if I would be in their way fishing where I intended to drill. Most people aren't assholes but I can see where it could ruin your day. One time I was shorefishing by fort rice and another guy came in and fished beside me, parked so close to my truck that you could stand between reach out and touch both vehicles.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
No issues with fishing the distance away that appears in the picture.

Only issue I see is the other guys had lines spread which means your brother should have moved further away IMHO.

Otherwise, it’s fishing. Who cares.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is it that hard water fishermen on structure think they own the area while open water guys are literally playing bumper boats while fishing structure without a problem

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is it that hard water fishermen on structure think they own the area while open water guys are literally playing bumper boats while fishing structure without a problem

Because finding structure and/or moving to different structure is easier in a boat than it is on the ice.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s either west end of bridge or water plant. If you don’t want to be close to people don’t fish there I am about guess who was bitching. Looked like a damn Polaris dealership last night. Still deer hunting and coyotes to kill I care less and less about ice fishing every year. I was hoping this weather would open her back up for some late season ducks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The same rules of goose hunting apply to ice fishing. If you want the spot, get there first. Now the dropping a couple lines in, walking away, and still thinking it's your spot is BS.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah they were on Chief Gall point west of bridge. Only two groups there when I've seen that point packed with three times as many people. Like I sad earlier, they didn't even see the two sticks they had over there until they were almost done setting up. If those guys think they can spread out 50 yards in every direction in that area, they're gonna be having conflicts all winter.

I can't get out until maybe next Monday, I'm sure they'll slow way down by then, usually happens that way.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Then later he could hear them talking loud and calling them names like morons and assholes, and shouted over that they were going to put them on social media.

WOW, just wow. Is that the same as calling the internet police on someone on the web?

I'd have ignored the assholes and kept fishing. 40 years ago there were other ways to work things like that out.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here are the rules for ND. Don't know the ones for SD.

1.Fish houses may be placed no closer than 50 feet in any direction from another fish house, without consent of the other fish house occupant.
2.Fishing holes outside a fish house may be placed no closer than 10 feet from the house without the consent of the fish house occupant.
3.Fishing poles must be easily visible and within a maximum distance of 150 feet of the participating angler

Many years ago the son and I went ice fishing up at Darling. We stopped to set up in a spot probably 75 feet from another house and the dick stepped out the door and hollers over to us "Hey you can't be any closer than 50 feet". I looked at my son and back at the guy and shouted back "Ok we will move, we don't want to fish next to an asshole anyhow".

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the pirate flag out. F em. Find out if they are coming back tomorrow and drop a nice deuce down 1 of their holes.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW, just wow. Is that the same as calling the internet police on someone on the web?

I'd have ignored the assholes and kept fishing. 40 years ago there were other ways to work things like that out.

They did exactly as you said, they kept fishing and limited with nice fish in just a few hours.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
You icefishermen I tell ya.. "Jerks on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other"

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49